IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Myths are often much more powerful than reality."
It goes beyond that. Way beyond.

We all live in the subjective. All of us, even the reality based, even people who follow science and make a real effort to be informed. I like to think I am one of those people.

The best we can do is to make our subjective world work and harmonize with whatever might be out there in the objective. But there is no objective evidence to suggest that the objective universe even exists, only some fairly convincing subjective experiences.

Myths are all we've got, really. Reality, if any, is not for the likes of us sensory beings.

That being said...

Science gives us an exquisite and detailed mythology that works really, really well and harmonizes in an ever more excellent way with most if not all data inputs.

Fox News gives us a mythology lacks emotional depth and fails catastrophically to harmonize with a great many data inputs.
---------------------------------------
In the dessert, you can't remember your name
New Nicely summarized..
"The Power of Myth" -- the conversation 'twixt Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, eons ago--kinda DOES say it all.

As in the concluding hour, when Campbell interjects ... People die for metaphors every day.
As good an epitaph as any, for a failed experiment in Consciousness VS Unconsciousness on an unremarkable little planet which once looked pristine white/blue--seen that first time, from its moon.

Now the bloodstains of serial convenient-little-wars do not yet seem visible from space, but the children who microwave a kitten, 'for Fun', induce docile dogs to kill each other, 'for Fun'..
These-all demonstrate how that Freedom-thing has deteriorated into violent, despicable mind-sets.

Oh. Well.

.hr

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
New Yeahbut... See Benjamin Hale's essay in the NY Times.
Yes, none of us really know reality and we all construct models based on various levels of myths. But it's the kinds of myths and how they're constructed and tested that is where the main difference lies, I think.

See Benjamin Hale's essay in the NY Times for a much better example of what I was trying to get at.

http://iwt.mikevital....iwt?postid=64858

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
     0.82% - (Another Scott) - (13)
         I like to consider myself reasonably intelligent. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
             I think I understand part of it... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 So, it's a consequence of accepting mythology? - (mmoffitt)
             "Myths are often much more powerful than reality." - (mhuber) - (2)
                 Nicely summarized.. - (Ashton)
                 Yeahbut... See Benjamin Hale's essay in the NY Times. - (Another Scott)
             I;m surprised. - (folkert)
             My favorite political slogan is still . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 I've been hoping to get this tagline out for you folks - (jake123) - (4)
                     s/hear/visualize/ -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                         Re: s/hear/see/ - (jake123)
                     What's your problem with trickle upon economics? :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Sentient LRPD: "don't piss in the pond" -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Everything is chromed in the future!
78 ms