IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A new tribe coming? 'Constitutional Conservatism'
It seems that the bafflegab has not reached anywhere near-bottom. :-/

Kilgore points out that there might actually be a new factor that could change the equation if the rest of the GOP wakes up to what it is:

I do worry that the still-emerging ideology of “constitutional conservatism” is something new and dangerous, at least in its growing respectability. It’s always been there in the background, among the Birchers and in the Christian Right, and as as emotional and intellectual force within Movement Conservatism. It basically holds that a governing model of strictly limited (domestic) government that is at the same time devoted to the preservation of “traditional culture” is the only legitimate governing model for this country, now and forever, via the divinely inspired agency of the Founders. That means democratic elections, the will of the majority, the need to take collective action to meet big national challenges, the rights of women and minorities, the empirical data on what works and what doesn’t—all of those considerations and more are so much satanic or “foreign” delusions that can and must be swept aside in the pursuit of a Righteous and Exceptional America. I don’t think at this point “constitutional conservatism” has taken over the GOP, but its rhetoric and the confrontational—even chiliastic—strategy and tactics it suggests are becoming more common every day, even among hackish pols who probably don’t think deeply about anything and would sell out the “base” in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

This is the ideological undercurrent that feeds the Glenn Beck cult and the gun proliferation zealots. It’s what makes Cliven Bundy a hero, however briefly. It too has been around for a long time, but until recently it was confined to the fever swamps around fringy characters like the Christian Reconstructionist Howard Philips and the Constitution Party. Any guess whose famous daddy has been consorting with those fine fellows going way back? That’s right, the great transpartisan hope, Rand Paul. Kilgore is right to be concerned about this strain. As he says, the sad little club of dupes known as the Tea Party isn’t really the problem. But this might be.

Heather Digby Parton, also known as "Digby," is a contributing writer to Salon.

This is very OLD.. I knew-not that label when hearing the fulminations of my Bircher-Gramma; that this sub-group now might be achieving influence..
should bear much more than Watching--by remaining adults of whatever sub-stripe.
Does clinical insanity spread like Ebola, or lay-in-wait like herpes and AIDS-strains?
New Re: A new tribe coming? 'Constitutional Conservatism'
Just another attempt at rebranding a la compassionate conservatism. The simple truth is that it was neither compassionate, nor conservative in any real sense of the word (i.e. in the way it's used in the rest of the English speaking world outside the newspeak reaches of US political discourse). I'm pretty sure that constitutional conservatism will also be neither.
     A new tribe coming? 'Constitutional Conservatism' - (Ashton) - (1)
         Re: A new tribe coming? 'Constitutional Conservatism' - (jake123)

Whatever they're promising, I promise the same - plus a pony.
35 ms