IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Baking is an exact science, cooking is art
Baking, you put exactly x of this, y of that, and z of whozits, and mix for two minutes precisely and bake at a given temperature for a specific amount of time and it comes out perfectly. Screw up one thing and your dog will not touch it.
In cooking, the recipe is more or less a suggestion as to how it should be done. You do it by eye and taste and season incrementally. I had a cooking teacher hold out her hand and indicated her palm saying, "This is exactly one teaspoon". The recipe tells you what the ingredients are and approximately in what proportion. It just gets you through the first time, and if you are not taste testing the food as you are cooking to see if it is coming out how you like it, you should probably replace the cook with someone who cares.
I have some signature dishes down that I can reproduce the same way every time. Chilly, on the other paw, vary depending on season and weather. Winter, cold and gloomy, I make with a lot of chipotle pepper an cayenne for a darker flavor. Summer and spring chilly has a lot of fresh chilly peppers an a much lighter flavor. Tastes for times, horses for courses. Cooking is fun, and art if you're really into it. There are no hard rules except you don't put oil or butter into a cold pot, and you don't cut fingers off while chopping.

Just my $0.02
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Wakarimashita!
The flavor content can vary a lot in any case. So, I get your point!

"Flavor to taste."
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Totally with you on the chili
I vary a lot depending on season, and on what I'm doing with it. A bowl of chili isn't the same as what I put on my nachos, which isn't what I put on a hot dog.
--

Drew
New Precision in baking.
Some writers of baking cookbooks and recipes want to give ingredients by weight for better precision, but complain that publishers force them to use measures.
New I think baking _can_ be an exact science.
But isn't always. I make bread every two to four days and the recipe that I like in my bread machine is pretty forgiving.

On the other hand, I struggle to make a decent cake mixture from scratch.

Wade.
New Baking is an adventure.
I make Cowboy Cookies once or twice a year. It took me about 10 years to get it "right" after we bought our house due to vagaries of the ancient electric oven.

It took a few years to figure out how to cook a Digiorno "rising crust" frozen pizza properly, too. If I used a pizza pan, the edges were always overcooked before the center was done. I eventually learned that if I used a pan I needed to make an aluminum foil "fence" around the edge to keep it from cooking too fast. If I don't use a pan, the "fence" isn't needed, but getting the temperature an time right is still a work in progress (especially if adding toppings late in the cooking).

Home chemistry is fun!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Mulligatawny Soup - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         3/4 inch Ginger root? - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             Baking is an exact science, cooking is art - (hnick) - (5)
                 Wakarimashita! - (a6l6e6x)
                 Totally with you on the chili - (drook)
                 Precision in baking. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 I think baking _can_ be an exact science. - (static) - (1)
                     Baking is an adventure. - (Another Scott)
             Re: 3/4 inch Ginger root? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 And that is Hugh's point as well. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 So it depends how big the root in your hand is? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     its not the size, its what you do with it, Andrew explained that -NT - (boxley)

The Elvis Presley Dambusters Clock-Plate Of Tutankhamen
85 ms