Having been through this, I know - it's not luck, it comes from deep down in the personality.

In my (much) more paranoid days I used to keep a luger (navy length barrel) jammed between my mattress and the headboard, snug in a fleece lined cozy (unzipped). I always wondered about a number of serious questions should someone actually sneak into my house.

One day, in late afternoon, I was very tired and took a nap. That nap overslept into the evening darkness.

My weekend girlfriend of the time came in and slipped into the bedroom with her stuff. I awoke suddenly, aware there was someone in the room. These questions were answered, according to the lady, in about 1-1/2 seconds.
  • Should the occasion arise, would I remember it was there? - Oh, you betcha I did - got it in one smooth cat-quick motion!
  • Would I remember it had a safety, where it was, and how to disengage it? - That too - no problem there!
  • Would I aim the first shot to hit or to miss? - Aimed to miss.
  • Would I pause to identify before firing any shot? - Yes - no shots were fired.
Of course, even so, the lady never again entered my bedroom in the dark without calling ahead - even long after the luger was stashed in the closet.