And we see them on both sides of the puddle.

I know $$ == Justice (or at least an attempt) over here. It's a matter of how much you can afford for a decent lawyer. In their case, it was obvious, that prosecutor has WAY too much power.

http://www.google.co...nster+of+florence

In the case of his previous major fuckup, he ignored evidence, blamed an imaginary evil anti-Christian cult, and when a couple of reporters (one local, one US) pointed out the many discrepancies, he ACCUSED them of being the killers!!!!!!

They MUST be part of the cult because they didn't agree with him. The inquisition is still VERY active.

The US one had to leave the country in 1 day. 1 f'ing day, or he KNEW he'd be in an Italian jail for a very long time. The local one was imprisoned for a couple of months, and was LUCKY to get out.

I also know that we have a basis in our laws that gives the defendant a hell of a lot of protections, IF ONLY THEY KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT AND HAVE A LAWYER.

They don't. They don't even have the option most of the time.

In the end Knox WAS convicted of saying bad things about someone else, ie: she agreed with the investigator that someone specific could have been the killer. After days of broken sleep interviews.

When that guy had an alibi, they slammed her with more charges, which ended up with a 3 year sentence, and then they let her go with "time served".

This means anyone in the country who opens up their mouth to the police and gives information about another person stands a possibility of going to jail. For years.

Who the hell would talk to the police in that situation?

I don't claim ours is the BEST POSSIBLE, but I'm pretty sure it's up there as compared to the vast majority of alternatives out there.

And I'm also pretty sure that any laws based on any religion are the starting point for that level of judicial fuck-up.