IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, many of the businesses with the greatest need . . .
. . are simply too cheap to ever have systems that work (not too cheap to buy that new Mercedes SUV, though).

Qualifying customers is very important. If the guy you talk to has a copy of Computer Shopper on his desk, it's time to say, "I'll get back to you", - and then don't. If he's got time to sift through Computer Shopper, he's going to be nothing but trouble.

Further, when he needs something done, since you charge "a lot", he'll bring in a relative who works cheap, who will screw up everything 'till it doesn't work at all, then blame it on you, 'cuz you "did it all wrong". Then he'll expect you to come in and fix it all for free (and do that other thing he needs while you're there).

I still laugh over one woman who called many years ago (as you can tell by the rate I quoted her). She gave me her story about how her "computer guy" had been working for more than a day to get a modem working, and it still didn't work. I told her I did lots of modems and could probably get it working pretty quickly, and at only $60 per hour. "Oh", she said, "No, that's way too high. The guy who's working on it only charges $35 per hour".

It's very hard to be a generalist, because then you end up having to do all the work yourself. Specializing in, say, cabling, auto-id and barcode, backup systems, a particular POS system, industrial controls, etc. makes it possible to train others to do the work. This does, however, require far more and better marketing.

Never do stuff "on the cheap" to save a customer money - it's a losing proposition. Offer a solution that costs enough to work well and properly, and put in enough for good support, and if they say they can't afford it, politely decline the work. Otherwise, the client mentally associates you with that cheap stuff that doesn't work quite right and bad support, and when they're a little more prosperous, they call in someone else to do it right. That's the guy you want to be.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Big companies can be just as bad
My dad does auditing and quality assurance consulting mostly in the power industry. And many of those companies are worse then the small fry I did computer consulting for. You can forget getting paid in less then 60 days, the ones that are good with paying their bills time things so the bills are paid 60 to 90 days after invoice.

The bad ones take 90-150, assuming they didn't 'lose' the invoice or something else didn't go wrong. If that happens don't expect to see your money until you hire a lawyer or they need to hire you again.

One company my dad did work for was so bad that the UPS guys wouldn't take anything off or put anything on the truck till they had a check in hand. Took my dad the better part of a year to get his money from them.

Jay
New . . and in government too.
One of my clients has the Navy on C.O.D. because they can't pay their bills. It isn't that they don't want to, they just don't know how.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Heh.. I beat IBM
When I gave a sample of Tweek (the "contact enhancer" for 'dry' electrical connections) to Jerry Pournelle, at the SF Computer show, he named it Product of the Year ('85?) second to the original Laser Jet (!) This after he fixed an annoying keyboard intermittent.

I agreed to peddle small qty. orders to individuals and Cos. as sample/test orders (so he listed address in his column). IBM (Research Lab IIRC) wanted 10. Wanted me to invoice them. Said, not setup for that - send a check or MO. Wasted another letter re-asking. Week or so later a check arrived. Always wondered if they found out what a bizness advantage it could be: if your stuff had fewer intermittents, infant mortality failures - than your competitor's (?)

(In my experience.. most just didn't get it! The stuff worked - still does. All board edges, IC-sockets get Tweeked when I get something in. Just 'fixed' a SCSI board today, with some: BIOS chip not making contact. A lazy droid would have sold her a new board without even looking.)

Got the money from IBM in 7. Then shipped. [cackle..] But when the guy who did most of the design on Osborne1 wanted one: it was free :-)

Believe this-all has deteriorated in recent years; no such trouble in the audio consulting days with say, Crown, Revox, Marantz, or local distribs. If you were late-pay more than once: dogmeat.

Ashton
     The party's over for PC makers - (lincoln) - (20)
         Not much money in hardware - (orion) - (19)
             PCs aren't coming back - but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                 What do you suggest for a company - (orion) - (17)
                     You are wrong about services - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         With the right connections - (JayMehaffey)
                         Small and medium businesses - (orion) - (2)
                             Don't know where you were, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 I'm in Missouri - (orion)
                     Manufacturing proprietary stuff is the only way to make... - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
                         I don't believe that - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Re: I don't believe that - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                 As a market matures . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Applies in manufacturing as well - (ben_tilly)
                             So your advice to the young would be . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Da tovarisch, kewlovitch____ but - (Ashton)
                         Yes, many of the businesses with the greatest need . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Big companies can be just as bad - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                                 . . and in government too. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Heh.. I beat IBM - (Ashton)
                     #1 Know your customer. - (Another Scott)

Tool-wielding ape on board.
93 ms