IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Zoning is a forum by itself
Yeah, everything you asked are good questions.

But the striking thing about this work is that it shows how some sets of answers are much, much worse than others -- and that the price is disproportionately borne at the low end of the socio-economic stratum. The Houston and Boston metro areas have about the same population, but the median cost of housing in Boston is about 3 times that of Houston's (350K vs 120K).

That's a big difference -- a 30-year mortgage in Houston would be an $800/mo payment, vs. a $2330/mo payment in the Boston area. A lower-middle class family in Houston can reasonably expect to be able to own a home. A home is mostly out of the reach for middle class families living inside the Boston. That's really bad news, because homes are one of the principal means of capital accumulation for the non-rich: investment vehicles like stock are only owned by slightly more than half of the population, and savings accounts don't generate signficant investment returns.

I wonder how much of our underclass would be able to get out of poverty if there were fewer regulations keeping them there. The heartening implication from this study stems from the fact that zoning regs are all local -- this means that individual, local, activism is likely to be able to effect some positive change. If it were Washington regulations that were the problem it would take a much larger effort to solve. Now I feel all politically motivated. :)
New Three comments
The first is that this is good material for the wiki.

The second is that the problem may be harder to solve than you think. As you note, a house is a large fraction of the average owner's wealth. Changing building regulations to allow lots of new development tends to drop the value of nearby existing housing. This immediately makes those home-owners rather highly motivated enemies, who likely have some standing in the community.

Now you might think that they stand to make lots of money. After all if you own a 3 million dollar home, you can break it up into 10 lots of a million per at current prices. But if that starts happening then everyone else on the block gets all upset, plus if this starts happening to any large extent then the 3 million dollar home can be split up into 10 lots of, say, $180K per, at 30K of profit. Which means that, erm, you make $300K on what was an initial $3M house. And in the event of a major legal shift, this price change would happen pretty fast.

And my third comment? I don't think that their pinning the hidden costs on government is necessarily accurate. For instance I would bet that the influence of organized crime on NYC's housing costs should not be underestimated...

Cheers,
Ben

PS That is organized crime as opposed to the rather less organized crime of government. duck
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     DDT. - (acagle) - (16)
         *grin* - (imric) - (14)
             I remember you sharing that story before - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yup! -NT - (imric)
             Reminds me of an architect I knew - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Not just architects; Greed is now a commodity - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Works the other way also - (boxley)
                     Heh. Airports are a favorite target - (Ric Locke) - (4)
                         Sounds like my F=MA sign - (Ashton) - (1)
                             one car lenth for every 10mph -NT - (boxley)
                         Same stuff in Seattle. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Universal situation - (Ric Locke)
                 There's an article in the NYT... - (neelk) - (3)
                     Zoning is a forum by itself - (boxley) - (2)
                         Re: Zoning is a forum by itself - (neelk) - (1)
                             Three comments - (ben_tilly)
         Ancient History - (morganek)

His laugh sounds like a balloon deflating into the face of a man who is throwing up and singing at the same time. It is the worst.
53 ms