1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I thought we're different because of cold versus warm beer
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New Naw.
That's "good" versus "bad" beer, and you guys don't got the good stuff. Sorry.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New When did you last drink American beer?
In America.

Out of a tap.

In a Brew pub.

Sheesh. There are plenty of other things wrong with the US. Beer is (thankfully) not one of them anymore.

Try a Sam Adams Porter. Anchor Steam Pilsner. State Street Ale. or any of the thousands of other microbrews available in the states.

House 'o' beer in Chicago has some ungodly number or beers on tap (300? 500?) most of which are American. Just because most of the ads are by the big boys with the tasteless beer, doesn't mean that good beer doesn't exist.
Don't blame me. I voted with the majority.
New the three you mentioned taste like Whizz
In chicago the only drinkable bottled beer was something with geese on the label. Great stuff. Most microbrews are pretentious crap that figger an effluence of hops and burning the barley will kill the taste. There are a few good ones but none that match up with exhibition ale, or a true whitbreads or a guinness draft in Ireland, not the hog piss they sell here.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New Goose Island
Top notch brew. Made in America. And not alone in quality. As for the microbrews, you must have been unlucky. My experience runs about 70% good to 30% pisswater.
New Seattle gots microbrews.
[link|http://www.harleymiami.com/hoglounge/TroubleshootingBeer/TroubleshootingBeer.htm| Troubleshooting]

[link|http://www.spaceports.com/~homebrew/trblsht.htm|Things that go wrong with beer]
New So does Chicago's suburbs
Walton Payton used to be the owner of the brewpub/restaurant in downtown Aurora, and there used to be a brewpub/restaurant in downtown Naperville just a block from the Metra station. Been to both several times, and was always pleased with both the food and beer.

Don't know if both are still in existence. Hope to get a job soon back in Chicago so I can return to a truly great city.
lincoln
New Re: So does Chicago's suburbs
Walter Payton's Roundhouse is still named the same, and last I heard, is still alive and well in downtown Aurora.

I'm not familiar with the brepub you speak of in downtown Naperville, however. Though a couple of Rock Bottom breweries have crept up here and there.

There's also one in downtown Downer's Grove called something like "Founder's." Their raspberry wheat is good stuff.
-YendorMike

Real programmers use "vi a.out".
New Walter's (like the man himself) are all gone :-(
All of Walter's places that I know of( downtown, & Rolling Meadows) are all gone, having been taken over by some "other " establishment. (I think the one in RM is now a cajun place).

Yendor claims tha the Aurora place is still there...he live in that neighborhood so he would know. I heard that the Aurora place had gone the way of the other two...but what do I know....
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
Expand Edited by jb4 May 3, 2002, 02:22:12 AM EDT
New Ack!
I hadn't heard that. It was a great place, too. That sucks.
-YendorMike

Real programmers use "vi a.out".
New Ever go to Berghoff's?
Their story is that they get their beer custom made from a Wisconsin brewery. I enjoyed many a lunch at the stand up bar, having a cold one (or three) with a roast beef or thuringer sandwich.
lincoln
New Excellent lunch counter
White bratwurst and Berghoff's dark beer make a fine combination. A top notch restaurant upstairs. They also sponser a Oktoberfest that is suprisingly good for the size limitaton.

Met Bob Dole there the year he kicked off his pres campaign in Chicago. Odd experience. Very serious men in dark glasses came in and took up strategic positions around the joint. A few minutes later Dole comes in and shakes hands around the place. The man was frail looking and shorter than he seems on the tube. Still didn't vote for him.
New They still make tons of money
selling that stuff to other countries and the States as well. Just ask our local Beer Barons in St. Louis. Herr Busch is rich, rich rich, selling that stuff a lot. :)

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     america and britain separated by a common language - (boxley) - (16)
         Someone who...... - (Mike) - (2)
             Bit more info - (Mike)
             Fly Tipper = Litter Bug - (orion)
         I thought we're different because of cold versus warm beer -NT - (lincoln) - (12)
             Naw. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                 When did you last drink American beer? - (Silverlock) - (9)
                     the three you mentioned taste like Whizz - (boxley) - (8)
                         Goose Island - (Silverlock) - (7)
                             Seattle gots microbrews. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                 So does Chicago's suburbs - (lincoln) - (3)
                                     Re: So does Chicago's suburbs - (Yendor)
                                     Walter's (like the man himself) are all gone :-( - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Ack! - (Yendor)
                             Ever go to Berghoff's? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Excellent lunch counter - (Silverlock)
                 They still make tons of money - (orion)

Black candle lit.
112 ms