IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One more quote for Scott...
I'm staying out of this one for now but... terms are important and as Russell was used to justify an atheist position:

As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think that I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because, when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

\ufffd Bertrand Russell, Collected Papers, vol. 11, p. 91

Natch for me...
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Russell wrote a *lot* about religion.
Part of the problem with the discussion of Agnosticism versus Atheism is that the terms morph over time, as Matthew illustrated below. (It becomes easier if one considers the roots of the words: [link|http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=CBN&defl=en&q=define:Gnosis&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title|Gnosis] and [link|http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=yV2&q=define%3Atheism&btnG=Search|Theism], but meanings change over time.)

In Seckel's collection, [link|http://www.amazon.com/Bertrand-Russell-Religion-Great-Philosophy/dp/0879753234/|Bertrand Russell on God and Religion], Chapter 4 is a reprint of an interview in Look from 1953:

Are agnostics atheists?

No. An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God: the atheist, that we can know there is not*. The agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial. At the same time, an agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable; he may even hold that it is so improbable that it is not worth considering in practice. In that case, he is not far removed from atheism. His attitude may be that which a careful philosopher would have toward the gods of ancient Greece. If I were asked to prove that Zeus and Poseidon and Hera and the rest of the Olympians do not exist, I should be at a loss to find conclusive arguments. An agnostic may think that the Christian God as improbable as the Olympians; in that case, he is, for practical purposes, at one with the atheists.

IOW, Bertie was generally very careful in expressing his opinions, but for all practical purposes he was an Atheist, especially considering his hostility to Christianity (which is the most-commonly used contrast to Atheism, at least in the West).

Cheers,
Scott.
* Many freethinkers do not accept this definition. For them atheism means without theism or without a belief in god or gods - Ed.
New Understood
and thanks... I put a link in above (post to Pete) to point to Russell's Teapot ([link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot|http://en.wikipedia..../Russell's_teapot]). I do like Dawkin's summary at the bottom as a primer for why so many folks do not want view organized religion as just another shelf in the market of ideas. Given its history, it would be folly not to be extremely skeptical about other's motivations when getting into the "my God's bigger than your God" types of debates. It has been a few generations since the holocaust, however; and to many who casually look at the "be-attitudes" without the historical tyranny of the Crusades and the Dark Ages, find it just another plausible explanation. When I defend "a person's" right to be left alone with their quest for connectedness, I guess that I sort of assume that the person understands the skeletons in their deist's closets. This is probably a naive assumption on my part. In the historical context of Russell's time, he probably still was taking a huge risk by taking a position against societal norms. If I am to believe that 90% of Americans "believe in God" (which I don't - I understand that we could probably shave about 20-30% off that number depending on how the surveys are phrased), then this board and our posts would label us as "traitors" and lost sheep. We can only hope that during the next inquisition that the mob has read the parables...

;-)
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New Thanks. :-) Don't let months pass between posts, ya hear?
Beating up on only beep gets boring after a while.

[image|http://www.sondrak.com/archive/hhg.jpg|0|HHG|171|241]

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Aug. 28, 2007, 11:58:23 AM EDT
New On religious surveys...
Danno writes:

If I am to believe that 90% of Americans "believe in God" (which I don't - I understand that we could probably shave about 20-30% off that number depending on how the surveys are phrased)...

It's difficult to do a meaningful social survey. You have to do it in a way that accounts for socio-economic differences (telephone v.s personal interview; time of day; what to do about people who don't want to participate?; etc.). The [link|http://www.norc.org/homepage.htm|National Opinion Research Center] is very good in doing meaningful surveys (e.g. if they pick you for a respondent, they'll work very hard to get you to answer their questions). They're best known for the [link|http://www.norc.org/projects/General+Social+Survey.htm|General Social Survey].

In a 2004 [link|http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/040819/protestants.shtml|story]:

The increasing secularization of American society has taken a particular toll on Protestant identity, presenting the prospect that after more than 200 years of history, the United States may soon no longer be a majority Protestant country, according to a new study by the National Opinion Research Center.

The percentage of the population that is Protestant has been falling and will likely fall below 50 percent by mid-decade or may already be there, the study showed.

