IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Best science fiction movies
I recently had a booze-soaked conversation about what were some of the best movies to re-watch which soon evolved into an argument over what were the best scifi films. You get to see the results of that here.

There are some classics that will likely never be displaced from the top of my list: 2001: A Space Odyssey is my personal pick for number 1. Rounding out my top-of-the-list favorites are Blade Runner, Alien, The Road Warrior, The Day The Earth Stood Still (original) and Dr. Strangelove.

Now comes the ones that I wanted to put at the top but just couldn't quite convince myself that they belonged there.

The Terminator
The Fifth Element
E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Star Wars
The Matrix
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
Heavy Metal
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The rest of my highly subjective list of "best" scifi films are:

The Illustrated Man
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Fahrenheit 451
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Jurassic Park
The Thing (John Carpenter's version)
Contact
The Time Machine
V for Vendetta
Serenity
The Andromeda Strain
Starman
Silent Running
Metropolis

I can't really include any of the Star Trek films in a "best of" list and only the first of the Star Wars films.

I'd like to include a "worst of" but since that field is so rich let me just say - anything with Wil Smith except maybe/possibly the first MIB.

And then there are two TV series that I have to say really belong at the top but since they're not movies, I'll put them here.
Battlestar Galactica and Firefly (Why didn't I put "Serenity" higher up? Simple. It's not as good as the series.)

New Two disagreements
I'd say MiB was instant classic. Took itself seriously while being funny as hell. Played on so many venerable sci-fi traditions. And Tommy Lee Jones' performance ... Remember when J says to K, "It's better to have loved and lost," and K interrupts with, "Try it." In that one moment you (and J) realize, "Hey, this ain't no joke." When he tells J at the end that he wants to go back, you actually care about him and wish him the best. Several of the movies on your "best" list are great, but I don't know that I ever really cared about the characters that way.

And Serenity I think was was as good as (some of) the series. What I mean is, I don't think you could find a single episode that was stronger, but there were moments spread throughout the series that were. You could argue that they should have been able to make the movie that good throughout, but I think you're just down-rating it in comparison. As a standalone, if you hadn't seen the series, it's great.
--

Drew
New V4V
Utter cop-out ending to the film that is pretty much diametrically opposed to that in the book. Good up to that point, though.

Your lists are pretty good on the whole. The Matrix, though, isn't all that good; I didn't particularly enjoy Jurassic Park (mainly due to Goldblum hamming his way through it).

Also, you missed 2001 and Solaris.
New I really liked "12 Monkeys"
New Honorable mentions
In no particular order:

Dark City - Compelling set design that, for once, is not altogether beholden to Blade Runner.

Gattaca & Code 46 - A pair of thoughtful, low-budget films that explore some possible permutations of the revolution in genomics.

The Fly - Cronenberg's version works both as a straight-up exercise in drenching horror and as a sophisticated meditation on aging, disease, death.

Solaris - Tarkovsky's original 1972 production is haunting provided you can gear yourself down to it, and very Russian in its sensibilities. Soderbergh's version is not to much a remake as a reimagining, and in its own way has some worthy things to say about memory and grief.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Some purists prefer the 1950s original, but for my money Phil Kaufmann's eerie 1978 version is unsurpassed for creepiness and paranoia.

1984 - Shot right there in Airstrip One in spring of 1984, and about the best job of rendering the novel to film that I think could have been done. John Hurt and Richard Burton are fine as the doomed Winston Smith and the imperturbable O'Brien.

Death Watch - Impossible to find on video unfortunately, although it was once available on VHS in mutilated form. Harvey Keitel is a journalist whose eyes have been replaced by undetectable electronic prosthetics. He is assigned to follow and record the last days of unsuspecting Romy Schneider, a woman dying of a rare incurable disease in a world from which premature death has been largely banished.

The Lathe of Heaven - This would be the 1979 version, not the contemptible travesty released under the same name in 2002. Psychiatrist on county payroll realizes that delusional patient who claims he can alter reality isn't delusional after all. Psychiatrist has strong ideas about how reality might be improved. A thinking person's sci-fi done on a budget that you or I could raise by turning out our sofa cushions. Can be seen as a critique of Great Society liberalism or merely as an acting out of the law of unintended consequences.

Zardoz - In the so-bad-it's-good category, I can think of no other science fiction flick that soars to such stratospheric levels of unintended hilarity. John Boorman has magically created the kind of bad movie that you'd ordinarily have to apply to Ken Russell to make. Of course, Charlotte Rampling scampering around nekkid on and off does nothing to detract from this production's quirky charms.

cordially,

New Oh dear.
We appear to have no Alien.

I'll fix this: "Alien". Consummately imagined: a film of betrayal, claustrophobia and being afraid of the dark.

Oh, and Burton in 1984? His finest role. And his last, if I'm not mistaken.

Does Tarkovsky's Stalker count as sci-fi?
New Alien and 2001 are on my list. 2nd sentance.
I didn't really enjoy Solaris that much. Well-filmed, well-acted and all, it just didn't grab me. Re-watchable was my touchstone and this is one I had no interest in seeing again. YMMV.

