I'm happy for you. I mean that. I honestly don't think that personal relationships have any place in the drafting of public policy. What I'm trying to say (and not well at all apparently) is that when the reasonableness of presumptions about human relationships change and there are policies that have been drafted regarding those relationships as a consequence of the reasonable assumptions about those relationships, then the policies must change.

If we wipe all "marital benefits" from the law, we might be a better society. We might draft legislation in their sted that supported families. I'm not saying same-sex married couples cannot contribute to society. I'm saying that their "marriage" cannot contribute in the same way that heterosexual marriage can contribute. And because existing "marriage laws" were drafted with the expectation that children would result, those laws are no longer sane. But that might be a good thing, if we're not afraid to change the laws that were based nominally on "marriage". Instead, we could draft laws on what society actually cares about: a continuing of society.