(Jung would love the Scale! of today's Universal Weltschmerz, no?)

Yep, everything you said is non-speculative truthiness, IME.
In the '80s madness I traded Maple Leafs (we were boycotting Kruggerands for all obv. reasons.)
(Actually made a couple bucks.) But it was no more a sure-thing than any other horse-race.
But that was a relatively easy mob-action to stay a bit ahead-of.

As to gold + Art: in hindsight I should have held onto the the splendid Vacheron & C longer; my rationale was, that if I didn't spend the $$
for its periodic disassembly/replacement of oxidized fine-oil, it would deteriorate.
I also expected that pocket watches would be fancied by a diminishing lot.. Now.. they're Baaack! amidst the digital-$$aires and others with too-much money and no Cuth.
Not entirely-stupid, but a Bad-call, as in, Oh Well.. (didn't work to keep me humble, though :-/

Concur that, even at the worst of today's La La La whistling past that yawning cemetery--still far enough away to be wished away, "when the balloon goes up"
(Colin Fletcher's fav euphemism for Mad Max scenario) it is self-evident that shiny baubles will be useless--then all the troglodytes will be living-off their spoils from
those of us who always did Despise Guns and all the small-penised-ones who crave them unto psychopathy..

(Am pleased to number you among the short-list of level-headed folk I need not "worry about", as the (other) balloon fills with bloviation-gas/to mix metaphors again.)
By the time (not inexorable.. but likely) that we hit DefCon 5, I expect to be rather incapable of commandeering a suitably equipped dune-buggy
..and taking out marlowe clones ..with short-bursts.

(Doncha just Love It that: after all those $Ts for nukes, F22-->50? flying Terminators and the NSA?
(and their yottabytes of dirt-on-everyone,) über Alles in die Welt: NOBODY feels "secure"!!