And I had honestly forgotten about 1984. You're right, it does belong on the list.
New no toxic avenger?
New Class of Nuke'em High
C.H.U.D.

It's awesome when the monsters get beheaded and squirt green blood.
New There's really nothing I have to add.
Everything I might want to mention has been mentioned. :-)

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New Concur re Star Trek films
but as an aside, there was a TV episode with Picard and an alien Commander marooned together on some nearby piece of real estate, towards the end of an altercation. It was, IMhO one of the best ever intros to ... thinking seriously about 'metaphor', but especially: trying to imagine a Language which operated solely upon 'stories'/metaphors ! As much as the tale, I thought the choreography was first-rate too. For a long while, I even recalled some of the dialogue, as it seemed a vast accomplishment in its self-consistency; as such: it also Taught {something..}

Pity we can't collect refs to the occasional Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond moments, the macabre An Incident at Owl Creek Bridge and yes, even early ST: snatches of which can bear the passage of time (better than most-all of the ez-cgi too-'real'ism.)

I hope that all those, and on back to Omnibus (even by kinescope) shall somehow stay preserved until the time when web-implants are inserted with the Silver Nitrate eye-drops for newborns, along with the inevitable ad-links [which you can save huge sums of kopeks: to disable; there Has to be an opt-out scam.]

Oh well..

New This one Ashton?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708696/

Its one of the better shows from the series.
New If it was...
... it was definitely one of their more original stories. Star Trek is not noted for that. I think someone had to be dreaming something way out to play with the idea of their Universal Translator just not working. :-)

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New !Precisamente!
How'd you ferret that one out!? Just might buy that, unless it's part of some humongous set.

As one poster opines, gritfrombray-1 from Ireland --

My metaphoric summary is to highlight just how absolutely incredible this episode actually is. The late Paul Winfield was truly amazing in this and the script was one of the best I've ever seen written for a television show. The crew's anxiety over the Captain's safety was well done, but the credit here goes to the two leads. Dathon's exasperation at Picard's lack of understanding was so well acted out. When Picard finally catches on, and later begins to tell Dathon a story in a limited fashion, was very touchingly written. Picard's communication with the Tamarian ship was heart rending and left the viewer with a heavy heart. A definite highlight, not just of season five, but of the entire Star Trek universe as a whole.

Second his (bolded) remark.
His details now remind of the way the interactions were telegraphed to the respective ships (crews) and the emotional responses so well portrayed .. and by then, felt. Metaphorically speaking ... think ~~ Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady: By Jove, I think she's Got It!!

Now I can almost recall a recurrent phrase which Picard 'gets', in his metaphor-speak to both ships

<probably 'Darmok'> .... when the walls fell.

The poster has it right: it was several heartrending moments, abetted by the mentioned superb acting of the 2-crews/extras, in response. And 'we' the audience had to stretch concepts ... just as the protagonists were doing: Picard's fledgling efforts were merely 'close' to (Something!) so his words were still.. alien to our normal [referents - That one, Again]

Mainly -- what Was succesfully communicated beyond-words, I'd say -- was purest empathy (as, also: cannot ever be parsed into mere logical terms.)

My view was/is ... that for some several seconds of that 'dialogue', its author had attained the exalted scale of The Bard. And this episode was his immortal Soliloquy.. yet not ever capable of being 'quoted', y'know?

Guess that was Joe Menosky
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0579775/

among his others: I, Borg and titles that ring no bells here, though I might have seen the plots.
No matter: those were not This plot.

Love imdb -- it's what a 'db' OUGHT to be and so often Isn't.

Thanks for the fine sleuthing.
Hah "TNG episode about metaphors" gets 8200+ hits and Wikipedia yada.
Seems I have a few thousand cohorts out there.. {sniff}
Not surprised, really. There IS intelligent life on this planet ... just, usually it's drowned out by the yahoo minorities of bloody-minded psychotic SHOUTERS.

Ed:

{sigh} Whole 5th Series for $54 or a VHS of #102: Darmok for "from $37+3 and ^^"
http://tinyurl.com/dgtztl

Guess I'll wait for a cheaper VHS or, eventually, spring for the Series. Nice to know it's Out There.
Need a reverse-eBay: IWantThis.com
(only not THAT Corporate eBay '09 thankyouverymuch $Whiting$, you greedy reactionary Ayn Trump.)

Expand Edited by Ashton March 30, 2009, 05:58:35 AM EDT
     Best science fiction movies - (Silverlock) - (13)
         Two disagreements - (drook)
         V4V - (pwhysall)
         I really liked "12 Monkeys" -NT - (Another Scott)
         Honorable mentions - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Oh dear. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Alien and 2001 are on my list. 2nd sentance. - (Silverlock)
         no toxic avenger? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Class of Nuke'em High - (jake123)
         There's really nothing I have to add. - (static)
         Concur re Star Trek films - (Ashton) - (3)
             This one Ashton? - (folkert) - (2)
                 If it was... - (static)
                 !Precisamente! - (Ashton)

Resistance is useless. You will assimilate us.
67 ms