IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Would never have considered a possum stupid.
Maybe Aussie possums are smarter. They can be pests here, but it's not that hard to chase them away. The biggest problem is that they fight: with each other and with anything their size that challenges them. Cats tend to come off second best if the cat is stupid enough to take on a possum, but I've heard fruit bats take them on.

It's not illegal to catch and release them into the bush; it's probably illegal to kill them, though!

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New Australian possums are totally different.
Our possums came from South America when Panama became a land bridge. Marsupials were extinct in North America.

You can't chase our possums away because they are too stupid. Many years ago I caught one in my pigeon coop and gave it a sound thrashing to teach it not to be there. It was back in less than 15 minutes.

Since then I've fought any number of them with my Swiss army knife (it's 24 inches long, so it gives me a decent stand-off distance). They're ferocious, and they're tough - like a half inflated football with some chicken bones inside - and I tell you, they're too stupid even to realize that they're dead.
New Yep. Totally different.
Ours are afraid of people. And doing something like turning the hose on them means they probably won't come back for 24 hours. I see what you mean about "really dumb"!

Wade.
New This girl is about to need you
http://bunkstrutts.f...011/03/possum.jpg
New I always wondered why they were called "opossum".
Now I know: they really are a different beast. You just need to compare a picture and it's obvious. The Aussie possum has a much shorter snout than the US opoossum.

Wade.
New They also have a long naked tail like a rat . . .
. . and their fur isn't nice and plush either - but I don't recall ever hearing anyone call one an "opossum" - it's just "possum" except sometimes in print.
New Note also that the Australian and American "possums" . . .
. . differ at the order level, so they are related only very distantly.
New I've chased them with a pitchfork
Well, more like poked. They're impossible to herd, even with pain. Wide open garage door, angry dude with pitchfork, and the possum was more interested in hissing and hunkering behind the lawn mower than running for obvious freedom 2 feet away.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New My father-in-law beat one with a broomstick
He started by trying to shoo it away. It barely looked up from eating his garden. Then he tried poking. No joy. Eventually he was going after it like it was a piñata. It only left when he kept hitting the head and it couldn't get a bite of what it was after.
--

Drew
New They're strange animals.
They've been around 70M years or so, so they must be doing something right, but still..

http://en.wikipedia..../Virginia_opossum

The Virginia opossum is noted for reacting to threats by feigning death. This is the genesis of the term "playing possum", which means pretending to be dead or injured with intent to deceive. In the case of the opossum, the reaction seems to be involuntary, and to be triggered by extreme fear. It should not be taken as an indication of docility, for under serious threat, an opossum will respond ferociously, hissing, screeching, and showing its teeth. But with enough stimulation, the opossum will enter a near coma, which can last up to four hours. It lies on its side, mouth and eyes open, tongue hanging out, emitting a green fluid from its anus whose putrid odor repels predators. Besides discouraging animals that eat live prey, playing possum also convinces some large animals that the opossum is no threat to their young.

<insert joke here>

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, I sure haven't ever seen one do that.
New Me neither.
Here's one that's close - https://www.youtube....tch?v=MZ8vdNtf4y4 (2:19) No stink bombs though.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Dumb as a soapdish
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New But not as foamy ... you hope
--

Drew
New Surprise ending. :-)
     Dang! this keeps happening. - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
         Some weird looking beasts there. - (Another Scott) - (28)
             We have cats and raccoons under our deck. - (malraux) - (27)
                 We had some opossums a few years ago. - (Another Scott) - (26)
                     "It is illegal to be a possum in the state of California" - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
                         Yeah, it's understandable, but still disconcerting. - (Another Scott)
                         Would never have considered a possum stupid. - (static) - (15)
                             Australian possums are totally different. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                 Yep. Totally different. - (static)
                                 This girl is about to need you - (crazy) - (3)
                                     I always wondered why they were called "opossum". - (static) - (2)
                                         They also have a long naked tail like a rat . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         Note also that the Australian and American "possums" . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 I've chased them with a pitchfork - (malraux) - (1)
                                     My father-in-law beat one with a broomstick - (drook)
                             They're strange animals. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                 Well, I sure haven't ever seen one do that. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                     Me neither. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                         Wheeeee - (crazy) - (3)
                                             Dumb as a soapdish -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                                 But not as foamy ... you hope -NT - (drook)
                                             Surprise ending. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Well, you could always eat them! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             Those things are so ugly NOTHING wants to eat them. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 taste like squirrel -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     If I ever make Brunswick stew . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Try mothballs - (hnick) - (3)
                         :-) Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Just throw them under the deck? - (malraux) - (1)
                             That's what we did. - (hnick)
         No B52s reference? I'm disappointed -NT - (drook)
         Typo - (crazy)

One may hardly be found in a handbag in the railway station unless one has been lost in a handbag in the railway station.
127 ms