IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New $16.60 a bottle for a screw cap?!?! Yikes! :-)
New After so much...
Its hard to put a corkscrew in the bottle stopper.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Screw caps are better than cork; even the new plastic "cork"
Just yesterday I had to carry a bottle of Tarapaca CSS ( http://www.alko.fi/en/products/005415/ ) back to the store to exchange for a new one, because the first one was corked. I've _n_e_v_e_r_ had that happen with a screw-cap bottle. So this $13.25 wine wasn't all that much helped by it's natural cork... That old-fashionable snobbery has been disproven, IMO.

--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New It is true that screw caps are far more reliable . . .
. . than the old corks, and have similar "breathing" properties.

That said, I still prefer the new composite corks on purely aesthetic grounds. Opening a screw cap just doesn't provide the same satisfaction.
New Opening, true.
Closing, less so.
New I haven't a problem there, provided . . .
. . it's done fairly soon - and what was the top goes in first (it's usually a bit smaller due to the neck shape).
New Screw caps are good. Boxes are better.
I was just funning with ya.

The wine I get most often is some Charles Shaw stuff from Trader Joe's. It's around $3.29 a bottle here and has real corks.

http://www.wellesley...ng-or-are-we.html

It's a waste, really. I think I read a decade or two ago that the cork trees were endangered due to over-harvesting, but I guess that somehow that isn't an issue now if real cork can be used in such cheap wine (, and flooring, and who knows what else).

J prefers the 5-liter box wines. They can be cheap, and the environmental impact is potentially less. No corks there, either. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Cork trees endangered? Not likely.
Cork is the outer bark of a variety of oak tree. It is stripped off without damage to the tree. There can be shortages in supply though.

There is a shortage of the quality of bark that you can drill full size corks out of in the traditional way. Most cork products are made from ground up bark.

The corks in the Crane Lake wine which is my daily guzzle have 1/8 inch layer of cut cork at each end. These disks are bonded to the body which is made of bonded ground cork. These are very good corks with no seepage problems at all, and are much nicer than foam plastic corks.
New Interesting. WWF says lack of use in wine endangers them...
From 2006: http://www.ens-newsw...2006-05-15-01.asp

"The cork oak forests could face an economic and environmental crisis unless we take action to secure their future now," said Rebecca May, a forests campaigner at with WWF-UK. "It is vital that the wine and cork industries maintain the market for cork stoppers and in turn, help ensure the survival of the cork oak forests."

Cheers,
Scott.
New Just like mahogany
People tried to "protect" mahogany and with no buyers you could no longer sell it. But nothing stopped you from burning it all down and grazing cattle that you could sell to McDonalds.
--

Drew
New Do-gooder projects very often produce bad results.
Do-gooders are generally highly committed single issue activists who ignore all the surrounding factors and even deny any that counter their pet project.

I recently read an article (Natural History or Smithsonian) by a person who actually participated in a project to save the savanna in Africa. It was supposedly degraded by elephants, so more than 40,000 elephants were shot. The immediate effect was accelerated degradation of the savanna.

Many other do-gooder projects have had similar results.
New His name's Allan Savory
that's something he did many years ago. He gave a TED talk about it: Re: http://www.ted.com/t...imate_change.html
New Thanx
Sheesh - had to edit a single word - it's late - obviously past my bed time - even though it's an hour earlier than usual.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 12, 2013, 01:23:16 AM EDT
New Very interesting, Jake. Thanks!
Alex
New Yeah, I knew you were.
Decided to use it as a take-off point for a serious rant -- nah, just a public service message, really -- anyway.

Anki and I haven't really got into boxes yet; dunno why, I don't doubt that they're even smarter.

On the 3.29 bottle of wine: Envy, envy! Never seen prices like that, except on vacation in the south of France last year.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     I really wonder what's going on behind the scenes on Plan B. - (Another Scott) - (27)
         perhaps because it is illegal to have consensual sex - (boxley) - (2)
             Re: perhaps because it is illegal to have consensual sex - (lincoln) - (1)
                 BS - (crazy)
         Personally, I love Plan B. - (CRConrad) - (16)
             $16.60 a bottle for a screw cap?!?! Yikes! :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (14)
                 After so much... - (folkert)
                 Screw caps are better than cork; even the new plastic "cork" - (CRConrad) - (12)
                     It is true that screw caps are far more reliable . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Opening, true. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             I haven't a problem there, provided . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Screw caps are good. Boxes are better. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         Cork trees endangered? Not likely. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             Interesting. WWF says lack of use in wine endangers them... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 Just like mahogany - (drook) - (4)
                                     Do-gooder projects very often produce bad results. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         His name's Allan Savory - (jake123) - (2)
                                             Thanx - (Andrew Grygus)
                                             Very interesting, Jake. Thanks! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Yeah, I knew you were. - (CRConrad)
             Oh wow... - (folkert)
         Amanda Marcotte at Women in Secularism - 2 - (Another Scott) - (2)
             I don't know - (drook) - (1)
                 wouldnt need a girlfriend either -NT - (boxley)
         Available to women of all ages. Finally. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             The churches are slowly losing their control . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Our future: cognitive dissonance. - (Ashton)
             Shiny! Over there! - (hnick)

I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do isn't very nice.
85 ms