IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OS/2 atop Linux?
Is IBM considering an OS/2 redo?
http://searchdatacen...ci1508584,00.html

A systems integrator close to the computing giant swears there's a move afoot inside IBM to reintroduce the operating system
According to the integrator, IBM's nascent plan is to repurpose OS/2 "services" atop a Linux core.
If IBM wanted to take another run at Microsoft on the desktop--and believe it, there are still people hurting from the last go-round--this could be one way to make Linux more user friendly Basanta reasoned. The reason people use Windows and the Mac is they're easy to use. One of the last hurdles to broad-scale Linux desktop adoption is analogous ease of use, he said.
New Heh.
The story would be better if the writer didn't keep mixing up the shell (WPS) with the GUI (PM) with OS/2 (the kernel) with the various networking services.

Presumably shops that are interested in this would be running Warp on Parallels or something similar.

Interesting story, though! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New BS
The reason people use Windows and the Mac is they're easy to use.

Nope. The reason people use Windows and Mac is because that's what Office and Photoshop run on.

Yes, plus some other details, but that right there is necessary and sufficient.
--

Drew
New You forgot one other important one
That is what came installed on the computer is a major factor also. It may be the most important one in the home market and is a significant factor even in business markets.

Jay
New That's a secondary issue
I really think so. If someone created a "must have" app that only ran on Linux, people would buy boxes with Linux on them.

Oh wait, that already happened. It's called Tivo.
--

Drew
New I concur.
My graphic designer sister would be interested in running Linux except that she needs to use Adobe products. She's even directly said so.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Also concur
When I'm asked for a computer recommendation, the first thing I ask is "what will you be using it for". OS is secondary. Trouble it, most of the popular apps are Windows based.

Where WE have an opinion about the OS, the average user, my wife is great example, just want to turn it on and run. OS/2, Windows, MAC, BeOS, GEOS, Linux, or DOS, they really don't care.
New That would be nice
if they really wanted to do something useful with their IP in OS/2 wrt linux, they'd open source the WPS (which as I understand it is quite doable, unlike the kernel and PM) and use it to create something that can replace gnome or KDE.

If they did that, I'd be there pdq... the WPS is still the best, imho.
     OS/2 atop Linux? - (SpiceWare) - (7)
         Heh. - (Another Scott)
         BS - (drook) - (4)
             You forgot one other important one - (jay) - (1)
                 That's a secondary issue - (drook)
             I concur. - (static)
             Also concur - (jbrabeck)
         That would be nice - (jake123)

Are you a Brother of the Conch too??
116 ms