IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New whats wrong with first cousins? looks around nervously
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New I figured someone would question that...
It's been my understanding that marriages involving first cousins were generally prohibited in the US. But I seem to have been misinformed - http://en.wikipedia....age#United_States

United States

Cousin marriage was legal in all States before the Civil War. However, according to Kansas anthropology professor Martin Ottenheimer, after the Civil War the main purpose of marriage prohibitions was increasingly seen less as maintaining the social order and upholding religious morality and more as safeguarding the creation of fit offspring. Indeed, writers such as Noah Webster and ministers like Philip Milledoler and Joshua McIlvaine helped lay the groundwork for such viewpoints well before 1860. This led to a gradual shift in concern from affinal unions, like those between a man and his deceased wife's sister, to consanguineous unions. By the 1870s, Lewis Henry Morgan was writing about "the advantages of marriages between unrelated persons" and the necessity of avoiding "the evils of consanguine marriage," avoidance of which would "increase the vigor of the stock." To Morgan, cousin marriage, and more specifically parallel-cousin marriage, was a remnant of a more primitive stage of human social organization.[19] Morgan himself had married his maternal uncle's daughter in 1851.[20]

In 1846 the Governor of Massachusetts appointed a commission to study "idiots" in the state, and this implicated cousin marriage as responsible for idiocy. Within the next two decades numerous reports, e.g. one from the Kentucky Deaf and Dumb Asylum, appeared with similar conclusions: that cousin marriage sometimes resulted in deafness, blindness, and idiocy. Perhaps most important was the report of physician S.M. Bemiss for the American Medical Association, which concluded "that multiplication of the same blood by in-and-in marrying does incontestably lead in the aggregate to the physical and mental depravation of the offspring." Despite being contradicted by other studies like those of George Darwin and Alan Huth in England and Robert Newman in New York, the report's conclusions were widely accepted.[21]

These developments led to thirteen states and territories passing cousin marriage prohibitions by the 1880s. Though contemporaneous, the eugenics movement did not play much of a direct role in the bans, and indeed George Louis Arner in 1908 considered the ban a clumsy and ineffective method of eugenics, which he thought would eventually be replaced by more refined techniques. Ottenheimer considers both the bans and eugenics to be "one of several reactions to the fear that American society might degenerate."[22] In any case, by the period up until the mid-1920s the number of bans had more than doubled.[7] Since that time, the only three states to add this prohibition have been Kentucky in 1943, Maine in 1985, and Texas in 2005. The NCCUSL unanimously recommended in 1970 that all such laws should be repealed, but no state has dropped its prohibition since the mid-1920s.[1][9][23]

While there may (or may not) be increased risk of genetic defects with children of cousins, we don't (any more) prohibit people with severe genetic diseases from marrying. And, I argued that marriage isn't only about procreation, so adults should be able to make their own decisions about that.

I've got no problem with doing away with that prohibition. I shouldn't have included it. Thanks for the ping.

Cheers,
Scott.
     ScotusBlog: USSC to punt on Prop 8 case. - (Another Scott) - (61)
         no standing sounds like the correct legal ruling -NT - (boxley)
         What century? - (mmoffitt) - (35)
             Ok, it was a slight exaggeration. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 whats wrong with first cousins? looks around nervously -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     I figured someone would question that... - (Another Scott)
                 Well, sometimes we do - (mhuber) - (2)
                     I was best man in a Catholic marriage. - (Another Scott)
                     I forgot to make my point - (mhuber)
             Fundamental changes in the definition of marriage are good - (drook) - (27)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 + 11teen; almost forgot about TT! Thanx for reminder.. -NT - (Ashton)
                 You're entitled to that view. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                     Its truly about "spousal" benefits. - (folkert) - (23)
                         What rights does California deny same-sex couples? - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                             Separate But Equal is not equal justice under law. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                 Thank you. I was going to trot that out. - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Just at a semantic level - (drook) - (1)
                                         Excellent point! -NT - (folkert)
                                 Red Herring. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                                     Uhh ... no - (drook) - (6)
                                         Actually, I do agree with your second sentence. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             Yes, but ... - (drook) - (3)
                                                 It's really not that difficult. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                     Theory vs. practice - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Lawyers - and I - would like that. - (mmoffitt)
                                             Cool, I agree with you - (crazy)
                                     Misinformed - (boxley) - (7)
                                         There are corner cases where DNA is problematic. - (Another Scott)
                                         If procreation isn't involved, why blood tests? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                             I'm not your lawyer - (crazy) - (4)
                                                 A typically non-responsive response. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                     kiss kiss - (crazy)
                                                     And YOU responded it is not an issue in above post - (crazy) - (1)
                                                         Heh. 2 more posts and still no answer to the question. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     WTF???? Eugenics boards next? - (crazy) - (1)
                                         Haven't you heard? - (mmoffitt)
             maybe not to the euros normal in other cultures -NT - (boxley)
         Mann at AngryBear says Goldstein at ScotusBlog is wrong. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             interesting read - (boxley)
         Tom Levenson's take at Balloon-Juice. - (Another Scott) - (21)
             I hope that wasn't directed at me. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 so she has to pay 350k because she was banging another chick - (boxley) - (3)
                     I see a "wrong" compounded. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         nope, you are not a racist, I get that - (boxley) - (1)
                             s/stealing from rich/recovering stolen from/ -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Unfortunate fact of our legal system - (drook) - (10)
                     Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     You're almost too easy. Your link is sufficient. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                         Your "tradition" goes back ... three generations? - (drook) - (7)
                             Ya lost me. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                 Repeat after me: syphilis - (drook) - (5)
                                     Marriage is because syphillis? kewl :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                     Okay. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         Another slice off the shifting platform - (crazy)
                                         Marriage leads to children != marriage is *for* children -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             Yup - (crazy)
                 It was part of the discussion. - (Another Scott)
                 I stopped reading at this point - (crazy) - (2)
                     Zing. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Yup, thanks where he corrects you. AGAIN. - (crazy)
             As to Why Marry? and ... it's All about the cheeldrun? - (Ashton)

The absence of evidence is the most damning evidence of all.
127 ms