IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Two commercials
I think the first of these may actually have aired during the Superbrawl last month, because I remember catching it on broadcast and being startled at its sheer...disagreeableness. Well, I flatter myself that I've never been and never will be Cadillac's target demographic, or at least that if I'm targeted, their pitches will continue to veer wildly outside the strike zone. Anyway, here it is in all its nasty, smug, insular and jingoistic ugliness (or perhaps I should say ugly n'est-ce pas?):

https://www.youtube....tch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

It's probably unlikely I'll ever buy a Ford either, but kudos to their ad agency for this riposte:

https://www.youtube....m=gwt&app=desktop

cordially,
New Can't watch the Ford one right now, but ...
Look for the Daily Show segment on that Cadillac one. Sums it up nicely.
--

Drew
New link?
New Must be losing my mind
I could have sworn it was on The Daily Show that I saw it, but I can't find it anywhere.
--

Drew
New Re: Two commercials
The Cadillac commercial didn't make much of an impression during the Super Bowl. That is probably because I was in a good mood. But yeah, jingoistic crap.
New Boffo Ford! Oddly too.. a certain Fiesta already has
'my name on it', in abeyance..

Ode to a Suit
May 'Cadillac' brain-associations forever be attached to this (and Ayn's) icon, and each friend of a New owner,
on being shown the Shiny, reply
What? ... more Stuff??

My take, er earlier:
http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=387421

Ed: Oh, there's this too--cottage industry?
https://www.youtube....tch?v=u4L8QMNJyiU
Expand Edited by Ashton March 29, 2014, 06:15:20 PM EDT
New The parody at the second link
...lost me at the "Kubrick filmed the fake moon landing" bit. Pity: well done otherwise.

cordially,
New Dissonance here, too.
Snark is ubiquitous but here, maybe this guy thinks ...
New Now that I've watched it, yes, boffo Ford
--

Drew
New Shallow is as shallow does, sir. +10 for Ford.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt March 30, 2014, 12:04:47 PM EDT
New Unbelievable
I watch very little television, but I can not believe that a major corporation would put out a "commercial" that was so tin-eared to most of the watching population. I have to believe that their corporate leadership think that there are enough people out there who would identify with that self centered asshole, or they wouldn't have spent the money on the commercial. If they are right, I'm scared for the country. If they are wrong, I am scared that much money (= power)can be so misdirected.
I'd like an electric car though...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Corporate ads are not necessarily stupid.
There are plenty of people "who would identify with that self centered asshole" but not recognize that he is a self-centered asshole. Why that "asshole" is a picture of success that is obvious to all! A person to be emulated.

Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Ewww...
That is even more scarey.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Here is a sample:
http://www.ijreview....ican-cadillac-ad/

So, why do you hate America so much? :)
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New At the time, I read a [effort-at-a-riposte] from Ad-purveyor
(IIRC) Implication was that they knew it was ..snarky (at best, of any premeditation?) but probably beyond such droids to see it was also obscene. Also a litmus.
And this was Their Thing==it Did get 'attention' all right..

Still, with such panache as Ford's et al--one may still hope that the cumulative effect shall become the Corporate/devolved-effect of fucking karma.
(I hope it isn't beneath the dignity of Cthulhu ... to turn a whole room-ful into toads, say. Just for omnipotent-Fun.)
New Don't forget about the Useful Idiots.
I can see thousands of Tea Partiers (none of whom will ever have enough money to purchase a Cadillac) cheering the Cadillac ad. Can't you?
New no, that car is gay
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Interesting.
That Cadillac ad would never fly over here.

"What a wanker!" would be the reaction of John Average-Wage.

"What a cunt!" would be the reaction of John Lessthanaverage-Wage.

"What an oik! What's a Cadillac? Dear, have you seen the keys for the Aston?" would be the reaction of John Morethan-Averagewage.

Embarrassing.
     Two commercials - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Can't watch the Ford one right now, but ... - (drook) - (2)
             link? -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                 Must be losing my mind - (drook)
         Re: Two commercials - (gcareaga)
         Boffo Ford! Oddly too.. a certain Fiesta already has - (Ashton) - (3)
             The parody at the second link - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Dissonance here, too. - (Ashton)
             Now that I've watched it, yes, boffo Ford -NT - (drook)
         Shallow is as shallow does, sir. +10 for Ford. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Unbelievable - (hnick) - (6)
             Corporate ads are not necessarily stupid. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 Ewww... - (hnick) - (1)
                     Here is a sample: - (a6l6e6x)
             At the time, I read a [effort-at-a-riposte] from Ad-purveyor - (Ashton)
             Don't forget about the Useful Idiots. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 no, that car is gay -NT - (boxley)
         Interesting. - (pwhysall)

But if you're not fond of offal, they're prolly not good.
160 ms