IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As much as St. Ronnie can claim victory over the USSR.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New Pithy.. yeah, like That.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New Oh c'mon
As much as I hated the bastard (really, when he went into forgetful old man mode, I just wanted to string him up), he really had a huge effect.

Make people believe it is better, and shazaam, it's better. And he (ok, yeah, many moments leading to that moment, but he pushed it) bankrupted the soviets, which you may not have liked, but it worked for us.

Before that point, the US lived in a shadow of Russian nukes. Any kids growing up before that should be able to remember the deep gut level fear, programmed in, and that phrase should be enough to trigger it. After that moment, poof.

Talk to kids today and see if their mind set is shaped by nukes falling out of the sky. Nope.

I think that's a good thing, and I think uncle Ronnie was a strong piece of it.

On the family level, we had many arguments over him. My dad loved him. At dinner one night, he said: Say what you will, but all my kids have jobs right now.

A few years later, he wasn't in such close agreement. My dad thought he paid too little in taxes based on RR's tax cuts. My dad was an accountant. He NEVER thought he paid too little in taxes. He fought the IRS for years for his clients. He loved it. He was good at it. And then he became a soda company executive.

He though RR's tax strategy was going to do serious harm to the country, even though it was beneficial to him, and it was wrong.

Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 13, 2010, 06:25:40 AM EDT
New Huge effect is one way of phrasing it, I suppose.
He inherited a country that was a world class lender and passed on a country that was a world class debtor. As I recall, he was the beginning of the "we don't have to make stuff, just money" POV. I tend to regard him as the beginning of the end.
Just my two remaining pennies...
New And now you've spent them thar pennies...
Did you make copies of them?
New Isn't that what couch cushions are for? Spare change?
New Yeah, happened on his watch
But he didn't even realize it was happening until it was over.

Hell, on 9/10 George W. was still fighting the USSR.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
     Final post on tax cuts, supply-side theory/magical thinking - (drook) - (26)
         WHAT???? - (beepster) - (25)
             Re: Taxes - (drook)
             RCP? - (Another Scott) - (13)
                 Those aren't his cuts - (beepster) - (12)
                     You're arguing with "the press" now? - (Another Scott) - (11)
                         Probably your grammar. - (beepster) - (10)
                             See above. Sorry if I'm not always clear. -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                 last I checked.. - (beepster) - (8)
                                     Check again. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                         oops, sorry. - (beepster) - (6)
                                             If patriotism '..IS the last refuge of the scoundrel'? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                 That's not Mencken, it's Samual Johnson. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                     Yes, of course - brain-sort 404. Bierce is er, orthogonal? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         what does Bierce have to do with bird watching? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             RTFP, er, thread -NT - (Ashton)
                                             C'mon Beep - (crazy)
             But was that actually a 9/11 effect? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                 Can bin-L claim credit for predicting That overreaction, too - (Ashton) - (8)
                     Re: Can bin-L claim credit for predicting That overreaction, - (boxley)
                     As much as St. Ronnie can claim victory over the USSR. -NT - (mhuber) - (6)
                         Pithy.. yeah, like That. -NT - (Ashton)
                         Oh c'mon - (crazy) - (4)
                             Huge effect is one way of phrasing it, I suppose. - (hnick) - (2)
                                 And now you've spent them thar pennies... - (folkert) - (1)
                                     Isn't that what couch cushions are for? Spare change? -NT - (hnick)
                             Yeah, happened on his watch - (mhuber)

We've got a whole bag of *tsht* with your name on it!
88 ms