IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay, I'm enlightening myself a little...
and no, I'm not smoking anything... I guess most folks may agree that this particular human being probably doesn't belong with the rest of the herd. The separation apparatus is the bone of contention. I have never suffered from the "sanctity of life" dilemna either in the womb or any point before the tomb. I see that the State sends its "children" to places like Vietnam, Korea, etc... so I don't feel that it's so inconsistent for me to not even want to pay her medical bills or for her "lifetime housing" with my tax dollars (from a purely pragmatic standpoint). I would much rather spend my tax money on reforming people that have a chance to "get out of prison", such as druggies, rapists and all. I think that we could probably pay for college educations for about 10 current inmates that will be getting out for the price of one "lifer" with no chance of parole. I can't help but think this scenario would be of the greater good for society...

Now, for some real consistency, I also believe that it is better to let ten guilty people walk than for one innocent one to serve life or die for a crime they didn't commit. Because of this, I don't think the death penalty should be willy nilly applied. In a clear cut case like this...

Who says that it is uncivilized to thin the herd every once in a while? (Other than you and few million other oddballs?) :-)
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I think we out to bring back crucifixion. Upside down crucifixion"

G. Carlin

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New As currently practised, the figures don't hold up
Here in Ohio, they recently put to death a person who had killed a convenience store clerk and had knocked over a couple other stores that night.

In 1983. This guy was on Death Row for almost twenty years, with appeal after appeal after appeal after appeal. And after seventeen years of that, the defense "discovered" new evidence and they went through a couple more rounds of appeals, with various stays and rulings by judges.

That's not cost-effective at all. You'd spend far less to lock him up for the rest of his life than to keep going through this sort of appeals process. Certainly you don't go through anything like this for life sentences..
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New So.. the system (any system created by homo-sap) is
guaranteed imperfect: at every stage of the process from arrest to final disposition. That's another dozen threads. But another argument for Not offing anyone - especially since we discovered DNA and.. lots of prisoners haven't (yet) gotten to have that litmus test du jour. At present rate - expect many of those to die without it.

[edit] - prolly more a reply to Dan

But never mind the imperfection of the 'guilt finding' process. Assume guilt's a fact in some case. As Mike Huber observed somewhere around here, the decision Not to Kill is *NOT* about the perp! It's about 'us'; what we imagine we stand-for (as they say) or wish - we might next stand a bit higher-for (?).

And the lowest motivation for assigning punishment: must be, to assuage bloodlust. If we ever want to try for growing out of adolescence, that is - as a culture, as a species.

Maybe 'we' don't (want to try). But I'd like to see us try. Other countries have decided to try. Are we lesser? Or just more Righteous.. and they're a bunch of wimps?
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Feb. 26, 2002, 06:23:00 PM EST
     More Tom Tomorrow. - (Brandioch) - (33)
         "It's beginning to look a lot like - (Ashton) - (32)
             Got the same stuff going on today... - (inthane-chan) - (31)
                 I tend to suppose this sort of vengefulness - (Ashton) - (12)
                     See: Estados Unidos... - (inthane-chan) - (11)
                         I didn't realize that about Mexican law, - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Don't knock the movement... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Wasn't recommending them as a model ;-) - (Ashton)
                         As for the woman in texas - (boxley) - (6)
                             Think yer right on that earlier one, Box - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 strange as that other crowd, killem in the womb - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Won't fly.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         we dont already do that ? (last line) -NT - (boxley)
                                         Sage LRPD sez: Non-migratory, just like cocopabanana blaps. -NT - (Ashton)
                             Matches the attitudes of the "Letters To The Editors" - (bconnors)
                         Re: no death penalty - (Silverlock)
                 What should happen to her? - (screamer) - (17)
                     Lock her up and throw away the key - (wharris2) - (1)
                         I'm affraid I don't necessarily follow this logic... - (screamer)
                     Life without parole works in civilized countries. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         Unfortunately, until recently that wasn't an option - (wharris2)
                         Okay, I'm enlightening myself a little... - (screamer) - (2)
                             As currently practised, the figures don't hold up - (wharris2) - (1)
                                 So.. the system (any system created by homo-sap) is - (Ashton)
                     if she fries she shouldnt fry alone - (boxley) - (1)
                         Very good points... - (screamer)
                     It isn't about her. - (mhuber) - (7)
                         Okay, I'm following a little more now... - (screamer) - (6)
                             Close, but... - (mhuber) - (5)
                                 Yes, the fact there are snuff films - shows where the - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Cecil says "snuff films" are an urban legend. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         'Simulated' will do: not much Isn't 'simulated' elsewhere.. -NT - (Ashton)
                                         snuff films are real if defined by movies depicting - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Definintion of "snuff" AFAIK... - (inthane-chan)

Void where prohibited.
68 ms