IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First post using DSL on here...
All I can say is WOW.

We just got DSL yesterday, and I can't believe how fast things pages that took forever are loading now.

Guess I've finally moved into the High-Speed category. ;)

Nightowl >8#
Brenda
Alex
New nhl.com baby
New cool!
New Re: First post using DSL on here...
Welcome back! And to celebrate your high speed connection, here's a video you might get a kick out of: "Doctorin' The Tardis" by The Timelords

youtube link: http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=bdTELokKfCk

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New that was great :-)
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New That was wild!
I love the car, but I'm not sure I get the point of video, is the car supposed to be the Tardis whopping the Daleks? or is it just a music video, (set to the music with no point,)?

Yeah, I know, I sound dumb today. My brain is fried from dealing with AT&T for 2 days and trying to comprehend that it's now okay to be on a phone while online (i.e. the connection doesn't tie up a phone), and it's also okay for John to be online at the same time. (His old computer is still on dial-up for now, but he can call that ISP while I'm on here...) Like I said, it's an adjustment, but I do love the way the pages load faster!

And it's easier on my bad hand/arm to not have to hit reload or click something every few minutes to maintain my connection! Especially since I was told yesterday that I have tendonitis in my hand/wrist.

So far I like it, but it's a little overwhelming at first. I think I just need some time to adjust, it's only worked well since yesterday. ;)

Brenda

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Oh, I loved the song!
Sorry I haven't been back in here sooner, I had a setback with my arm, here's an update.

I saw the doctor on the 4th and she said I have tendonitis in my wrist. I started back to physical therapy yesterday and he was not happy with how it looked. he said my entire wrist joint is inflamed. The good news is it can be healed, but the bad news is he does not want me to use my right hand AT ALL right now. ACK! It also has to be wrapped all the time.

So the mouse is back on the left side, and I am typing with my left hand (and letting the fingers of my right press shift and enter now and then. I'm not supposed to write, type, mouse, play piano, lift, or otherwise do anything that will cause my arm to have to turn. I did wrangle using both hands to drive, eat, get dressed/undressed, and basic things like brushing my teeth. And I wrangled writing very limited things (appts, Sleep log for my dr, weight, etc).

Dan said he would trust me not to use it, and see how I am on Friday, but if I don't behave and rest it, he will splint it. ;) So as you can imagine, I'm sitting here going crazy and learning more and more how to type and mouse left-handed...albeit v e r y s l o w l y. At least having DSL now I don't have to do anything every few minutes to stay connected. ;)

As for why it happened, they had told me to start doing things normally again, and I don't think they had a clue what my "normal" was. ;) We also think that what I thought was resting it, i.e. typing a while then reading a paper or two, was not, because of the repetitive page turning aspect. So I can read papers but only if I turn pages with my left hand.

Can you say BORED and FRUSTRATED Owl? I can! ;)

Brenda
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 10, 2009, 12:56:31 PM EDT
New back when DSL was new and unusual...
I used to tell people that making the transition from dialup was best conveyed by cueing up the lunch scene from "When Harry Met Sally." Now, of course, I drum my fingers impatiently when the page takes more than a second or two to load.

cordially,
New Interestingly...
People don't need as much speed as they think they do. :-)

I ran with 256k/64 for a long time because it was affordable and only went up to 512k/128k because the price came down. And because it also made YouTube realtime. :-) But 512k was also the 'sweet point': I never found it too slow. I only upgraded to 1.5M/256k a year ago because the price dropped again. I'm still paying the same as when I first got DSL, but the speed has gone up twelve times and the data cap has gone up ten times. :-O

I recently had a problem with my line and it was only connecting at 768K. Do you think I noticed I wasn't getting my full 1.5M? Nuh. Didn't spot it until I went to the DSL modem's status screen and saw the number. I still reckon a lot of people could be connected at 512k and wouldn't need faster than that for a long time.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New You can take my 50Mbps from my cold, dead hands.
BBC iPlayer would be annoying in the extreme if I had to wait more than 5 minutes to download a 600MB programme.
     First post using DSL on here... - (Nightowl) - (11)
         Woot! - (a6l6e6x)
         nhl.com baby -NT - (boxley)
         cool! -NT - (SpiceWare)
         Re: First post using DSL on here... - (lincoln) - (7)
             that was great :-) -NT - (Bman)
             That was wild! - (Nightowl) - (5)
                 Never having watched the show - (lincoln) - (1)
                     Oh, I loved the song! - (Nightowl)
                 back when DSL was new and unusual... - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Interestingly... - (static) - (1)
                         You can take my 50Mbps from my cold, dead hands. - (pwhysall)

The tide is high...
59 ms