IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not sure what you mean by that
Those bulbs were created to retrofit factory floor HPS lighting so they have a very specific ballast that runs them. But the ballast is common and cheap. They are intended for a variety of harsh environments. I have a portable one, not light, but portable.

It takes about 5 minutes to warm up fully, and then the light of a single 250 watt bulb will easily outshine 1000 watts of incandescent, and do it just like the sun. Without getting that hot, at least as compared to any other HID bulb.

If possible, visit a store with a couple burning and take a few pictures. The difference will be obvious. Especially for any pictures that have any depth, since the light will shine far deeper than any florescent.
New Depth is usually not an issue
Most of my shots are taken within two feet of the subject. "Hero" shots are typically less than a foot. The lights are usually about three feet for the overhead and a foot or less for the backlight, which I sometimes bounce for front fill.
--

Drew
New A 5 minute wait for a bulb to stabilize?
Sorry, that just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

Also, literature on those bulbs says the color temperature varies noticeably with ambient temperature, warm up time and from bulb to bulb. Great for factory floor lighting I'm sure, but not quite right for my application.
     Finally got some real lighting for my photos. - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
         The problem now - (drook) - (15)
             Let's see - (jake123) - (4)
                 Have you been to his site lately? - (drook) - (3)
                     shitload would be accurate -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         Metric or Imperial? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             Re: Metric or Imperial? - (beepster)
             Well, that happens every time I get a new camera . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                 If the camera doesn't have good white balance settings ... - (drook) - (2)
                     White ballance hasn't been a problem. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Is there such a thing as a variable-°K light source? - (Ashton)
                 Have you tried any other lighting types? - (crazy) - (5)
                     Those seem a bit erratic . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         Yeah, you learn to just trust the CFLs - (drook)
                         Not sure what you mean by that - (crazy) - (2)
                             Depth is usually not an issue - (drook)
                             A 5 minute wait for a bulb to stabilize? - (Andrew Grygus)

The Elvis Presley Dambusters Clock-Plate Of Tutankhamen
78 ms