IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Interesting point there
Oops, spinning off into a rant. Point is, the state should have nothing to say about "marriage". Sure, they have an interest in making sure people support their children; that there's an equitable way to assess taxes on people living together; that there's some reasonable definition of "joint property". But none of that requires interaction with a religious ceremony.

Other way around. What happens in the church is a religious ceremony that can be called anything, but it's the legal part that is a marriage.

Either way though, you are right. It's the ugly overlap between the religious and civil that makes marriage a problem.

Jay
New Words count
See "Defense of Marriage" ... "redefinition of marriage" ... etc. People are really hung up on the fact that they are "married" and don't want "those people" to be able to call what they do marriage.

The way I see it, your religion can be whatever you want it to be. Like you said, call your ceremonies whatever you want. But if so many people want to get stuck on the word, to the point that they spend millions of dollars fighting it? Fine, call it something else. "Civil union" seems to have some traction.

You can have a civil union and a marriage. A marriage or a civil union. Either/or, neither/both. Your church can have whatever rules they want about who can do it to/with whom. But the state doesn't get to have anything in the rules about gender, race, religion ... you know, that list they came up with in the 60s.
--

Drew
New bing bing bing!
That's the hang-up. Its all in the word.

If we have silly laws that keep a partner from sitting with his/her significant other because they don't have the right paperwork...then there needs to be a way for them to get the right paperwork.

Its when you equate it to the M word that everyone get's their panties in a bunch. Mind you, I think the caucus somewhat enjoys getting the RR's panties in a bunch.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New I view it differently.
It's not just a battle over a word. The word is more than just short-hand.

It wasn't that long ago that mixed-race marriages were illegal in many parts of the US. While analogies are always imperfect, making an analogy to that from the present situation is instructive, I think.

Why couldn't there have just been a Civil Union for Obama's parents? Traditionally, many people believed that the races shouldn't mix. Why not just call a mixed-race union a Civil Union since so many people were upset about mixed-race marriages?

Why not? Because "equal protection" is a vitally important concept. It must not be subordinated to religious doctrines. We tried "separate but equal" - it doesn't work and it's not good enough.

Many of those who are most vociferous in their opposition to gay marriage are intent upon restricting the rights of others based on a world-view that is ultimately grounded in their religion and in their ignorance and fear of those who are different. Their fear of gay marriage has the same root as their fear of gay teachers or gay soldiers or ...

As the Iowa court pointed out in their ruling in Varnum v Brien - http://www.iowacourt...arnum/07-1499.pdf - , unless there's a compelling state interest for an exception, then the law must apply equally to adults. The child-rearing argument holds no water, as the court pointed out. Neither do the other usual arguments against gay marriage.

Nobody is forcing a church to perform a marriage ceremony for anyone.

Civil Union laws aren't good enough. Gay Marriage needs to be permitted.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You missed the implication of what I said
(Some) people are hung up on the word "marriage". I think for the most part they're hung up on the reality of what that word represents, and if we don't call it that it's like not recognizing China. It's a way of denying reality. So basically, I think they're wrong.

However ... the fact that those people exist is the reality I have to deal with. I could pretend they don't exist and say, "Just call it marriage." But that doesn't seem to be working so well.

So what could we do that achieves equality and pisses off both sides just about equally? (Usually the hallmark of an effective solution.) The state doesn't get to use the word "marriage" for anyone.

Fundamentalists want to say, "You (the state) can't call that a marriage, because my religion says only a man and a woman can get married." Fine. You've just claimed "marriage" as a religious term, not a legal one. Then the state can't call what you have a marriage either.

So gay couples don't get to call themselves "legally married". But neither do straight couples. They all get the same civil union as everybody else. And if they can find a church willing to perform a religious ceremony for them, and they call that a marriage? Then they're married.
--

Drew
New But the horse left the barn and is in the next county.
I've said before that I think that the benefits and responsibilities that we associate with "marriage" should more objectively be associated with "family". My grandfather and his elderly sister lived together (with my uncle) for decades after their spouses died. There was nothing sexual going on, but they were a family as much as any other. Why shouldn't they have been able to file a joint return or claim all of the other benefits of married couples?

