IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Zamudio was ready to shoot the guy with the pistol
without knowing that the pistol was now out of the hands of the original shooter. Good thing that he listened to someone before going all Rambo on him - doesn't make him any smarter than anyone else, just lucky that he hesitated.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Not just luck.
Having been through this, I know - it's not luck, it comes from deep down in the personality.

In my (much) more paranoid days I used to keep a luger (navy length barrel) jammed between my mattress and the headboard, snug in a fleece lined cozy (unzipped). I always wondered about a number of serious questions should someone actually sneak into my house.

One day, in late afternoon, I was very tired and took a nap. That nap overslept into the evening darkness.

My weekend girlfriend of the time came in and slipped into the bedroom with her stuff. I awoke suddenly, aware there was someone in the room. These questions were answered, according to the lady, in about 1-1/2 seconds.
  • Should the occasion arise, would I remember it was there? - Oh, you betcha I did - got it in one smooth cat-quick motion!
  • Would I remember it had a safety, where it was, and how to disengage it? - That too - no problem there!
  • Would I aim the first shot to hit or to miss? - Aimed to miss.
  • Would I pause to identify before firing any shot? - Yes - no shots were fired.
Of course, even so, the lady never again entered my bedroom in the dark without calling ahead - even long after the luger was stashed in the closet.
New so your point is
That every gun owner is trigger happy with no ability to assess a situation and that this guy was just lucky.

Got it
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New No
some are, some aren't. Depending on them all being non-trigger-happy is dumb.
New Does this also apply to law enforcement?
just asking....as you are all in heavy generalization mode at this time.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Strawman much?
New Yep. Certainly do.
However, in many cases, the folks concealing and carrying here are former military (Tucson also a very large military community) and are more than likely better trained than their law-enforcement counterparts.

However, as that doesn't fit into your stereotype, I apologize for bringing that point up.
New Dude, you're completely mischaracterizing what I said
Trusting that ALL of them will be reasonable (as is the case in AZ under current law) is just nuts. All those reasonable trained conceal carry people aren't going to make one bit of difference if the guy you're next to isn't one of them.
New Possible
as you were throwing it in as a carry-on from Linc's massive generalization....

My point is that its likely even-odds, or possibly better odds that the private citizen carrying is better trained that the law enforcement officer at the scene.

And when you add the Tom Brokaw thing in...well thats just silly is what that is.
New I don't know anything about the Tom Brokaw thing
I don't watch TV, let alone US broadcast news TV. And I'm not Linc.
New Should read all of my posts then ;-)
Since I posted it all here this morning.
New trying to put your words into my mouth
another straw man attempt on your part. Another fail.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New No I'm not. I'm countering the implication in your link.
you posted a link of a very astute observation...that Mr Z was careful.

Then they go on to at least imply that regardless of that fact, its a bad thing that he was carrying.

How about the other what if...that the shooter had reloaded and was getting ready to let off another 31 rounds and Mr Z got out there and took him down?

Would we be implying that he should not have been allowed to carry then?
New We can play "What If" all day long if you want

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Yes we can
and come to completely different conclusions doing so. Felt it was rather poor writing on the part of your original author, however...as it relied on what actually did NOT happen to support the case.
New AH, wrong link level.
New The hesitation was not luck
You are projecting. Maybe it would be luck for you, and you can't envision it being part of a fluid well executed process in someone else.

He has a thought process, you heard some of it. He might have needed to shoot as he rounded the corner, but he wasn't "trigger happy".

He did the right thing, and you characterize it as luck.

That was a leap, and an accusative leap, which I don't think is warranted here.

Find another example for your viewpoints, they are usually pretty good.

But not this one.
     "Why doesn't everybody just carry a gun?" - (lincoln) - (19)
         Re: "Why doesn't everybody just carry a gun?" - (boxley)
         Looks to me like proof that - (beepster) - (17)
             Zamudio was ready to shoot the guy with the pistol - (lincoln) - (16)
                 Not just luck. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 so your point is - (beepster) - (13)
                     No - (jake123) - (7)
                         Does this also apply to law enforcement? - (beepster) - (6)
                             Strawman much? -NT - (jake123) - (5)
                                 Yep. Certainly do. - (beepster) - (4)
                                     Dude, you're completely mischaracterizing what I said - (jake123) - (3)
                                         Possible - (beepster) - (2)
                                             I don't know anything about the Tom Brokaw thing - (jake123) - (1)
                                                 Should read all of my posts then ;-) - (beepster)
                     trying to put your words into my mouth - (lincoln) - (4)
                         No I'm not. I'm countering the implication in your link. - (beepster) - (2)
                             We can play "What If" all day long if you want -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Yes we can - (beepster)
                         AH, wrong link level. -NT - (beepster)
                 The hesitation was not luck - (crazy)

The simplest explanation is that I'm an idiot!
107 ms