IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bzzzt
it was initially a "Widowers fund" created so the widows wouldn't starve when their husbands died

The initial law did not include survivor benefits. They were added 4 yrs later.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/hfaq.html

It was a retirement program for workers.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Bzzzt back.
Keep in mind, however, that the Social Security Act itself was much broader than just the program which today we commonly describe as "Social Security." The original 1935 law contained the first national unemployment compensation program, aid to the states for various health and welfare programs, and the Aid to Dependent Children program

You're correct thought. It didn't pay survivor benefits until 4 years after it started.
     lets see who is for helping the poor and who wants to - (boxley) - (43)
         $2k in assetts =/= $2k in the bank. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Scale - (drook) - (1)
             nope in a previous post I pointed out that by removing - (boxley)
         seems like we have faux liberals here -NT - (boxley) - (39)
             It seems some of those trolling are losing their MoJo. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (38)
                 Nope, it appears that you support class envy but not change - (boxley) - (37)
                     Taxes pay for the safety net, that's what it's for - (drook) - (36)
                         ditto -NT - (lincoln)
                         so steal from the rich and the poor to enjoy yer lifestyle - (boxley) - (33)
                             OK - (drook) - (32)
                                 Box only listens in Republican - (lincoln)
                                 tax is not the right word - (boxley) - (30)
                                     Let's spitball some numbers - (drook) - (26)
                                         your numbers dont add up - (boxley)
                                         now I think you missed what I was saying - (boxley) - (24)
                                             Chicken feed - (drook) - (23)
                                                 so again, you want the rich to subsidize the bourgeois - (boxley) - (22)
                                                     s/ at the expense of / in addition to / ____ hope that helps -NT - (drook) - (21)
                                                         not really, the safety net was not built for the middleclass - (boxley) - (20)
                                                             No - (drook) - (19)
                                                                 So you should be able to have someone richer than you pay - (boxley) - (18)
                                                                     Do you want to talk macro or micro? - (drook) - (17)
                                                                         hmm, thats not how this thread started - (boxley) - (16)
                                                                             No it won't. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                 Yup, scale -NT - (drook)
                                                                                 so its okay to get freebies from the government - (boxley) - (7)
                                                                                     SS and Medicare aren't freebies. Open your ears. -NT - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                                                         you open yours - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                                             What's your complaint? What problem are you solving? - (drook)
                                                                                             ... - (Another Scott)
                                                                                             That's only 1/2 the equasion.... - (S1mon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                                                 Delaying Medicare won't save money. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                     I like Krugman - (S1mon_Jester)
                                                                             Re: stealing. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                                 Re: stealing. - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                     No, I'm a Marxist. Ask nearly anybody on this board. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                 Bzzzt - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                     Bzzzt back. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                 money he wasnt paying taxes on otherwise the gummint gets it -NT - (boxley)
                                     ?????? - (lincoln) - (2)
                                         I noticed your second sentence - (boxley) - (1)
                                             I'm seriously... - (folkert)
                         Yup. - (Another Scott)

OK, my response to that is pending a Google search.
110 ms