Fixing that wouldn't involve abolishing the civil term "marriage", it would involve instead more formally defining "family" and adjusting the legal code as appropriate.

I think "marriage" is a perfectly good term and there's no reason to give it up. Those who have no religion should not have to give up the term, either.

Finally, I think there is less chance of disruption in applying a broader interpretation of "marriage" than in eliminating the term. I don't think that giving in to those who say "no marriage for you!" is a good solution because, as you say, it's not the word that really matters. They would (and they will) find another "tradition" on which to hang their ideology of excluding those who are different.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good idea, but DOA
They'd just do a global search-and-replace on "marriage" and sub in "family". Defense of Family Act, etc.

By changing the debate from "What counts as marriage?" to "Why is the state defining this in the first place?" you can at least (try to) have a better discussion.
--

Drew
New marriage is a religious term not a legal term
the legal history all deals with inheritance and taxes not rights or abilities. With dna testing and civil unions the state gets out of the religion business remember that separation of church and state thingy?. Any one can claim they are married regardless of the state. I remember two guys from my youth that were married, introduced themselves as such. Were respected as such by people that knew them and that was in the late 1960's. They didnt need obama to walk them down the aisle to feel right.
thanx,
bill
New So they were covered on each other's insurance?
They could visit in the hospital? They got the inheritance if someone died suddenly without a will?

Yeah, that's the legal stuff, not the religious. And it's the stuff that the state hasn't (yet) decided to say can happen any other way than marriage.
--

Drew
New actually neither had insurance :-)
they did discuss having wills, and general poa on each other so yes they were covered and it does cover the same things marriage does. A marriage license is similar to a general power of attorney confering many of the same rights and responsibilities
New nope, my marriage was illegal in virginia
when did I ever give a fuck about what was legal?
The law in virginia could have determined that my marriage was a civil union, why would I care?
New I don't think it would really work
If there was a way to make that work, I would be for it.

But for it to work, you would have to convince everybody in the US that the distinction is a good idea and get them to use the correct terminology when they are talking about their relations. Otherwise, it would simply create a wonderful setup for verbal abuse of people who are not really "married".

Jay
New People are lazy, I'm counting on that
When someone today says they're married, do we ask if they said "I do" in a church or a courthouse? Nope. If they say they're married, they're married. Except when a gay couple says it, then the fundies say, "Oh no you're not!" Unless it was in Vermont ... or California, for a while ... or ... is it Idaho now? Can't remember.

But if we "gave" the word to religion, then people could say they're married, and no one can tell them they're not. And people who have a civil union will also say they're married. And since there's no legal definition of the term, no one can say they're not. Similar to "lite mayonnaise". There's no legal definition of "lite" so anyone can use it.
--

Drew
New There would be
But if we "gave" the word to religion, then people could say they're married, and no one can tell them they're not. And people who have a civil union will also say they're married. And since there's no legal definition of the term, no one can say they're not. Similar to "lite mayonnaise". There's no legal definition of "lite" so anyone can use it.

There would be very quickly, or we would be right back where we are now.

Because either the two are legally defined to be entirely separate and that distinction is somehow forced on the public. Or the religious would be right back trying to outlaw civil unions for certain people, because the marriage word is only allowed to be used in certain ways.

To separate the two, you have to change the language. And doing that by government fiat is very hard.

Jay
New I'm not trying to change the language people use
Just the language the government uses. Strike all references to marriage and all its permutations from all laws.

Ooh, here's an idea for an ad campaign:
Can a government bureaucrat define "love"? No. So why do we think they can define "marriage"? Let the government stick to taxes. I'll decide for myself who I love, and who I want to marry.
--

Drew
New can we use a fade away shot
of a guy calling his german shepard? cause if you dont the whack jobs will
New Which isn't enough
My point was that just changing the language of the government isn't enough.

Lets say Dan and Bob decide to get a civil union. Dan refers to it as getting married at work. A fundy coworker sends a complaint to management and Dan gets fired.

