IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I didn't realize "Weath of Nations" was a tax manual.
Adam Smith did have a few things to say about them, though: http://www.perceptio...k.com/maxims.html

I. The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities;

that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state.

The expense of government to the individuals of a great nation is like the expense of management to the joint tenants of a great estate, who are all obliged to contribute in proportion to their respective interests in the estate.

In the observation or neglect of this maxim consists what is called the equality or inequality of taxation.

Every tax, it must be observed once for all, which falls finally upon one only of the three sorts of revenue above mentioned, is necessarily unequal in so far as it does not affect the other two.

[...]

You think Mr. Lampert is contributing in a fair proportion by being taxed at 15%, that his revenue should be taxed differently than your waitress? I think Mr. Smith would be appalled, myself.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nice that Mr Smith says such wonderful things.
So did many other figures, including Marx.

If the rules were such that this gentleman could NOT move his money to himself in 2 different methods and receive 2 different treatments I would not cry for him.

What I AM saying, is that expecting him to pay 20% more that he has to is an unrealistic expectation (contrary to his very nature..and actually contrary to almost everyones nature)..and to tag it as "obscene" is lunacy.

When is the last time you walked into a car dealer and were perfectly fine looking at the sticker and paying that price?
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New What's obscene is the mindset that created that rule.
So Adam Smith is like Marx now? :-p

Of course if the tax break is available to him, he's going to take it.

The big problem is the mindset that created the tax break in the first place, not him taking advantage of it. It's another symptom of the broken tax system.

Of course, I have little doubt that he and/or his firm has lobbied to keep the rule in place. This gift to him and others like him didn't appear out of thin air.

On the destruction of wealth if people pay their fair share of taxes canard:

http://ctj.org/pdf/c...dinterest2010.pdf (2 page .pdf):

Don’t We Want to Encourage Venture Capital?

The venture capital industry is lobbying for a carve-out from the carried interest provision. They point out they foster small business, encourage innovation, and create jobs, so we don’t want this type of investment to dry up. It’s a tempting argument, but try to see through the smoke. The change affects only the managers of venture capital funds. It doesn’t change how the investors are taxed. The managers will take home less cash, but they still have plenty of incentive to work hard and make the fund successful—remember that 20 percent interest they get, plus the 2 percent management fee. The venture capitalists provide important services, but no more important than the teachers who educate our kids to create the next round of innovations. Teachers’ salaries shouldn’t be taxed at higher rates than venture capitalists’ compensation.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New a commision is income, not investment return
no different than a vacuum cleaner salesman. Loophole needs to be closed. Until then it can be used, thats how it works.
thanx,
bill
New Well, when Adam Smith and Karl Marx agree
there might be something to the item on which they agree.

Actually, I suspect a serious student of the two could find a substantial body of theory in common between them.

And I think it is valuable to remember that the robber barons created Karl Marx. (In rather the same way that the Catholic Church teaches that giving up sex is a bad thing to do.) Without them - or with them properly regulated - nobody would have listened to him.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
     The Economist FTW! - (Another Scott) - (14)
         yup, that is income earned and needs to be taxes as such -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             No. That would be unfairly taxing the rich. - (folkert)
         General idiocy. - (beepster) - (10)
             so why is your country's economy is circling the bowl - (jake123)
             I didn't realize "Weath of Nations" was a tax manual. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Nice that Mr Smith says such wonderful things. - (beepster) - (3)
                     What's obscene is the mindset that created that rule. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         a commision is income, not investment return - (boxley)
                     Well, when Adam Smith and Karl Marx agree - (mhuber)
             So if no one gives anyone any money, we'll all be rich? - (drook) - (3)
                 Pretty much - (beepster) - (2)
                     Not having the US hit a debt wall - (jake123) - (1)
                         talk to nother, no such thing :-) -NT - (boxley)
         Semi-related: An OpEd at the NYTimes today. - (Another Scott)

Give me someone I can vote for is all I ask.
59 ms