IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Forgot to mention
that I have the add-in AdBlock Plus version 1.1.3 installed, and damn near everything but the kitchen sink is in there to prevent page load slowdowns.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Try a different browser.
You need to know whether it's your connection or something about Firefox.

Try IE, briefly. If IE is also slow, then it's likely something about the site or your connection. If IE is fast, I'd try clearing the FF cache and so forth and maybe install FF 3.6.x.

HTH a little. GL.

Cheers,
Scott.

New At this moment, IE6 is much faster
same sites, better results.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New I've seen some serious problems with 3.5
under ubuntu. They were fixed by installing 3.6.
New Re: I've seen some serious problems with 3.5
Just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and, sadly, I see no improvement on connecting to major web sites like Google's or Yahoo's home page.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New switch useragentstringv to ie see if it changes anything
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New ????
Can you give me more info regarding this; I have no idea what you mean.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Install the user agent switcher
Its a plugin for firefox.
New "better results"
This state of affairs will not last.

Delete the URLClassifier.sqlite file.

Also check your proxy settings. IE and FF use different ones.

And get rid of IE6, ffs. Are you trying to give your bank details to a chap in Russia?
New Re: "better results"

Delete the URLClassifier.sqlite file.

Done.

Also check your proxy settings. IE and FF use different ones.

This is set for "No proxy" which, I believe, is the way it has been for a very long time. PC is connected to the Linksys/Cisco router by Ethernet cable, and the router is connected to the cable modem by same.

And get rid of IE6, ffs. Are you trying to give your bank details to a chap in Russia?

You know that MS welded IE6 into XP so removal is not an option. Besides, since I don't do any online banking and have no personal financial information stored on either hard drive, there's not much here that would be beneficial to an identity thief.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New At least upgrade to IE8
It replaces all the IE6 widgets with IE8 ones... more better!

To be honest, IE8 is far better than IE6. Don't use v7, its pretty much CACK as well.

Hell IE v5.X was better then IE v6 ever was.
New Re: At least upgrade to IE8
I upgraded to IE7 last night. In comparison tests this morning IE7 is smoking Firefox 3.6. Example: I'm posting this right now from IE7; I clicked on the IWT URL in my bookmarks in Firefox - and it's STILL NOT connecting to the start page, while I clicked the IWT bookmark in IE7 after I did Firefox, and I'm all the way in and posting.

It's obvious that I picked up something as of Wednesday morning time frame that's affecting Firefox, even with the upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6. In addition to scanning with AVG Anti-Virus, Spybot, and Malwarebytes Antimalware, what else can I run to check things out?

-- E.L. Doctorow
New FWIW, the Sun-Times site is fast here on FF3.6 on Winders.
I have the following Extensions installed and enabled: (Tools->Add-ons)

20-20 3D Viewer 3.0.31.0
Adblock Plus 1.1.3 (using the EasyList (USA) subscription with a few additions)
Firebug 1.5.2
Flashblock 1.5.11.2
FlashGot 1.2.1.17
Java Console 6.0.04
Java Console 6.0.07
Java Console 6.0.13
Java Console 6.0.15
Java Console 6.0.17
Java Console 6.0.03
Java Quick Starter 1.0
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.2

I have the following Plugins installed and enabled:

20-20 3D Viewer 3.0.31.0
Adobe Acrobat 8.2.0.81
BitTorrent 1.0.0.1
DNA Plug-in 1.0.0.1
Google Earth Plugin 1.0.0.1
Google Update 1.2.183.17
Google Updater 2.4.1536.6592
iTunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1
Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.170.4
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U17
Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503
Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503
Mozilla Default Plug-in 1.0.0.15
PalmSource Package Installer 1.5.0.4
Picasa 3.0.0.0
QuickTime Plug-in 7.5.5
RealJukebox NS Plugin 1.0.3.69
RealPlayer Version Plugin 6.0.12.69
RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit) 6.0.12.69
Shockwave Flash 10.0.45.2
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

There are many things about these lists that I don't understand, but there they are.

You might try updating Flash if you haven't already. Flash can be a real hog - I have FlashBlock enabled by default.

I doubt that you have a virus. I suspect that some extension or add-on in FF is giving you problems with some sites.

You might get a clue if you look at the FF status bar at the bottom of the FF window when it hangs. Many ad and graphics servers can time out or be very slow (http://www.boston.com is often very bad about that during the week). If you see a particular site being slow, you can add it to AdBlock so that it is skipped.

HTH a little. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Why IE7? IE8 is better in all aspects.
New Re: Why IE7? IE8 is better in all aspects.
I upgraded to IE8 late this morning. It too is running rings around Firefox 3.6; however, I am getting timeout problems with a few sites.

I the only Addons that are installed are
Adblock, 1.1.3
AVG Safe Search 9.0.0.716
Java Console 6.0.13
Java Quick Starter 1.0
US English Dictionary 4.0.0
ZoneAlarm Toolbar 1.5.53.4

My Flash plugin is 10.0.45.2

Connecting to all sites is much quicker on my Win98 box using Firefox 2.0, so I know I have something eating away at my primary box. I just don't know hardware and telecom software like I used to years ago.

-- E.L. Doctorow
New I'd try turning off AVG Safe Search.
I tried AVG's antivirus briefly. It may be Ok, but I don't like the browser plugin "feature". IIRC, it checks pages for malware links, etc., but slows things down in the process. Try turning that off.

Firefox already does some malware checking. (Tools->Options->Security). Note that I turned off "Block reported attack sites" because of some false positives.

ZoneAlarm may do something similar.

If you need them for your kids, that's fine. (I'm careful about the sites I visit, and do run SBS&D, etc., regularly.) But I wouldn't be surprised if they were the source of the slowdown.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.
Microsoft Security Essentials is easy to look after, lightweight and effective.
New Re: I'd try turning off AVG Safe Search.
I disabled AVG Safe Search 9.0.0.716 and ZoneAlarm Toolbar 1.5.53.4, but I'm not seeing a difference yet. I can say that I'm getting quite good response times from Mike's IWT box, though.

-- E.L. Doctorow
     requesting technical advice - (lincoln) - (19)
         Forgot to mention - (lincoln) - (17)
             Try a different browser. - (Another Scott) - (16)
                 At this moment, IE6 is much faster - (lincoln) - (15)
                     I've seen some serious problems with 3.5 - (jake123) - (4)
                         Re: I've seen some serious problems with 3.5 - (lincoln) - (3)
                             switch useragentstringv to ie see if it changes anything -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                 ???? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                     Install the user agent switcher - (folkert)
                     "better results" - (pwhysall) - (9)
                         Re: "better results" - (lincoln) - (8)
                             At least upgrade to IE8 - (folkert) - (7)
                                 Re: At least upgrade to IE8 - (lincoln) - (6)
                                     FWIW, the Sun-Times site is fast here on FF3.6 on Winders. - (Another Scott)
                                     Why IE7? IE8 is better in all aspects. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Re: Why IE7? IE8 is better in all aspects. - (lincoln) - (3)
                                             I'd try turning off AVG Safe Search. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. - (pwhysall)
                                                 Re: I'd try turning off AVG Safe Search. - (lincoln)
         Re: requesting technical advice - (lincoln)

A....E....I....O....U....Some....Times....Y.
168 ms