IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET.
In 1985.

http://delong.typepa...-the-arpanet.html

The more attention you (and other people) draw to non-blow-em-up use of the arpanet the more likely some Proxmire type is to start inquiring into its operations.

Interesting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Buncha folks with easily-rustled jimmies
--

Drew
New Commenter Nils seems to have summed him up succinctly.
New Superbly-compact truthiness there, indeed.
New Wow. UUCP ! addressing. it's been a while
New Re: How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET.
I've enjoyed some of Pournelle's books (mainly the ones with Niven though now that I think about it), but thought he was a bit of an ass in his columns. So this makes me snigger:

I'd rather recycle his account for some bright 12-yr-old...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET.
Yeah, I've read most of his stuff, and the Niven collaborations were best. His columns were kind of funny though. He was the worlds longest standing newbie ever. He hacked forever on the same simple stupid problems and had his sorta hot computer doing meaningless bench tests forever. After a couple cycles, there wasn't any point to going back to his page except to see if a bubble burst somewhere and ???.
If he had a new book, I'd probably read it, but never a column again ever. ick...
New Heh.. I met Pournelle at a computer something-Con
after hearing his presentation to a packed room.

Gave him a sample of Tweek ™--a 'contact enhancer' which Worked:
(That is: stack a bunch of BNC M/F connectors in a line with/without this substance: and the resistance is Higher than with Tweeked surfaces. Talking milli-Ohms here.)
A product marketed by a physicist friend re audio.. but really: for any e- connector where you want max. conductivity.

Got a note back a bit later: he made Tweek his Product of the Month [in Byte], listing my addy for contact address. (It instantly fixed a flaky keyboard-key.
Sub-note: when IBM wanted me to ship ~ a dozen tiny bottles on 'Invoice', I replied that I did not deal with credit, for all obv. reasons: I Be 'Small' Finally.. they sent me a check!
Never heard back re. what Their lab 'thought' of this nostrum! Mentioned here, eons back.

Anyway, in retrospect [I had just then bought a copy of his Footfall, BTW] I guess he indeed suffered from the Heinlein Disease, certainly the Hawkish strain 'SDI'?!--INDEED!!
but he was pleasant enough when he pocketed my sample and we exchanged a few pleasantries.
(Can't recall fershure now the CP/M Mondo/Monstrous machine he had at home: 'Compu-[Pro?]; this was back in ~'84 IIRC.)

Haven't followed his trajectory since those days..

My My-- as regards ARPANET's raison d'etre: the ƒeare.. [of Congressional troglodytes] was In the Room, just like McCarthy daze only a trice earlier.
And: TODAY. Le plus sâ change.. ... endemic to this kultur, we see.
We *are* ... the bizarre Bazaar.
New That was you?!? I remember that column!
I followed "Chaos Manor" (semi-)"religiously" a quarter-century ago; I think I recognise his first encounter with "Tweek", and I certainly remember him mentioning it often afterwards.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Ayup.. {{blushes.. w/smirk.}}
There's a sub-plot I'll only limn re Tweek:
The (undiluted) substance was *snared by a Canadian, who charged something in $n-000/liter (litre?) and was as irascible as.. well: You.
But without the panache. Or the Sense (re people, especially.)

* He didn't own the Tweek ™ and IIRC some others' use of his Stuff ran into problems over That [fact.]
Have lost track of Dave F. and subsequent history of the substance..
I was amazed (as was skeptical-Dave) until I did the Test. hP 5-digit 4-wire Ohmmeters don't Lie.
Still unclear how the micro-chemical/alloy surface managed to cajole electrons into lock-step.. y'know?
(Sumiko/Berkeley CA still exists--once Dave's company, but dunno if they still carry Tweek, etc.)

Sure I have that issue of Byte somewhere--but it's ancient history now--kinda like 'democracy' in Murica.
New It's apparently called "Stabilant 22" now.
http://www.amazon.co...0ml/dp/B001E50GQS

Neat. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yeah.. now I recall that name, later-on. Good sleuthing.
New Yup, now that you mention that, I recall JerryP doing so to.
     How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Buncha folks with easily-rustled jimmies -NT - (drook) - (2)
             Commenter Nils seems to have summed him up succinctly. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Superbly-compact truthiness there, indeed. -NT - (Ashton)
         Wow. UUCP ! addressing. it's been a while -NT - (crazy)
         Re: How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET. - (malraux) - (1)
             Re: How Pournelle got kicked off ARPANET. - (hnick)
         Heh.. I met Pournelle at a computer something-Con - (Ashton) - (5)
             That was you?!? I remember that column! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Ayup.. {{blushes.. w/smirk.}} - (Ashton) - (3)
                     It's apparently called "Stabilant 22" now. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Yeah.. now I recall that name, later-on. Good sleuthing. -NT - (Ashton)
                         Yup, now that you mention that, I recall JerryP doing so to. -NT - (CRConrad)

Dr. Peter prescribes a nice warm cup of shut the hell up.
73 ms