IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Soonergrunt's been watching the trial.
http://www.balloon-j...loon-jobs-thread/

On a side note, Judge (COL) Lind has approved at least part of the Defense motion to combine charges for sentencing purposes, and reduced PFC Manning’s punitive exposure from a maximum of 136 years to a new maximum of 90 years. Many of the people I’ve talked to expect a sentence in the 10 to 20 year range. Testimony is continuing today with more personnel from the State Department.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Perhaps a Re-Education Camp is in order, yes?
New Practically a reprieve, eh? (+ a Larry Summers quip)
Lessee: at 120ish and with no 'retirement' accumulating 'during'..
He and his companion seeing-eye dog can push their purloined shopping cart amidst the ruins of DC, hoping for a few crumbs from the Mad Max Corps of de-Engineers
--well, if They're still around, even.

[er, this-all IS Theatre, ain't it--still??]
Tragedy
Comedy
Tragico-comic
Comedo-tragic
Existential Fantasy
Rap-doxology
and, Ooh--somewhat off-topic but in same thread, this gem

EconWatcher says:
August 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Maybe I missed it, but I haven’t seen a thread to complain about Obama pushing Larry Summers as Fed chair. So I’m forced to use this one.

Seriously, Larry Summers may be the biggest jerk in Washington. A bold statement, I know, but I think his record warrants it.

He’s a classic VSP. Often wrong but never in doubt. He managed to dis just about everyone who was more prescient than he was leading into the financial crisis (a large crowd). He’s one of the geniuses who thought it was a great idea to leave credit default swaps and other derivatives entirely unregulated. He has to be one of the greatest recent examples of failing upwards.

And he’s just temperamentally unsuited for any job that requires more diplomatic skills than a junkyard dog. For better or worse, markets follow every syllable that the Fed chair says, and can go haywire from the slightest inaptly worded statement. Does this sound like a job for Larry Summers? Larry frickin’ Summers?

What is Obama thinking?

(Nice to see someone else sharin the Luv for this reptile.. who just may get the gig, anyway, since it's all surreal.)
New We'll see how both turn out.
I still think Obama will appoint Yellen. Why? A couple of reasons.

1) Remember when 'everyone' was convinced that he was going to appoint Susan Rice as Secretary of State when Hillary left? How he had to because he defended her so strongly? I think Obama is defending Summers in the same spirit but that doesn't mean he has a lock on FedHead.

2) Remember when Obama was criticized for not having more appointments for women and minorities in his 2nd term? He said something like, "it's early and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...". He knows that passing over Yellen will look very bad.

I haven't kept up with the Manning trial in detail and don't have a strong feeling of what sort of sentence he will get. It seems as though the judge is trying to be fair. John Walker got life but may be released in 2015 (30 years). Jonathan Pollard got life but may be released in 2015 (28+ years). I would be very surprised if Manning got more than them and 10 years sounds sufficient to me at the moment.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Snowden: 8 key quotes - (Ashton) - (67)
         Meh. - (Another Scott) - (64)
             That was before torture and indefinite detention were policy -NT - (jake123) - (62)
                 not to mention unsanctioned assassination... -NT - (hnick) - (61)
                     sensory deprivation and solitary confinement.... -NT - (jake123) - (3)
                         Snowden's a civilian. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             So's Richard Reid. -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                                 Not domestic espionage or leak. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Hyperbole much you two? - (Another Scott) - (56)
                         even a live boy eh? -NT - (boxley)
                         I think it's really clear that Americans don't really - (jake123) - (29)
                             Yes, we have big blinders. - (Another Scott) - (28)
                                 ahem, note the "outside of the borders" - (boxley) - (23)
                                     They can't use Americans' data without a warrant. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (22)
                                         s/can't/can't in theory/ -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         wrong, ana analyst can choose to check the data -NT - (boxley) - (20)
                                             Re: wrong, ana analyst can choose to check the data - (Another Scott) - (19)
                                                 live boy, etc -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                                                     More words please. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                         sounds like you would excuse the live boy scenario - (boxley) - (16)
                                                             Back to when? - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                                 foreign, get them out of the domestic pool -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                     How? They say they do that now. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                         rm -rf /domestic_data_collection -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                                                                             You're just trolling now. -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                 nope, remove all domestic data from their servers - (boxley) - (10)
                                                                                     See, Scott, now you've got me agreeing - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         I know the arguments. I just don't see it. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                             I hope I'm being unwontedly gloomy - (rcareaga)
                                                                                     How? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                                         Technical question - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                             They seem to monitor all kinds of EM radiation. Maps. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                 Nice piece by Fallows.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                         Re: How? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                             Multiband phones are common. Verizon has them. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                 sawright, -NT - (boxley)
                                 He "ran away to [y]our adversaries"? Which darn adversaries? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     Shorthand. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         YOUR arguments, sure. But you're not the USA. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             Can't argue that. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         It's rare that I disagree with you - (rcareaga) - (24)
                             We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                                 Re: We'll see. - (rcareaga) - (17)
                                     Re: We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                         delusional is a bit harsh - (rcareaga) - (15)
                                             If it wasn't done in malice or to reward enemies... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                 stayed in his barracks like manning? that didnt turn out wel -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     The trial's not over; and military is different than civil. -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                         You are so full of sh*t - (crazy) - (4)
                                                             Soonergrunt's been watching the trial. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                 Perhaps a Re-Education Camp is in order, yes? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Practically a reprieve, eh? (+ a Larry Summers quip) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     We'll see how both turn out. - (Another Scott)
                                                 About that head-crawling thing.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                     Thanks, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         'Twixt the 3, plus other samples: concur on several - (Ashton)
                                                         hurt what cause - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             LRPD I posted a little while back fits here - (drook)
                                             Welcome to the Party, Tovarisch. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Wife believes it was a tragic accident. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 wonder if she has an old greek guy with an island lined up? -NT - (boxley)
                                 LA Coroner report. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Mnemosyne chimes in. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Plot thickens.. but will it gel? - (Ashton)
             Right. Under Obama, ... - (mmoffitt)
         Interesting/related Betty Cracker thread at Balloon-Juice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I like this one - (boxley)

10 PRINT "HELLO LRPD"
20 GOTO 10

234 ms