IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is something screwed up with gnome on unstable today?
My machine updated and it took out gnome... now, I can't install it because of unmet dependencies... like the fact that if I try to install the gnome package:

apt-get install gnome

a lot of basic dependencies don't get automagically installed to back it up, like, for example, gnome-desktop-environment and its sub-dependencies....
New Remember Lenny got released Saturday.
Which means...

I've got 192 uploads to unstable since Sunday when the freeze was lifted. This machine being my lapper. On my desktop ... 338 updates... which means many thing will be broken on it.

You shouldna updated today... or even for the next week unless you are willing to use other desktops in the time being. Every release since Sarge have broken GNOME hugely in Sid for at least a week typically more.

Unstable always breaks under the gush of uploads after a release, its not just GNOME being broken today, looks like XFCE has a partial update to 4.6 going, LXER has some updates to the newer implementation and parts of KDE are borked as well.
New Well, that would explain it
So, guess I have to hope that the box stays up with it's sort of halfway installed version of gnome in it... if this box has to reboot before it's all fixed up it's going to go down like a mofo....
New When doing things right after a thaw...
make sure you do this first:

apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade

Just to find out how many packages are held. A regular upgrade won't "uninstall" things. Where as this:

apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Will take you head long into problems if they exist.

Personally, I do the "upgrade" until everything upgrades properly (as in all the gnome packages go in or the huge set of OpenOffice packages go in and then I look at the dist-upgrade to make sure nothing is gonna get removed I want.
New Righty-o
It's a little bit unfortunate that it's like this, but it IS unstable after all... it's all been fixed up now so everything's under control... or at least mostly under control ;)

Thanks!
New That points to a potential problem in the freeze process.
Maybe they should do a progressive un-freeze for a month or so in order to control this a bit more.

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New Major updates are like this...
Yes it'd be nice... but when major (minor revisions for some projects) revisions come about there isn't an easy way.

A gradual unthawing would have the same effect, Sid deps would all fall in when the last one was met and even more (worse by order of magnitude) major breakage would occur.

Its sort of like that first major rain after a huge snowfall accumulation. Watch out baby here it comes.
     Is something screwed up with gnome on unstable today? - (jake123) - (6)
         Remember Lenny got released Saturday. - (folkert) - (5)
             Well, that would explain it - (jake123) - (2)
                 When doing things right after a thaw... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Righty-o - (jake123)
             That points to a potential problem in the freeze process. - (static) - (1)
                 Major updates are like this... - (folkert)

Well, yes and no.
122 ms