IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, really.
What are these "taxes" you speak of. AFAIK, the only 2 are excise taxes on tobacco and on tanning services.

The federal tax was increased from $0.39 to $1.01 per pack of 20 cigarettes in April, 2009. http://www.ttb.gov/m...hip-summary.shtml Other taxes on tobacco were increased as well. It is intended to pay for an expansion of SCHIP. Imagine that - increasing a benefit and finding a way to pay for it under PAYGO. Whodoathunkit.

Smoke 2 packs a day, pay $226.30 more to the federal government a year. It's a huge burden. :-/

Don't like it? Don't buy tobacco. Problem solved.

It's not a tax on people who make less than $250k, it's a tax on smokers. This isn't complicated.

The excise tax on indoor tanning services is 10%. Around here, one can get "high level" monthly packages for $100 a month. That additional tax would be $120 a year. Another huge burden. :-/ It doesn't apply to medically necessary treatments at licensed medical offices - http://www.irs.gov/b...id=224600,00.html

Don't like it? Go to a doctor. Or go outside. Problem solved.

In contrast, Obama has cut taxes more than that - http://www.politifac...mulus-made-it-so/ . So even if someone is a heavy smoker and a heavy tanner, they would have come out ahead - had their net taxes cut. Or, IOW, he would have cut taxes on people making less than $200k/$250k.

But let's step back and see what Obama actually said that gets reduced to the "I won't raise any taxes" sound bite: http://www.barackoba...rack_obam_112.php

[...]

To pay for these tax cuts, I'll stand up to special interest carve-outs, close corporate loopholes and offshore tax havens, and ask the wealthiest Americans to give back a portion of the Bush tax cuts. It's time for folks like me who make over $250,000 to pay our fair share to keep the American promise alive for our children and grandchildren.

When you're running for four more years of George Bush's policies, it's hard to run on your plans. So you make stuff up. You twist facts, and you don't tell the truth - that's what John McCain has done when it comes to my tax plan. So let's be clear about what we are proposing.

My plan - all together - is a net tax cut. My plan will cut taxes to a smaller share of the economy than they were under President Reagan. Under my plan, income taxes for typical American families will be the lowest that they've been in more than a half century. Everyone in America - everyone - will pay lower taxes than they would under the rates Bill Clinton had in the 1990s. And under my plan, middle class families will get three times as much relief as Senator McCain is offering. In fact, his plan gives absolutely nothing to over 100 million American households.

And I can make a firm pledge: under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 will see their taxes increase - not your income taxes, not your payroll taxes, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes. My opponent can't make that pledge, and here's why: for the first time in American history, he wants to tax your health benefits Apparently, Senator McCain doesn't think it's enough that your health premiums have doubled, he thinks you should have to pay taxes on them too. That's a $3.6 trillion tax increase on middle class families. That will eventually leave tens of millions of you paying higher taxes. That's his idea of change.

Now I do want to be fair. Senator McCain is offering some tax cuts. He'd spend nearly $2 trillion over a decade in tax breaks for corporations. He would continue the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. His plan gives more than a half million dollars in tax cuts for households making over $2.8 million. That's right - $2.8 million. Now I know that Senator McCain has said that only those making over $5 million a year are rich, so maybe he thinks that folks making $2.8 million are middle class.

[...]

The big picture says he's right. He obviously wasn't talking about excise taxes. Excise taxes are in the noise. But the big picture isn't interesting to some people here. And some people around here seem to think that Obama is a dictator who writes legislation, while most of us who were awake in American History know that the House writes the tax rules... :-/

Your insistence in constructing a strawman of me as some brainwashed Obamabot ideologue is rather tiresome. But whatever.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Do you pay attention to your quotes?
And I can make a firm pledge: under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 will see their taxes increase - not your income taxes, not your payroll taxes, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.

That is an absolute statement made by President Obama.

Care to look up the demographic of smokers and or tanners? (other taxes have changed, but no need to look them up, as point is made here).

I'm willing to bet that those demographics are majority making less than 250k and the last piece IS absolutist and NOT a net calculation.

Yes, this is semantics. But I can bet pretty safely that I make under 250k and my take home is already down because of the change in withholding. And will everyone get this back equally? Or will alot of folks who don't make enough to file simply give that extra to the fed? (oh but they could get it back if they filed, so thats not the dems fault either). So again, we qualify to your semantics because it isn't >really< a tax increase.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New It's those bees ... in his head.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New Well Mr President...It's the bees and spiders again
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
     10 RepubliCANT Lies About The Bush Tax Cuts - (lincoln) - (48)
         you really like that source -NT - (beepster) - (1)
             Yeah I do - (lincoln)
         sure I will play - (boxley) - (45)
             My only comment about that is - (jake123) - (2)
                 If it was singular, I would agree - (beepster) - (1)
                     It's still a hell of a lot less than the rest of the west - (jake123)
             Re: sure I will play - (lincoln) - (41)
                 useless links cant argue against facts - (boxley) - (40)
                     So let me get this straight - (crazy) - (28)
                         Re: So let me get this straight - (boxley) - (27)
                             Who's this "we" you're talking about? -NT - (Another Scott) - (22)
                                 me and mine, taxes and fees have already gone up under obama - (boxley) - (21)
                                     You've said that several times... - (Another Scott) - (20)
                                         federal excise tax, new rules on taxtables - (boxley) - (19)
                                             but HE didn't do it. - (beepster)
                                             You're still not giving me useful information. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                 Just stop it - (beepster) - (15)
                                                     Um, I wasn't talking to you. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Oh darn - (beepster)
                                                     ... - (Another Scott)
                                                     ... - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                         from your link - (beepster) - (10)
                                                             Categorical statements are trivially wrong. Film at 11:00. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                 Ok, so unless just the singular - (beepster) - (8)
                                                                     You're amazing... -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                         Me? - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                             I'm not your strawman. Open your eyes. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                                 Really? - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                     Yes, really. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                         Do you pay attention to your quotes? - (beepster)
                                                                                         It's those bees ... in his head. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                             Well Mr President...It's the bees and spiders again -NT - (beepster)
                                                 javapuke I quit fapfapfap - (boxley)
                             Re: So let me get this straight - (lincoln) - (3)
                                 They had a hand in it - (beepster) - (2)
                                     That's the best you got? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                         Did I say that? - (beepster)
                     Read it again S-L-O-W-L-Y - (lincoln) - (10)
                         you betcha - (boxley) - (9)
                             No, Bush controlled EVERYTHING - (beepster) - (8)
                                 How are the RepubliCANTS compromising today - (lincoln) - (7)
                                     Is Kagan being sworn in today? -NT - (beepster) - (6)
                                         nope republiCANTS didnt vote for her -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             5 did - (beepster) - (1)
                                                 dont tell lincoln, he wont beleive it - (boxley)
                                         And that has what to do with Bush tax cuts? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Why don't you back read the thread - (beepster) - (1)
                                                 Heh. -NT - (Another Scott)

I never trusted P.E. teachers, I'll tell you that.
107 ms