IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sun is being thick-headed.
It may have been true a couple of years ago that Microsoft could've coopted Java if it was Open Source. But Sun is way behind the times. Sun won the legal battle and MS can not change Java to suit their needs. Instead of coopting Java from within, Microsoft has shifted all of its energy to .NET, the CLR and C#.

If Sun is still worried about MS changing Java, then I suggest they don't have a clue how MS intends to fight Java at this stage. Notice how C# has been handed to the standards committee. Notice how MS is dropping Java as a standard installed component. Instead of changing Java, MS is bent on replacing it, using multi-language support and open standards as the calling card.

I think it's high time that Sun got off its ass and open sourced Java. Continuing the anthems of years past just means that Sun doesn't have a clue where the battle lines have been drawn. They are still fighting WWI trench warfare, and just don't see the geopolotical nature of software standards in the modern arena.
New How would that help?
I think it's high time that Sun got off its ass and open sourced Java.

Why?

Other than its "open source"?

Last night I downloaded IBM's 1.3 JDK for Linux. (to play with LimeWire). They specified the Sun JDK. Seems to run faster on the IBM JDK, and no problems.

I don't know what "open sourcing" Java would do for anybody, really. I don't think it would hurt Microsoft, and it wouldn't help Java. It *might*, but we're talking certainties, not perhapses.

I know we're all high on using open source products, but take a look at, oh, say, Mozilla. Open Sourced. Maybe a nice browser, but how far behind? Is it ever going to catch up and pass other browsers?

Maybe, but merely open sourcing Netscape didn't catapult it... I don't see that Java really has that many *problems*... Mainly because people who are using Java are going to keep using it, from what I've seen.

Addison
New Couldn't hurt...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New I suppose one could question...
...the value of taking Java to Open Source. The first point, though, is whether MS's efforts to pollute the language are the only reason why Java is not being opened up. I think Sun is fighting the battle on old grounds to suggest that MS mutilating the language is the reason why they can't do it.

Now, if Sun wants to argue there's no value in opening up Java, then let them make the case. Just stop trying to blame MS for it. MS no longer represents an internal threat to Java and the definition. It's decided to attack Java externally with no reliance on Sun technology.

As for reasons of opening up Java, the library is still a shambles in many respects. Swing and the rest of the Java desktop front pretty well bites. It's time to get some more help on the massive API's that Sun has laid out on the table.

And that's not to mention the possibility of using the JVM for languages other than Java - something Sun has resisted from the beginning.
     Sun would let Java be Open-Source if it weren't for MSFT - (brettj) - (6)
         It that was true - (orion) - (1)
             No - (kelzer)
         Sun is being thick-headed. - (ChrisR) - (3)
             How would that help? - (addison) - (2)
                 Couldn't hurt... -NT - (imric)
                 I suppose one could question... - (ChrisR)

What does this have to do with the movie?
48 ms