IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Multiband phones are common. Verizon has them.
What if Omar is on the border between the US and Canada?

The point I'm trying to make is, there are complications introduced by modern communications that make deciding who is and who is not a "US person" simply by looking at metadata difficult. Someone anywhere in the world can use VPN or lots of other things to make it appear that they're somewhere else. AFAIK, anyone can get a virtual machine on Amazon's servers if they're willing to pay the price (or if not, there are certainly ways around whatever rules are in place). Are they a US person? How can you tell if you're just looking at metadata?

The government and the NSA says they have rules and procedures in place to try to address those complications. We can choose to believe them or not, just like we can choose to believe Snowden and Greenwald or not. We can argue that more transparency and more restrictions are needed, or not. But I don't think we can say that the task that the NSA has is easy or that it is trivial to exclude information from US persons. That doesn't pass the simplest of tests, IMHO.

I think I'm done for now.

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New sawright,
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
     Snowden: 8 key quotes - (Ashton) - (67)
         Meh. - (Another Scott) - (64)
             That was before torture and indefinite detention were policy -NT - (jake123) - (62)
                 not to mention unsanctioned assassination... -NT - (hnick) - (61)
                     sensory deprivation and solitary confinement.... -NT - (jake123) - (3)
                         Snowden's a civilian. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             So's Richard Reid. -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                                 Not domestic espionage or leak. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Hyperbole much you two? - (Another Scott) - (56)
                         even a live boy eh? -NT - (boxley)
                         I think it's really clear that Americans don't really - (jake123) - (29)
                             Yes, we have big blinders. - (Another Scott) - (28)
                                 ahem, note the "outside of the borders" - (boxley) - (23)
                                     They can't use Americans' data without a warrant. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (22)
                                         s/can't/can't in theory/ -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         wrong, ana analyst can choose to check the data -NT - (boxley) - (20)
                                             Re: wrong, ana analyst can choose to check the data - (Another Scott) - (19)
                                                 live boy, etc -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                                                     More words please. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                         sounds like you would excuse the live boy scenario - (boxley) - (16)
                                                             Back to when? - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                                                 foreign, get them out of the domestic pool -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                                                                     How? They say they do that now. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                                                         rm -rf /domestic_data_collection -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                                                                             You're just trolling now. -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                 nope, remove all domestic data from their servers - (boxley) - (10)
                                                                                     See, Scott, now you've got me agreeing - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                                         I know the arguments. I just don't see it. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                             I hope I'm being unwontedly gloomy - (rcareaga)
                                                                                     How? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                                         Technical question - (drook) - (2)
                                                                                             They seem to monitor all kinds of EM radiation. Maps. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                 Nice piece by Fallows.. - (Ashton)
                                                                                         Re: How? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                             Multiband phones are common. Verizon has them. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                 sawright, -NT - (boxley)
                                 He "ran away to [y]our adversaries"? Which darn adversaries? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     Shorthand. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         YOUR arguments, sure. But you're not the USA. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             Can't argue that. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         It's rare that I disagree with you - (rcareaga) - (24)
                             We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                                 Re: We'll see. - (rcareaga) - (17)
                                     Re: We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                         delusional is a bit harsh - (rcareaga) - (15)
                                             If it wasn't done in malice or to reward enemies... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                 stayed in his barracks like manning? that didnt turn out wel -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     The trial's not over; and military is different than civil. -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                         You are so full of sh*t - (crazy) - (4)
                                                             Soonergrunt's been watching the trial. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                 Perhaps a Re-Education Camp is in order, yes? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Practically a reprieve, eh? (+ a Larry Summers quip) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     We'll see how both turn out. - (Another Scott)
                                                 About that head-crawling thing.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                     Thanks, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         'Twixt the 3, plus other samples: concur on several - (Ashton)
                                                         hurt what cause - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             LRPD I posted a little while back fits here - (drook)
                                             Welcome to the Party, Tovarisch. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Wife believes it was a tragic accident. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 wonder if she has an old greek guy with an island lined up? -NT - (boxley)
                                 LA Coroner report. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Mnemosyne chimes in. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Plot thickens.. but will it gel? - (Ashton)
             Right. Under Obama, ... - (mmoffitt)
         Interesting/related Betty Cracker thread at Balloon-Juice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I like this one - (boxley)

Good thing it smells like Kung Pao Tofu instead of like Greg's ears.
122 ms