IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's scary to watch.
I had the book "In The Shadow Of The Sword" on my GoodRead's wishlist for ages before I found a reason to put some moolah down to buy it. It attempts to trace the history of how the Quran came to be, which by necessity means describing the history of the Levant and the Middle East from roughly 0AD to about 700AD (I'm a bit fuzzy as to the exact date).

The history is fascinating, because it includes how the Eastern Roman Empire became Christian, a slice of history I'd not heard told before. It also tells of how the Arab tribes had a consistently warlike relationship with their neighbours since practically forever.

When the author turned his narrative to the stories about the Prophet, he admitted that there is a awful lot of early material simply missing. You might think there's a lot missing about the early Jewish scriptures. There is an ocean of material about that compared to early versions of the Quran: because they either do not exist or are under heavy lock and key. Just once he made the suggestion that the later Muslim scholars watched very carefully how first the Jews and later the Christians redacted and edited their own scriptures. This meant they figured out how to shape the Quran and Islam so both are set in stone with no room to move.

Now, that's just one scholar's effort. But even if it's vaguely correct, there are other signs that Islam was designed to not move with the times.

Wade.
New Re: It's scary to watch.
Reviews seem to indicate that Holland didn't do his research.

Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New That's why I'd like to read another book on the subject.
But I'm in no hurry. I'm not nearly so interested in the topic as I used to be.

I don't even remember how Tom Holland's book got recommended to me.

Wade.
New while it is true that the winners dictate how history reads
there is a buttload of stuff as an aside on how the muslims evolved
here is the 10 cent version
http://www.patheos.com/Library/Islam/Origins/Beginnings?offset=1&max=1
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Re: It's scary to watch.
Thanks, Wade.. a fine demo that, what. ever. one chooses to write about [the entire Religio- metaphysics topic], never shall there be a moment's respite from OTOH, since every single ant in the hive.. has his/her [only True Grasp©] of the entire enchilada.

What a Surprise..! that,
tales of onlookers, dwelling on a (probably..) flat Earth, over which the Sun God drove his chariot each day: should generate Point/counter-Point over each syllable "told as exact transcription"
… what, probably forever?

Assuming a polymath, with reading-for-comprehension skillz in the top 1% (we measure Everything, now) ingesting every chronicle from the Greeks onwards, then chroniclers (sorted by date/locale) of the suspected events, that seem to be of enduring Interest: how many (academic lifetimes) would be required to assimilate/analyze then outline some summary of all these homo-sap writings (whether creative opinions or putative first-person testaments: aka journal-ism') ??

Probably the limit of my interest in a topic, never-to-reach consensus, even as to the base-news-koan formula: Who What When Where (very rarely any remote provable!-Why) might be:
this lengthy Review of Holland's 'review' of (whatever eclectic sources he extirpated from the mass ..which he liked.)

(And if you like/hate his style ?? He has another bucket-of-worms,) under Why science ignores God. This essay is brief-enough; could be worth a scan or a giggle, depending..
Bon appetít, pursuers of truthiness (or even just plain satisfiction?)

I too, a Prophet, predict: that our jelloware is simply too primitive to Deal With "n-dimensional assorted Universes", for being demonstrably: unable to deal with this local one and its myths of.. Oh, say:
[Time=0 er, let's call that a Singularity, ergo FIFY] ;^>

Don't worry. Be Happy.
--Meher Baba

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
But always remember: Cops are armed and Dangerous; the corpus becomes corpse ... easily.
     What ISIS really wants - (malraux) - (39)
         very well written, thanks -NT - (boxley)
         Juan Cole's thoughts. - (Another Scott) - (29)
             whose reality? Yours? Mine? Abe from Sammara? - (boxley) - (28)
                 Cole has been studying this stuff for 40 years or more. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     death penalty for mischief on offer - (boxley) - (2)
                         Almost 6 years ago? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             last nov 2014 better time fr ya? - (boxley)
                 It must be hard for many Muslims . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                     It's interesting to watch - (pwhysall) - (22)
                         Ha! - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                             You can "Ha!" all you like. You're arguing against a point I didn't make. - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                 Can't we just elect a gay, atheist woman of Jewish ancestry? - (drook)
                                 back when your betters were kowtowing to the royals - (boxley) - (12)
                                     Real question - (drook) - (11)
                                         thats what you have courts for - (boxley) - (8)
                                             Colbert did a bit about this - (drook) - (6)
                                                 eh? bhudist muslim hindu anglican lutheran catholic unitarian - (boxley) - (5)
                                                     You count Anglican, Lutheran and Catholic as "other"? - (drook) - (4)
                                                         you counting them in the same group as liberty university graduates? I dont -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             That's a different question - (drook) - (2)
                                                                 Obama did. He's Muslim. I heard that on the radio. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                     Did Rev Wright know that? -NT - (boxley)
                                             not a chance - (crazy)
                                         Neither. Both are equally bad. - (mmoffitt)
                                         Clearly the latter, of course - (Ashton)
                             rush is gay? -NT - (boxley)
                         It's scary to watch. - (static) - (4)
                             Re: It's scary to watch. - (malraux) - (1)
                                 That's why I'd like to read another book on the subject. - (static)
                             while it is true that the winners dictate how history reads - (boxley)
                             Re: It's scary to watch. - (Ashton)
         Adam Silverman's take. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             [Cool Hand Luke} 'What we've got here is a failure to communicate' [/Cool] - (Ashton)
         ThinkProgress's take. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             cair? really? couldnt you find something on briebart? -NT - (boxley)
             "Council on American-Islamic Relations" - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 "the proof is in the pudding" - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     In response to the kind of Muslim initiated mass slaughter . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Conscience-free slaughter proves their felt-immunity to any communication with others. - (Ashton)

Whenever someone says, "Show, don't tell," aren't they violating that exact rule?
105 ms