IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It that was true
then why is OpenOffice open sourced, aren't they afraid that Microsoft would steal code from OpenOffice the same as an Open Sourced Java?

Or is Sun just wanting to control Java so badly that they do not want to Open Source it?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New No
If that was true then why is OpenOffice open sourced, aren't they afraid that Microsoft would steal code from OpenOffice the same as an Open Sourced Java?

No, because they already have monopoly power in the office suite market. They don't perceive OpenOffice to be a threat, at least not yet. And don't forget, Microsoft controls the Office file formats. If OpenOffice starts to become a threat, they just change the Word file format, and the Excel file format, and suddenly OpenOffice isn't much of a threat anymore.

On the other hand, they've perceived Java as a threat for quite some time. There's no technical reason why they couldn't have supported JNI, but they chose not to specifically to make MS Java programs incompatible with the Sun JVM. Have you seen how many Visual J++ books Microsoft Press released? They worked very hard to pollute Java.
     Sun would let Java be Open-Source if it weren't for MSFT - (brettj) - (6)
         It that was true - (orion) - (1)
             No - (kelzer)
         Sun is being thick-headed. - (ChrisR) - (3)
             How would that help? - (addison) - (2)
                 Couldn't hurt... -NT - (imric)
                 I suppose one could question... - (ChrisR)

I keep looking for the phrase, "According to top Chinese and Russian scientists..."
35 ms