IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nothing more entertaining than a recovering Catholic
I didn't post this. I don't claim enough knowledge to argue the point.

As some of you know, M was raised catholic. SERIOUSLY catholic. Inner city poor Irish Catholic (IC). Father was a cop Irish catholic.

She was arguing with nuns and priests when she was in 3rd grade, and never lost an argument. She knew when to shut-up. That was after the nun or priest got to the limit, right before they started beating her. Since she knew the bible so well, it was EASY to trip them up.

That was because she both read and observed, and hung out at the other churches. They offered better music and/or food, and all of them were JC based, so they were deemed safe by her over worked parents.

Over the years the Catholic side got more and more predominant, but the cognitive dissonance became too much.

Of course she felt it was her duty to impart JC, and her culture was IC, so OUR kids spent the vast majority of their early years as TRUE believers.

She's in a college history class. Her professor was programmed early on. But he started reading books OTHER than the bible AFTER he grew up. So he's a hell of a reference.

She got a report to do on a notable figure in history. 1st pope seems like a decent choice.

And now she posts this on FB, which of course is read by her family:
====================================================================
Did you know.....Emperor Constantine completely changed Jesus's message in 300 AD. He took women out of the church and delegated them to be slaves to men. Before him women were equal to men. He also changed the bible to eliminate anything that he didn't like. He created the catholic religion to control the people! Before him there was no POPE! Men created religion to oppress people. Before you tell me what you believe in do some research Become knowledgeable about the origins of the faith you believe in.
====================================================================

Ok (for you who shall not be named):

We had the discussion about our granddaughter.

Of COURSE she is having her baptized, sent to Sunday school, sent to a Catholic school for "education", etc, etc, etc. What other choice is there? Philly schools suck so bad.

Even though OUR daughter no longer believes. If M has her way, the entire cycle will be repeated.

Me: No fucking way. 1st time I hear about hell I'm telling her that you people are all lying to her.

Her: Oh, don't worry.

Me: And at that point, she'll understand it's all bullshit, you do realize that, and she will never trust any of you. And really, I'll spend YEARS, one on one, making sure she understands the difference between reality and PROVABLE fantasy.

This cycle will NOT repeat itself.

New REM
I resumed taking my kids to Church because of REM's song.

It worked. They have had the experience of losing their religion.
---------------------------------------
Badass! (and delicious)
New I have no idea what the song is saying
http://www.azlyrics....ngmyreligion.html

Feel free to explain it to me.
New Not a clue, really
But I'm pretty smart and arrogant enough to think if I can't find a meaning it either isn't there or is so poorly expressed that it might as well not be there.

But the line "losing my religion" reminded me what a good experience it was, and I didn't want my kids to miss out. So yeah, I raised them Catholic so they'd grow up to be atheists. Actually, agnostics with a keen enough grasp of epistemology to understand that the very question of whether God exists or not is silly. Mostly still on the atheism, one is currently backsliding into Methodism (and pro-wrestling fandom) due to hormones, one may or may not have been in the process of converting to JW due to severe brain damage.
---------------------------------------
Badass! (and delicious)
New Um, ok
I had the talk with the boy about those days. It took him 1 session. Actually, he already knew, and was just REALLY pissed at me for wasting his time.

Of course our religion didn't include heaven or hell, and most of the BS is based on historical miracles. So it does not require any present day belief in ANYTHING you can't see. Which quickly allows you to analyze the past based on what we KNOW.
     Nothing more entertaining than a recovering Catholic - (crazy) - (4)
         REM - (mhuber) - (3)
             I have no idea what the song is saying - (crazy) - (2)
                 Not a clue, really - (mhuber) - (1)
                     Um, ok - (crazy)

I don't need to do a bunch of coke to be happy.
56 ms