IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New XC First, Towers next.
There's a guy just ahead of me where I'm learning. He just finished his dual XC and I asked my instructor if he was going to solo XC next. He said that he likes to dual XC, then dual to an aiport w/tower next. So, I guess next week I'll be talking to a tower ;-)

My CFI owns a 182 and he took my daughters and me up one day a couple weeks ago (EAA Young Eagles flight). He let me fly it a bit on one of the flights and I could not believe the difference. With the 150, you barely put any pressure on the wheel, I felt like I was doing a bench press on the 182 by comparison. And ground speed, I couldn't believe it!

I've never flown a 172, have you flown a 150 or 152? I've gotta believe there's a non-trivial difference. Some of the pilots at our place that regularly fly Pipers say they don't like to fly the 150 - they feel like it gets away from them too easily. I almost took lessons in a 172 (I hope to buy one in Summer '03). But, I talked to my wife's uncle (runs Bill's AeroService in southern Indiana) and he recommended the 150. He and his son both said, "The 172 kind of wants to help you. If you learn in the 150, you'll be a better pilot for it." Not knowing anything about flying when I started, that was enough for me to decide on training in the 150, which, btw, is not approved for spins :-)

I haven't tried a power-on stall by myself yet. I imagine that'll scare hell out of me. Thought I'd do it one more time dual since I haven't been doing anything but take-offs and landings of late. Crosswind landings were pretty exciting. With stalls, thinking about it for me is worse than doing it. When I'm doing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal, but knowing that I could enter a spin if I don't keep those wings level, <shudder>.

I haven't practiced ground-reference maneuvers in a while, I pretty much sucked at that the first time or two. Steep turns I did okay, (except the last time). On my last turn to the right, I started out pointing 180 and finished at 270. Smooth.

I just finished ground school and will probably take the exam next week some time (assuming I can get some time between now and then to commit all those FAR's to memory).

bcnu,
Mikem
New Heck, do 'em at the same time. :)
I did..

First was about 30 mins each way to Class D, and then went to the beach to eat seafood, and back.

You'll not do the x-country planning well enough. Trust me. :)

Make sure you make a good note of which runways they are - you'll probably be cleared to land before you see the airport - and they'll tell you to make a 2 mile right base or something unusual... after being ingrained with the pattern, it'll catch you off-guard. :)

I've never flown a 172, have you flown a 150 or 152? I've gotta believe there's a non-trivial difference.

I imagine that'll scare hell out of me.

Nah, power-ons aren't scary, just you're pointed up at the sky... pushed back in the seat - and slowing down. :)

When I'm doing it, it doesn't seem that big a deal, but knowing that I could enter a spin if I don't keep those wings level,

NO!

Don't think wings. Think rudder. Rudder. Rudder. :)

(assuming I can get some time between now and then to commit all those FAR's to memory).

I did it as I went along... Got the jeppeson tapes, and If I'd stop mudding, should watch them. :)

Addison

Nope. I don't fit in a 152. Well, I do, but not a CFI to check me out on it, too.

I hear they're a little more nimble, more fighterlike. 172's are supposedly a bit more stable. Of course, the change in the solo/CFI are a lot more drastic, I hear. :)

I almost took lessons in a 172 (I hope to buy one in Summer '03).

Not a bad move to do that - insurance will be less the more hours and time in type you've got.

which, btw, is not approved for spins :-)

Actually, they are. I almost spun once, went about 90 degrees to the left in under a second.

Wasn't as scary at the time that it is now.

I'm going to find somebodywhich, btw, is not approved for spins :-) who's got a spinnable plane, and I intend to go ahead and spin a few times. I've read a lot of older-time pilots talking about how silly it is *not* to teach spins.

So I'm going to go up and spin a few times, and be certain I know how to get out of them. :)

New Couple Questions.
How many hours do you have? (PIC and DUAL).

Do you own the 172 you're flying? If so, and if you don't mind my asking, what's insurance running you/year?

I'm going to be doing my XC planning tonight (and tomorrow probably ;-)

Thanks for the pointers.

bcnu,
Mikem
New Re: Couple Questions.
Right now?

22.3 PIC, 46.1 Dual. 68.4 total.

Nope, course not.

Can't afford a 172. :)

Not a current one, anyway. $55-60. For that I can get a Cherokee 180, with more performance, maybe even the Grumman Tiger I *really* want.

Insurance - nothing right now, I'm under my CFI's. I've been quoted about $960 from AOPA for renters insurance.

Don't know what your CFI told you. Plot where your Top Of Climb will be, because if your direction is off, you might can see it by then. (And it really confuses the time to have the first waypoint somewhere else).

So have a line there. Make a note somewhere of FSS and such, approaches you might want to get flight following from.

My flight instructor jumped me with "where are we' and "when will we be" etc.. so get a watch (one on your hand doesn't work well. :) - I got a $10 cheapo, with big display, and put it with some velcro straps from a server rack around my clipboard (you need a clipboard), and then when I get to a waypoint, note when, and then know how far to the next one.

Addison
New Thanks.
I got renter's insurance for $330 ($500,000 liability and only $10,000 for the plane I'm flying - a 61 C150A won't be worth much more than that ;-)

I'll bump it later, of course.

Right now, it doesn't look as though we'll even be flying tomorrow (warm front is hanging around - 40% chance of thunderstorms along route tomorrow morning - when I'm supposed to fly).

I was gonna hit www.duats.com today, but at this point I'm less than hopeful.

Thanks for the tips, I suspect my CFI will be asking me about every 30 seconds where we are, how long until we get to X, etc. as well.

bcnu,
Mikem
New Re: Thanks.
my CFIs have insurance to cover me, so its not an issue right now.

Days like that might be good, might be bad. I've flown on days with 40% TS - because they were already past.

Nah, he'll wait for you/let you screw up first. :)

Addison
     Two weeks ago I soloed. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         Heh... - (admin)
         Re: Two weeks ago I soloed. - (addison) - (8)
             Good Luck! - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 The *really* scary part is yet to come. :) - (addison) - (6)
                     XC First, Towers next. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         Heck, do 'em at the same time. :) - (addison) - (4)
                             Couple Questions. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 Re: Couple Questions. - (addison) - (2)
                                     Thanks. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Re: Thanks. - (addison)
         Cool! - (SpiceWare)
         Yup; it's almost as exciting as - (Ashton)
         having become a pilot - (boxley)
         Re: Two weeks ago I soloed. CONGRATS !!! - last week was ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
             Thanks! - (mmoffitt)
         Doing better than this guy... - (addison) - (2)
             (More info) - (addison) - (1)
                 Holy Cow! - (mmoffitt)

Remember, rank times IQ is a constant.
95 ms