Now a suit can't be raised on discrimination, because Dan was't fired for being gay or being in a gay marriage, he was fired for telling a lie at work. And because marriage is a purely religious matter in your system, the state doesn't get a say in deciding what definition of married will be accepted or not.

Jay
New in the real world the fundie gets fired
for insulting Dan's religious beliefs. What a fundie calls marriage is his definition, Dan has his own and they are allowed to be different. Can a muslim be fired for talking about his marriage to his 3rd wife back in pakistan? Dont think so
New actually a real world example link
picture
http://www.firstpeop...-three-wives.html
about half way down the link
http://www.indianz.c...=1377&whichpage=4
One of my favorite stories of Quanah though is that after he surrendered, the Indian agent told him that he had to cut off his hair and that he could only keep one wife. According to the story his wives were standing around giving that good mean woman look when the agent told him this. Quanah said, "I will NOT cut off my hair. As to my wives...you tell THEM that." Quanah kept his hair and his wives.
New What?
telling a lie at work??

You gotta do better than that. There may be a few good examples...this isn't one of them.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New bassackwards
legal part is just that, a contract. Its the religious ceremony that means whatever to the participants. If the religion allows bob to marry rex, then they are married and the rest of the world can get over it
     Mark Morford on the gay heathen hordes freaking out the - (Ashton) - (52)
         Wow...not too reactionary... - (beepster) - (2)
             well look at the bright side :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                 :-) -NT - (beepster)
         Interesting point there - (drook) - (34)
             I have said that for years, the state has no business - (boxley) - (2)
                 Is it? - (drook) - (1)
                     Current law is the name on the birth certificate - (boxley)
             Re: Interesting point there - (jay) - (20)
                 Words count - (drook) - (18)
                     bing bing bing! - (beepster) - (8)
                         I view it differently. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             You missed the implication of what I said - (drook) - (5)
                                 But the horse left the barn and is in the next county. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     Good idea, but DOA - (drook)
                                     marriage is a religious term not a legal term - (boxley) - (2)
                                         So they were covered on each other's insurance? - (drook) - (1)
                                             actually neither had insurance :-) - (boxley)
                             nope, my marriage was illegal in virginia - (boxley)
                     I don't think it would really work - (jay) - (8)
                         People are lazy, I'm counting on that - (drook) - (7)
                             There would be - (jay) - (6)
                                 I'm not trying to change the language people use - (drook) - (5)
                                     can we use a fade away shot - (boxley)
                                     Which isn't enough - (jay) - (3)
                                         in the real world the fundie gets fired - (boxley)
                                         actually a real world example link - (boxley)
                                         What? - (beepster)
                 bassackwards - (boxley)
             Interesting discussion. - (static) - (9)
                 I think that where you stand depends on where you sit. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Yep, I've 'committed marriage' upon 3 sets, so far -- - (Ashton)
                     I had another thought. - (static)
                     thanks for proving my point - (boxley) - (1)
                         My point, too. - (static)
                 Marriage probably predates religion - (jay) - (3)
                     I seriously doubt . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Unanswerable question - (jay) - (1)
                             Ummm . . . paper thin? - (Andrew Grygus)
         So this thread became about who gets to define language... - (CRConrad) - (13)
             1. doesnt matter, - (boxley) - (1)
                 You're missing the point by a mile, as usual. - (CRConrad)
             Define "married" - (drook) - (4)
                 Married=Living in a civil union(religious blessing optional) - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Dammit, you're making a good point - (drook)
                     Well said. Here's an interesting summary. - (Another Scott)
                     Stuart Chase ceased revolving-in-grave upon this utterance - (Ashton)
             Each religion can define it for themselves - (mhuber) - (5)
                 Sure-if they also name it for themselves.'Coz "marriage"... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     FWIW, this Xian agrees with me - (drook) - (3)
                         I'm dealing with this right now - (crazy) - (2)
                             I can picture the joke now - (boxley) - (1)
                                 It writes itself. - (crazy)

My head feels like a frisbee.
102 ms