IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Enterprise Virtualization
VMWare vs. HyperV vs. Solaris WhatNot vs. KVM

It's my understanding that VMWare is the clear leader in this space, even when looking at only a single OS, let alone if you have to support Windows, Solaris, *and* Linux on your virtualization fabric.

Any opinions or experience in this space?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Enterprise Virtualization
Is Oracle in that space?

Licensing the virtual environment can get tricky.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Ummm Solaris Whatnot...
That would be Oracle.
New Not what I meant, sorry
meaning if Oracle boxes are going to be virtualized.

Oracle has licensing schema that make using anything but their own VM solution somewhat unpalatable.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New Give me a list of desired VMs
ie:

3 Linux database servers serving 10TB of online Web traffic
6 ADS controller, must be on 2 physically separate computers
Exchange server serving X amount of people. Must connect to web front end proxy server via X interface to DMZ, requiring X number of network connections to the virtual server hardware.
SQL server serving X amount of X type queries.
3 Oracle Instances, 2 on-line, active, serving X (blah, blah).

After you are done with that, give me per instance uptime and availability requirements.

If you have specific machines you are migrating from, give exact current configuration and "happiness level" of user community.

In the case of any heavy IO machine, make sure you state the type of activity.

If you have clustering code that splits work between machines, let me know.

If you have certain DMZ requirements, state them.

Ok, this goes on and on. Don't post, email me, it gets sensitive when you work through infrastructure.

I'll check out the list, see if it fits in with my knowledge, and give a response.
New Will take me a few.
Thanks.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New the answer is depends
we(big we) use kvm and vmware. My slice decided to go with KVM because it comes free with the support fees for redhat. We are not using it for database just transactional servers. Oracle licensing would be the main factor on schema.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New We use solaris zones here
of course, that only allows virtualizing solaris, but it works very well for our uses: fast, easy, and free. Mind you, that's in production, where we run strictly headless. On the desktops here, Virtuabox works well here on linux for virtualizing windows so we can test the windows browsers for those things we need to test them for.

This is a Solaris on Sparc in the backroom and linux on the desktop shop here.
     Enterprise Virtualization - (malraux) - (7)
         Re: Enterprise Virtualization - (beepster) - (2)
             Ummm Solaris Whatnot... - (folkert) - (1)
                 Not what I meant, sorry - (beepster)
         Give me a list of desired VMs - (crazy) - (1)
             Will take me a few. - (malraux)
         the answer is depends - (boxley)
         We use solaris zones here - (jake123)

Reply with that mantra and - I won't ever be seeing your unread gloat.
43 ms