IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I dunno
I mean, I get his points, I really do. That said, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try looking. Of course, there's the question of priorities and allocation of scarce resources...

Now, if we're talking about a situation where the money just goes to propping up an administrative overhead and it necessary perqs, well, that's a different issue entirely.

ETA: One other thing occurs to me; spending telescope idle time looking for weird patterned radio waves in places that aren't considered astronomically interesting may end up leading to something astronomically interesting... you could look at it as the ultimate version of blue-sky research.

ETA 2.0: While I'm at it... we are able to detect planets by the wobbles they create in their parent stars, as well as what happens to what we can see of the star's output when they pass in front of it. What would earth look like using those means? Just like another planet, or as a relatively bright radio source?

Some thought about what we look like from the outside looking in might help us figure out what we should be looking for. Planets that are anomalously bright in unusual wavelengths is probably a good candidate.
Expand Edited by jake123 Sept. 15, 2013, 11:55:13 AM EDT
Expand Edited by jake123 Sept. 15, 2013, 12:10:55 PM EDT
New Looking out is always good.
It wasn't that long ago that we didn't know that there was more than one galaxy in the universe.

http://amazing-space...son/discovery.php

I think PZ would agree.

His main beef is overselling the chance of contact soon:

Here’s Seth Shostak pumping up SETI again, and now he’s predicting contact with aliens within 20 or 25 years, or by 2030.

I should have included that opening sentence. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ah, you're talking about a disingenuous sales job
Sort of to be expected, even to be considered background noise (ha, see what I did there?) given how we seem to function on this continent.
New We do that.
[quote]While I'm at it... we are able to detect planets by the wobbles they create in their parent stars, as well as what happens to what we can see of the star's output when they pass in front of it. What would earth look like using those means? Just like another planet, or as a relatively bright radio source?

Some thought about what we look like from the outside looking in might help us figure out what we should be looking for. Planets that are anomalously bright in unusual wavelengths is probably a good candidate.[/quote]

It was mere months ago that I came across a story where there are researchers actively figuring out what we look like to Those Out There in a deliberate effort to help other researchers figure out what to look for.

And we've known about the unusual wavelengths idea for a long time. Turns out that the band of radio waves most useful to use for communication is the same space in the spectrum nature is at its quietest. More-or-less.

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     PZ: The SETI Boondoggle. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Until Cochrane is born. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         I dunno - (jake123) - (3)
             Looking out is always good. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Ah, you're talking about a disingenuous sales job - (jake123)
             We do that. - (static)

I am Xatptipltical, Frog God of Crap!
37 ms