IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Norfolk VA (+biggest-Naval-base): hors de (climate-) combat?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/in-norfolk-evidence-of-climate-change-is-in-the-streets-at-high-tide/2014/05/31/fe3ae860-e71f-11e3-8f90-73e071f3d637_story.html

In Norfolk, evidence of climate change is in the streets at high tide

NORFOLK — At high tide on the small inlet next to Norfolk’s most prestigious art museum, the water lapped at the very top of the concrete sea wall that has held it back for 100 years. It seeped up through storm drains, puddled on the promenade and spread, half a foot deep, across the street, where a sign read, “Road Closed.”

The sun was shining, but all around the inlet people were bracing for more serious flooding. The Chrysler Museum of Art had just completed a $24 million renovation that emptied the basement, now accessible only by ladder, and lifted the heating and air-conditioning systems to the top floor. A local accounting firm stood behind a homemade barricade of stanchions and detachable flaps rigged to keep the water out. And the congregation of the Unitarian Church of Norfolk was looking to evacuate.

“We don’t like being the poster child for climate change,” said the Rev. Jennifer Slade, who added that the building, with its carved-wood sanctuary and soaring flood-insurance rates, would soon be on the market for the first time in four decades. “I don’t know many churches that have to put the tide chart on their Web site” so people know whether they can get to church.

[. . .]

There's an interesting, (also stark) Chart of the Options open to this most-vulnerable of locales, depending upon the mind-state of the Body/corpse-Politic.

(I'd always thought the U.S. Navy to be among the smarter pillars of military orgs; ... guess we'll See.)

New Wasn't Virginia...
The state that outlawed considering Global Warming for any policy making?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New wow, per the article climate change is causing the land to sink at .12 inches a year
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New so sell the condo in 30 years?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New No - sell it now. Worthless in 30 years.
New 7 reasons America will fail on climate change
New Lovely conundrum, innit?
Does Not come-down-to: techno capability or other insurmountable obstacles: even, conceivably, there be good chances to get back to ~2˚rise: actually, 'In Time'.

Cutting then, through all the maddening anti-communication of Pol-speak, Certainty-freak-speech and the usual God-quoting tribes:
Aren't the ODDS, today, at least 4:1 that continuing pure-Greed (ever re-defined as Progress-->ever more toys) plus the immanent perpetual evasion of Reason;
that-all manifesting as Shrub-grade intransigence, thus Incorrigibility, species-wide:

Shall. Decide. the fate of homo-sap and, of the billions of non-perp! (mammals fershure) other vital links in Earth's ecological chain
--that 'LINK' which most people have rarely given a single though-to, amidst the daily diversions.. as our collective attention-spans become further indistinguishable from
Robots with cosmic-ray deranged transistors in crucial locales(?)

aka: You.. I.. have-not-Enough COMPANY within any or all the tribes, I wot.

Love. It. ..well, as a neat potboiler in a sci-fi novelette.. (which I could interrupt to step outside and scan Saturn, say) or play Taps, once-more, with-feeling?

As palpable 'Reality about an Evil/unreal perp Majority'? Can only say ____.
Cui bono? ... 3' cats with opposed-thumbs, next? (They have their fantasies/I can go with mine: who does not despise arrant-Stupidity?)
     Norfolk VA (+biggest-Naval-base): hors de (climate-) combat? - (Ashton) - (8)
         Wasn't Virginia... - (folkert)
         wow, per the article climate change is causing the land to sink at .12 inches a year -NT - (boxley)
         Goodbye, Miami - (dmcarls) - (5)
             so sell the condo in 30 years? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 No - sell it now. Worthless in 30 years. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
             7 reasons America will fail on climate change - (dmcarls) - (2)
                 Counterpoint to Ezra. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Lovely conundrum, innit? - (Ashton)

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm..."
45 ms