IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It really depends on how you read that, doesn't it?
One could easily read the quote as saying: "we're simply being affectionate like any normal couple" - that is, they're not claiming to be normal, they're simply showing affection like any normal couple.

Their full statement - http://www.msopr.com...irlines-incident/ - doesn't sound like they're claiming to be "normal" either:

We have always promoted tolerance, openness and equality both as a band and as individuals. We both come from loving homes where our parents not only love and accept us, but are also proud of who we are. We believe everyone has the right to live openly in this society as equals. In no way were our actions on Southwest Airlines excessive, inappropriate or vulgar. We want to make it clear we were not making out or creating any kind of spectacle of ourselves, it was one, modest kiss. We are responsible adult women who walk through the world with dignity. We were simply being affectionate like any normal couple. We were on the airplane less than 5 minutes when all was said and done. We take full responsibility for getting verbally upset with the flight attendant after being told it was a “family airline.” We were never told the reason the flight attendant approached us, we were only scolded that we “needed to be aware that Southwest Airlines was a family oriented airline.” No matter how quietly homophobia is whispered, it doesn’t make it any less loud. You can’t whisper hate. We ask this airline to teach their employees to not discriminate against any couple, ever, regardless of their own beliefs. We want to live in a society where if your loved one leans over to give you an innocent kiss on an airplane it’s not labeled as “excessive or not family oriented” by a corporation and its employees. We find it very disturbing that the same airline who lauds itself as being LGBT friendly has twisted an upsetting incident that happened into our behavior being “too excessive.” The above is not an apology and we are in the process of filing a formal complaint with the airline. We hope that when all is said and done a greater tolerance without prejudice will evolve.

Emphasis added.

As someone upthread said, women commonly kiss. Even in the USA. I've seen the man in a family kiss each family member, male and female, on the lips, as they were leaving an airport gate. Was he not "normal"? Should he and the family be accused to being "deviant"?

You're taking a word out of context and using inflammatory words in your elaboration. I could easily accuse you of being bigoted about it, too.

http://www.merriam-w...ictionary/bigoted

But I won't do that. ;-)

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's much more fun to use technically accurate, loaded words
It would have been better if she'd said, "we're simply being affectionate like any couple." Although, I concur, it does depend on how you read that. (Aside: I think your interpretation is not the one intended - but still.)

As far as family members kissing, No, that would not be deviant behavior since normally family members kiss. Same would hold true in other cultures where it is quite common for same sex kissing. It is normal in those cultures.
New Project much?
--

Drew
     "Like any other normal couple"? - (mmoffitt) - (68)
         Yeah, why not? -NT - (drook) - (53)
             Normal Couple? - (mmoffitt) - (52)
                 Re: Normal Couple? - (pwhysall) - (49)
                     "Normal" couple != "Normal couple". - (mmoffitt) - (48)
                         Gay is perfectly natural. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                             Being Black or White is not behavior. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                                 Two things - (drook) - (13)
                                     That's an argument I'm not making. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         So, mmoffitt... - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                             Assuming your facts. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 and yet, there seems something else at work here - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                     There may be something else, I'll grant. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                         Nah. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                             In general, I do find public displays inappropriate. - (mmoffitt)
                                         you have to get to 50% to be normal. - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Not what I said. And you know it. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 No, that's *exactly* what you said -NT - (drook)
                                             You deviate you -NT - (crazy)
                                     It used to be - (scoenye) - (1)
                                         Yup, my mother went to Catholic school - (drook)
                                 No, it's an insult when claimed something isn't normal - (crazy) - (2)
                                     Re: No, it's an insult when claimed something isn't normal - (beepster) - (1)
                                         Time and demographics - (crazy)
                                 So... - (folkert)
                                 re: It's an abuse of the word normal - (altmann) - (1)
                                     :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         gasp - (beepster)
                         Are American Indians "deviant"? - (drook) - (22)
                             It's called English. And I know how to use it. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                 Yup. Inflammatorily - (crazy) - (20)
                                     Um, no. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                         Re: Um, no. - (beepster) - (1)
                                             Forgive for being "textbook correct". :0) - (mmoffitt)
                                         Yes, there is a dispute - (drook) - (10)
                                             So, your conjecture is... - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 Enjoy - (crazy)
                                                 DING! - (drook) - (7)
                                                     Consequence of the argument you made. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                         Here, a quiz for you - (crazy)
                                                         Still framing it as "behavior" ... still wrong -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                             The existence of the species tells me I'm right. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 Go read my book quote - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Go read my book quote - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                         Easy googleable targets get knocked down -NT - (crazy)
                                     Re: Yup. Inflammatorily - (beepster) - (5)
                                         B.S. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             see my other post. -NT - (beepster)
                                             "accepted" - (drook) - (2)
                                                 The species. HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     You asked it? -NT - (drook)
                         You're applying statistical definitions... - (static)
                         yes normal - (boxley)
                 Human sexuality is powerful and erratic. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     There's a reason they call it "vanilla". - (static)
         It really depends on how you read that, doesn't it? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             It's much more fun to use technically accurate, loaded words - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Project much? -NT - (drook)
         Took a day, but I figured out the problem - (drook) - (10)
             no boggle zone? cmon, mikey can boggle and we can educate - (boxley) - (1)
                 Hmmmmm. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             I thought it was just a boring problem of definition. -NT - (static)
             wrong on one count - (beepster) - (2)
                 Which SW has already admitted to being wrong about - (crazy) - (1)
                     right, wrong dont matter - (beepster)
             I took a few days, too. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                 This is why scientists can't do politics - (drook) - (2)
                     Right - that's the real problem. - (mmoffitt)
                     Re: This is why scientists can't do politics - (pwhysall)

When you're holding the Moon for ransom, you value stability in an application.
66 ms