IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Word is, MS are using it like persistent Memory.
Rather than a storage device.

This changes the basic format of the device.
New I wonder what idiot approved that.
People are used to SD cards being you know, *removable* storage. (Then too, I wonder how many people do actually remove memory cards from things.)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New They were stuck for a long time...
Really Microsoft had very little prospects of getting it out the door before Christmas in time to get it into the hand of the hardware people which could get it into the hands of the cell phone carriers.

Someone at I think AT&T as they are feeling the iPhone exclusivity hammer coming... suggested that since they couldn't get Window Phone 7 to run inside the 8GB constraints on the on board memory... they use the SD card in RAW format and switch its mode to the other mode SD cards have... its a one time switch.

On the other hand, Linux and OSX have been able to do that for a long time. Windows just recently (with Windows 7) just got the native ability to do that. Its cheap and easy.

Why do you think you are starting to see Windows Workstations with 2 Primary disk drives for the OS... one with traditional storage another used for "special purposes" also being an SSD used in RAW mode.

Windows can address *FAR* more virtual memory than real memory. Why not! So... they just did it with Windows Phone 7.
New Hmm.
On the face of it, it makes sense.

Two red flags, though: users expect removable storage to be removable, which we've covered ad nauseum. The second, though: it needs more than 8Gb?? I think *that's* the elephant in the room.

Wade.

New Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
A cupie doll to this fine young man for his imaginary girl friend!

Seriously though Wade... does it surprise you?
New I'm not surprised in the least.
Although Microsoft have had some genius programmers in their time, like most software houses, these individuals number in the extreme minority.

Wade.

P.S. What would I do with a cupie doll? :-)

P.P.S. No, don't answer that.

New Well, I can answer that
you should put it into a cave to placate the spirits.
New Making lemonade from an albatross:
*News! * *News! * *News! * *News! * *News! * *News! *

Microsoft today clarifies its need for >8GB for an 'operating' System:
"It's because our security concerns are so much greater than in those other OSs.
We use more memory so that you can enjoy the fruits of our new Beyond-secure OS improvements.
Enjoy your new freedom from intruders."

cha. cha. cha.
New Re: Hmmmmmmm.
The Samsung Focus has 1GB ROM for the OS. and a built in 8GB additional internal storage. The MicroSD slot in question extend that internal storage like adding drives to a raid-0 array. MS also requires the slots to be in the battery compartment so that people don't think they can pop cards from their camera in and out like they might do if the slot was external.
New That could just be an artifact
My Blackberry has a MicroSD slot under the battery. Just tight packaging, as far as I can tell.
--

Drew
New I think there's a design intent there.
My HTC Hero and all the Sony Ericsson phones I've had have their memory card slots accessible without removing the battery, in all cases this is quite deliberate.

OTOH, I know Nokia got lambasted for hiding the game cartridge slot in the original N-Gage under the battery.

Wade.

Figures, its Microsoft after all - (beepster) - (11)
         Word is, MS are using it like persistent Memory. - (folkert) - (10)
             I wonder what idiot approved that. - (static) - (9)
                 They were stuck for a long time... - (folkert) - (8)
                     Hmm. - (static) - (7)
                         Ding ding ding! We have a winner! - (folkert) - (2)
                             I'm not surprised in the least. - (static) - (1)
                                 Well, I can answer that - (jake123)
                         Making lemonade from an albatross: - (Ashton)
                         Re: Hmmmmmmm. - (altmann) - (2)
                             That could just be an artifact - (drook) - (1)
                                 I think there's a design intent there. - (static)

Hello, boys and girls!
71 ms