IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I disagree
While the special effects were very well done, I found the plot to be simplistic and the acting pretty lame (not counting young Spock who was supposed to be wooden).

What was up with the pseudo-romance of young Spock and Uhuru? Suddenly they're necking on the transporter pad, but there was no introduction to them starting to have feelings for one another.

Continuity: the ball was dropped again. For instance, How can Spock's mother be alive in the original series and in movie #4 when they kill her here? Also, the bridge of this Enterprise was much more advanced looking than the original series and better than the one in Next Generation. And finally, nowhere did they show how or why young Spock and Kirk would become friends. it was left up to a cameo appearance by Leonard Nemoy as a much older Spock to TELL young Spock that he and Kirk will be lifelong friends. Why didn't young Spock question that statement, based upon their interaction up to that point?

Not to mention the destruction of the planet Vulcan, which gets visited and talked about in every television series. Within a couple of Earth years some 30K surviving Vulcans colonize a new planet and totally rebuild their civilization? I didn't buy it.

It's a good thing I saw it at a matinee, because the $10 prime time ticket price would not have been worth it.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Consistency....
New It depends
on if you are requiring the new to be completely consistent with the old..and I can see that being a frustrating factor...but I was actually hoping for the "pirates of the carribean" treatment...treating the old more like guidelines than hard fast rules....so I wasn't as upset by that.

I agree with the general sentiment re: Spock and Uhura...it wasn't developed enough and the Spock bit is one of those campy parts I mentioned.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Another note
the storyline itself handles some of the inconsistency of old versus new.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Set design: practical considerations
Also, the bridge of this Enterprise was much more advanced looking than the original series

Oh sure, I suppose they could have tried to duplicate the "look and feel" of the original 1966-69 sets, but do you realize how much more you'd have to pay for decent plywood now (I'm not talking about the vile stuff derived from wood-chip slurry that they sell today) than you did forty years ago? And just try finding those old-style Christmas lights for your instrument consoles.

Regarding the "pseudo-romance" that finds Spock and Uhuru necking on the transporter pad ("Did you move off the earth too?") without preliminaries, this does not seem inconsistent with what I've heard of Vulcan spawning practices. There was a famous (perhaps apocryphal? nevertheless, famous) TV Guide description of one episode that ran something like "Overcome by a powerful mating urge, Spock nearly kills Kirk." A little slap-and-tickle in the engineering section seems like pretty small beans by comparison. Do you realize that back when the original series was aired, black-on-extraterrestrial sex was illegal in Virginia and seven other southern states as well as Utah?

notochordially,
New utah too? did not know that
New Re: utah too? did not know that
The blue light indicates that a jest was intended. Live long on phosphors.

cordially,
New wondering about past felony violations of that law in utah
     One word review: Star Trek - (beepster) - (12)
         I disagree - (lincoln) - (7)
             Consistency.... -NT - (jake123)
             It depends - (beepster) - (1)
                 Another note - (beepster)
             Set design: practical considerations - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 utah too? did not know that -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: utah too? did not know that - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         wondering about past felony violations of that law in utah -NT - (boxley)
         Finally got to see it - (jay) - (3)
             one of these days I will have to watch a star trek movie - (boxley)
             Re: Finally got to see it - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 I saw it the other week, too. - (static)

Seriously, for someone who shows some signs of intelligence, the consistency with which you misunderstand anything inconvenient to you is quite amazing.
45 ms