IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Err... just cars? That would cut my list in half....
85 Honda Magna V65 (used), still going strong.
94 Mustang GT (new), takes care of the summer duties the bike can't.
95 Kawasaki ZX11 (used), only had it for a couple of years. Made it pretty obvious that "heft" and "sport" do not mix well in bikes.
99 Yamaha R6 (new), perfect right out of the crate. Track use only these days.
02 Ducati 748S (new). With the Termignoni carbon fiber cans, of course. Drool... The sound alone... As much fun on a track as the R6. Unfortunately had to let it go when I moved :-(
06 Toyota Tacoma (new). Mrs. Sven's, but my name is on title, so its on the list. The 2.7L is underpowered as mapped (the 08 has the same powertrain yet feels more powerful.)
08 Subaru Impreza WRX (new), the winter car. Our driveway mandates 4/all-wheel drive, and I wasn't about to get a UAV. Nice and tight daily driver. Great in the snow.
New Know whatcha mean --
First.. Freedom! machine:
Whizzer motor-bicycle.. wanted to ride it from San Diego up to Palomar; luckily-Not -- with one bicycle-brake on rear wheel, the descent would have preempted any entries here. No licence.. managed to run it around S. Diego for many months, finally crunching it into a car; fixed - sold to a sailor.

Doodlebug/ with no brakes; stopped via shoes. Kindly Pasadena cop suggested.. don't let me see you again.

Lambretta LD-125 - the svelte enclosed-model Scooter, contemporary to Audrey's Vespa ride. Was stopped on Market St. SF, a couple days before heading back to school/South: guy on a mint Matchless 500 cc twin wanted to trade (!) Did..

Year later, Matchless traded in on first Vincent Black Shadow; tiny Italian engineer bought a new one ~ every couple years. Lucky moi, few miles, broken-in fanatically-well. One $1 failure of a small spring for the gear-shifter ratchet/pawl. Not merely a 'classic' - it Worked. As did the 4 brake-drums (for its day.) Speedo "geared to twistgrip" aka Torque where/when you needed it.

More Vincents, incl. a 500cc Comet = Just like the V-twin but with no rear cylinder.
Mint Shadows now approach $100K on the yuppie circuit.

Morris Minor side-valve 803 cc (??) Gutless, bulletproof; a Vincent traded {sob} because, while ya can get girls on a bike, you ca ..never mind.

'42 Buick --> '51 Studebaker Starlight coupe, predecessor of Loewy's boffo redesign.

Norton 99, 600 cc version of famous 88, then new 650cc 'Manxman' (a vibrating pig. Error.) BSA A6(?) 650cc twin - good all-round ride. Akin to the tricked out boy-racer one lent me on the Isle of Man - 'featherbed frame' handling was no myth, Many adventures on the 'Sunday Morning Ride' (a local Legend, also across the cycle press of yore.)

New '60 bug-eye Austin-Healy Sprite, picked up in London via old Vincent 'parts stockist' friend, who also dealt Austin. Grand Tour of the Continent with stops at Dachau [just. because.] and the usual assortment of exotic places, including the Grossglockner Pass at night, in a drizzle - but with Michelin-Xs to ease the odds.

Sold ~ year later.. Brief foray with a ~56? Studebaker interim ride till first Citroën needed to be tried.

Briefly a tarted-up (Over-restored) Norton International, classic 500cc OHC-single.. made the Manxman seem smooth. Sold to collector {whew.} Honda 305cc OHC twin -- cute, also too much vibration: first of their march into larger territory.

Suzuki X-6 2 stroke; amazing power, but not lovely to anyone used to Vincent-torque. Yamaha DT-1 for a brief foray into The Dirt. Fun, instructional but not mesmerizing.

First (mass-produced) '69 Honda 750-4. Smooth as butter but Too Heavy, especially around town; traded-down to the new 500-4 ... no torque again, but smooth and light-enough to handle ~OK. With two female friends (on own bikes) went pass-storming in Sierra: Ebbetts, Carson, Lake Alpine ... sublime with occasional camp-out then some Inn, for a clean-up, dinner and decent beds.

Citroëns -- 5 'DS's, from a '57 ~junker to vet the design; a '61 so-so, a new '64 DS-M bought here, a '68 picked up in Paris. A fine compromise enabled by the capability of having soft spring-rates, yet with excellent damper control (as the fluid passing in/out of the dash-pot Nitrogen-filled spheres was 'damped' by a series of thin discs == you could easily tailor for best handling.) An engineer's car but also loved across the spectrum. UmMurican too -- part of its local charm.

Saabs -- 5. First (New Model '69) picked up in Malmö, Sweden.
One near-new, totalled head-on on San Pablo Ave by drunk in a VW; another one run into an earthen bank in Mexico by new-driver grilf.. who, at least turned the Right-direction in an oncoming near-pass on a narrow road. Last, a '77 bought new - given to friend at car-age 25; went on for 3 more years til a ham-fisted friend of hers broke the ign. key mechanism; local repair too pricey. Utterly reliable, decent handling -- never a scratch on it, though the Eldorado Brown paint had long-since faded-->unlovely.

The 550cc Kawasaki DOHC-4, tricked out with Grimeka brake and floating cast-iron disc super-stopper ... now mainly sits in garage, as I deign to embark on any marketing hassle, and local roads are inhabited by cluless Tourists-with-cels.

'94 Acura Vigor remains pristine; is no appropriate ride for Depression Era denouements.. but can still manage 28+ mpg on road with no thrashing. 'Tis a Japanese vision of a well-made Jag (said to be Designer's inspiration; much as the original Citroën was, "inspired by a waterfowl..") -- IMhO it succeeds in that aim. It Handles as Well as such a long-wb car could be expected to; my first ride with modrin air-bags, ABS / don't need no fancy-shmancy 'stability controls' unless you're totally inept or regularly fail to Pay Attention.

Futchah? (if there is one)
Will likely settle on ~~ a restoreable HX-Honda of the 45+ mpg variety, whenever I stumble into one not totally trashed by racer-kiddies. "Gallons/year" is the appropriate metric for those not needing to commute; anything >45 mpg implies a high premium for cutesy techno and expensive batteries + the remaining parts at High-$-markup.

OK, that's most of them...
     Entertaining thread at TTAC - (Another Scott) - (24)
         I'm not going to reply there... - (static) - (17)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (pwhysall)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (Andrew Grygus)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (malraux) - (3)
                 You do realise... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     ...but compared to most US cars...(gd&r) :) -NT - (Meerkat)
                     Re: You do realise... - (malraux)
             Copied and pasted from TTAC... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Car stories... - (static)
                 Interesting... - (malraux) - (1)
                     Pretty. - (Another Scott)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (mvitale)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                 I'm glad you replied. :) - (static)
                 Mazda -- - (Ashton)
             What car? - (jake123)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (Steve Lowe)
             Re: I'm not going to reply there... - (Silverlock)
         Let's see what I can remember - (jbrabeck)
         Okay the top of this list is: 1976 Pinto. - (folkert) - (2)
             I see why you're a Mondello fan now. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: I see why you're a Mondello fan now. ;-) - (folkert)
         Err... just cars? That would cut my list in half.... - (scoenye) - (1)
             Know whatcha mean -- - (Ashton)

Peanut butter is "dinner" as long as you put it on a plate.
62 ms