IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DNS question
Let's say you've got a CNAME record pointing a subdomain to a different server, like for instance 'blog' goes to 'ghs.google.com.' It works, blog.yourdomain.com goes to a blogspot blog like it's supposed to. Eveyone's happy.

Now suppose, hypothetically, your website host upgrades the hardware everything is on, and the CNAME record gets flipped, so 'ghs.google.com.' is now pointing to 'blog'.

That record isn't valid now. So when it propogates, is it possible that some DNS servers would recognize the broken-ness and keep the old record, while some DNS servers would either delete the record, or overwrite it with a non-functional record?

--

Drew
New think master slave
the TLD servers are authoritative so downstream a record update is accepted as gospel
New But the record would have to get *up* there first
Static just reminded me this morning that he can't see my blog. I also got an update from another reader that it disappeared for her, too. She said it had disappeared two weeks ago, it came back for a while, and now it's gone again.

I'm really close to just dropping my host entirely. At least with a new host I know I'd be starting from scratch and figure everything out. With this upgrade, I keep finding new ways it's broken, and they keep changing my files to "fix" it.
--

Drew
New I would think so.
I know that oddness like some people having correct DNS information and others not is often because of cache ages of information: in DNS-land this is the TTL value, as you know.

I can't find my Bind book at the moment, but I don't think it mentions anything about validating saneness in DNS information. So errors propagate easily, yes. Unfortunately, it will take up to at least the TTL value for a fix to propagate fully, too.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New I think it may be fixed
I fixed the config, and now someone who couldn't see it this morning is seeing it again. Yippee.

Now I just need to find out:
* What user 'cron' runs as
* Whether cron is, in fact, running at all
* What the valid path(s) is/are for: the webserver, my user, and whatever cron runs as
* How to update the php.ini so it includes the PEAR extensions
* How to search my email, like I used to be able to do
* How to view the members of an email group
* How to set the 'from' address on my email, like I used to be able to do
* How to migrate my (restored) databases to the new MySql5 server without breaking everything

And by the way, when you specifically claim that one of the benefits of the email upgrade is "enhanced search capabilities", you might want to have, you know, enhanced the search capabilities somewhat.
--

Drew
New yups its fixxorzed.
I think it is as I don't get the 2-5 second waits for lookups.
New I think you probably need to also tell PHP to run. :-)
blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com is returning unparsed PHP to me.

Wade.

New Yup. It's dead here too. :-(
A screen full of PHP(?) then a second or so later:

[URL]http://blog.cooklike...om/.append_sid%28

Not Found
The requested URL /.append_sid( was not found on this server.

I hope you get it figured out soon, Drew. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's phpBB, which I don't have installed
They've completely fucked up my DNS records. Primary domain is misconfigured, blog subdomain is somehow returning an app I don't have installed, mx records are all misconfigured. This is total bullshit.

===

Okay, I know what it was showing. When I set the site up 2+ years ago, I tried out a self-hosted blog before deciding on Blogger. That file was left over in a directory I never cleared out. At least it gives me a chance to tell people I'm having problems.

What pisses me off is I can see from my statistics that everything went dark right after I made that "fix" yesterday at 4.

Here's what it looks like now:

http://cooklikeyourg...s/zone-record.png

The two CNAME records in the yellow box are the ones I "fixed" at 4 yesterday. They both had the "Your Host" and the "IP Address/Hostname" values reversed.

The three MX records in the blue box all looked right at 4, but now you can see the "Your Host" field is blank, and the "Priority" field has "cooklikeyourgrandmother.com." "Your Host" should be "webmail" (I think), and "Priority" should be a number.

The CNAME in the red box also looks wrong, because according to a note lower down on the screen:

http://cooklikeyourg...es/aplus/note.png

There's no one there now who can read a zone file and know what it's supposed to look like, and there aren't even any supervisors in who can escalate the ticket. "24 x 7 support" apparently means "as long as nothing is actually wrong."
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Sept. 17, 2009, 02:08:02 AM EDT
New Now nothing seems to work properly for blog...
greg@maxime:~ [0] $ dig blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P1 <<>> blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 16175
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
cooklikeyourgrandmother.com. 3513 IN SOA ns1.aplus.net. hostmaster.aplus.net. 2009091713 7200 3600 3600000 3600

;; Query time: 62 msec
;; SERVER: 208.64.37.170#53(208.64.37.170)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 17 19:18:06 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 110

You need to establish a DNS service for your domain outside these guys. You are losing lots of exposure.
New No kidding
I've told them three times, just let me talk to a sysadmin and we'll have this fixed in two minutes. But their customer "support" policy says I'm not allowed to talk to anyone except the tier 1 people. They'll take the information and forwarded it to the appropriate people.

The last four times I've called, first thing I've done is ask them to read back what the last person forwarded. And all except the last time it's been wrong. And they keep closing it as "resolved" when we make a change, but before we find out if it fixed the problem. The last change clearly broke it.

Their DNS manager app is completely broken, and they won't listen when I tell them I need a sysadmin to manually fix my zone file.
--

Drew
New Generally, long before this much mess . . .
. . I go to the sales department and tell them to get it fixed or I will move elsewhere - with prejudice.
New +5, Informative.
That's a good idea.

Wade.

New One good thing.
If I define this in /etc/hosts:

74.125.93.121 blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

Your Blog comes up.

And the latest post from Sept 17th...

http://blog.cooklike...difficulties.html

Sorry for the technical difficulties

Have I mentioned recently that I hate computers? Yup, sure do. And just in case I was starting to forget that, the last two weeks have reminded me really well.

I don't know when anyone will be able to see this post. I don't know if it will go out via email like it's supposed to. I may be typing this all to myself. [sigh] But just in case you do see it ... I'm still here. I've got plenty of good stuff ready to post. I just can't get my @&%!@#$%^&* site to work.

With any luck, this will be fixed by tonight, and I'll have something up in time for the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

So I do know the Google Side of things isn't fscked up.

Its all about DNS.

I'd offer to host your root/authoritative services, but I think you should establish another Vendor for this purpose. Let me know if you want me to setup the stuff, I can setup a preliminary zone file on my server based on the screenie you posted, but corrected.
New I've setup an account if you really need it.
And also setup a bind9 zone with everything in it.

Let me know if you want access to it.
New Did the same thing with my hosts to check it
And I was planning on calling sales today.
--

Drew
New Tape it. I wanna hear that one.
New On the phone now
They're "trying" to get a customer relations rep on the line.

===

OMG. He's looking at my zone file and knows what he's talking about. This is the guy I've needed to talk to for the past two days. Now let's see if he's allowed to fix it.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Sept. 18, 2009, 02:15:11 PM EDT
     DNS question - (drook) - (17)
         think master slave - (boxley) - (1)
             But the record would have to get *up* there first - (drook)
         I would think so. - (static)
         I think it may be fixed - (drook) - (4)
             yups its fixxorzed. - (folkert)
             I think you probably need to also tell PHP to run. :-) - (static) - (2)
                 Yup. It's dead here too. :-( - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     That's phpBB, which I don't have installed - (drook)
         Now nothing seems to work properly for blog... - (folkert) - (8)
             No kidding - (drook) - (7)
                 Generally, long before this much mess . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     +5, Informative. - (static)
                 One good thing. - (folkert) - (4)
                     I've setup an account if you really need it. - (folkert)
                     Did the same thing with my hosts to check it - (drook) - (2)
                         Tape it. I wanna hear that one. -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                             On the phone now - (drook)

The Readers Digest of All and Everything cha cha.
77 ms