IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not sure that's a bad thing - seriously
You *do* know who the main beneficiaries of the Superfund have been?

The lawyers.

The romantic Erin Brockovich image aside, lawyers have been using the Superfund to reach into everyone's pockets for everything. Pretty much crowding out real victims and real sites that need cleanup. Not directly related, but [link|http://www.overlawyered.com|overlawyered.com] has pointed to a number of asbestos articles recently, in which (arguably superfund candidates) asbestos lawyers have been raking in the dough in a feeding frenzy while real victims aren't getting dipsquat.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New An interesting angle
but How..! could we possibly create legislation both lawyer and greed-proof? (And after all - they are there because we want them there = we sue; it's always in the back of the mind after ANY unexpected ocurrence which inconveniences someone.. somewhere.. anywhere at all.)

Vicious circle, that.
New Eh? You ever lived in a superfund affected city?
So the lawyers make money off this. So f*cking what? The crap gets cleaned. I lived in Waukegan IL for many years. That harbor was a national disgrace. You can now swim in it, eat the fish caught there and swim in the water, and not have to watch giant, mutant, green eyed seagulls snatch babys from their mother's arms and eat them in mid air... oops, sorry. I guess I read too many science fiction books.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Lake Erie was getting cleaned up before Superfund
Superfund sites are *specific* chemical contamination sites, not just general pollution. I don't know if the Waukegan harbor is a Superfund site, or if its cleaning is just a matter of enforcing environmental regulations.

I don't mind lawyers getting paid. I *do* mind them getting paid mega-millions for paper pushing any legal intern could do (and at their legal firms, probably did do).
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New same issue goes for the endangered species act
legitimate areas that need assistance go unhelped while lawyers rake in bucks by using activists lawsuits on economic targets.
thanx,
bill
There is no difference between a "settler," "soldier," "secular," or "Chassidic Jew." The target is the JEW.
\ufffd Harvey Tannenbaum
New I do know
Outboard Marine dumped PCBs in that harbor for years. Waukegan was, in fact, and still is, a superfund clean up site. About a year left to go until all the dredging is complete.

BTW, Waukegan is on Lake Michigan, not Erie.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
Expand Edited by Silverlock March 12, 2002, 11:49:04 AM EST
New Not just lawyers.
I live a few miles from the largest Superfund site in Michigan.

It's been dug down 30 feet, replaced, and capped 10 feet above ground level. They were talking about turning it into a golf course.

If it hadn't been for Superfund, it would still be a landfill with tens of thousands of barrels of chemical waste.

On the not-so-good side... there's a lake across the street (Spring Lake -- get it?) with new houses going around it. Word is that they found barrels while they were digging the foundations, and quietly just moved them. We were looking at that sub until we found out it was across from a Superfund site.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Superfund trust fund tax going away - (bconnors) - (9)
         Only a Bush-Republican could love the timing, too - - (Ashton)
         Not sure that's a bad thing - seriously - (wharris2) - (6)
             An interesting angle - (Ashton)
             Eh? You ever lived in a superfund affected city? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Lake Erie was getting cleaned up before Superfund - (wharris2) - (2)
                     same issue goes for the endangered species act - (boxley)
                     I do know - (Silverlock)
             Not just lawyers. - (admin)
         I'm sorry to see it go, but - (Ric Locke)

They're going to sue you.
43 ms