Between 1972 and 1993, the Protestant share of the population remained stable, but then a decline set in. In 1993, 63 percent of Americans were Protestant, but by 2002, the number was 52 percent, the NORC research found. During the same time, the number of people who said they had no religion went up from 9 percent to nearly 14 percent. The survey listed people as Protestant if they indicated they were members of a particular Protestant denomination, such as Baptist, United Methodist or Episcopalian. Membership in many of the Protestant denominations has been declining.

[...]

Some results of the 2006 GSS are discussed by Kim at [link|http://atbozzo.blogspot.com/2007/06/science-and-religion-2006-gss.html|Tom Bozzo] and other blogs linked there. Some of the graphs are disturbing, to say the least, if you are worried about the state of basic scientific knowledge in the US. While professed religion doesn't correlate strongly with wrong answers to many questions, it does to others and the amount of education doesn't seem to matter in changing the percent correct in those cases. As a commenter on Pharyngula [link|http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/06/lies_your_religion_told_you.php|notes]:

With a little college education, a Catholic becomes about as smart as your average unbeliever.

;-)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the answers to the questions can be contradictory:

[link|http://publicdata.norc.org:41000/gssbeta/GSSVariables_subject.html|General Social Survey (Beta)]:

Variable GODRIGHT : GOD'S LAWS SHOULD DECIDE RIGHT AND WRONG\nPreQuestion Text\nHow successful do you think the government in America is nowadays in each of the following areas?\n\nLiteral Question\nA. Right and wrong should be based on God's laws.\n\nValues \tCategories \t                 N \tNW\n1 \tSTRONGLY AGREE \t                358 \t365\t 28.8%\n2 \tAGREE \t                        361 \t359 \t 28.3%\n3 \tNEITHER AGREE NOR DISAGREE \t269 \t277\t 21.8%\n4 \tDISAGREE \t                155 \t158\t 12.5%\n5 \tSTRONGLY DISAGREE \t        115 \t109\t  8.5%\n0 \tNAP \t49661 \t49660\n8 \tDK \t60 \t55\n9 \tNA \t41 \t38\nSummary Statistics\nValid cases \t1258\nMissing cases \t49762\nThis variable is numeric

So 57.1% Agree that Right and Wrong should be based on God's Laws (whatever they are).

Variable SOCRIGHT : SOCIETY'S LAWS SHOULD DECIDE RIGHT AND WRONG\nPreQuestion Text\nHow successful do you think the government in America is nowadays in each of the following areas?\n\nLiteral Question\nB. Right and wrong should be decided by society.\n\nValues \tCategories               \t N \tNW\n1 \tSTRONGLY AGREE \t                113 \t109 \t 8.8%\n2 \tAGREE                    \t418 \t424 \t34.6%\n3 \tNEITHER AGREE NOR DISAGREE \t309 \t309 \t25.1%\n4 \tDISAGREE \t                241 \t238 \t19.4%\n5 \tSTRONGLY DISAGREE       \t142 \t150 \t12.1%\n0 \tNAP \t49661 \t49660\n8 \tDK \t59 \t58\n9 \tNA \t77 \t72\nSummary Statistics\nValid cases \t1223\nMissing cases \t49797\nThis variable is numeric

But only 31.5% disagree when asked whether right and wrong should be decided by society.

As you note, the answers depend on how the questions are asked. ;-)

The GSS does have ~ 88% Agreement on a question asking about belief in God (Variable GODCHNGE), but the percentages are lower if you look at the questions in more detail (e.g., (Variable THEISM - which asks if God is concerned about every human being personally. Only 74% agree.).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Just a thought about labels
If we are going by those definitions, then you can call me those. I can't prove anything either. The difference is that I believe, have faith, in the power of the universe: which I choose to call God.
Smile,
Amy
New I happen to agree
Mrs. Animal/Critter (Happy Anniversary!), :-)
At various points in my life I have been labeled a Presbyterian, a Protestant, and a lot of other secular "things". Both of my children were baptized as Roman Catholics (it means much more to my wife than me). I have my own connection with God (yes, I do believe in God as a notion or an ideal. But just like in the quote by Russell, I have always been very guarded in how I respond in a philosophical debate versus to a common interaction. What I mean is that if a stranger asks me, "are you a Christian?" I will answer no, that I am agnostic. Perhaps it is lazy on my part, but I don't wish to explain in painful detail how I believe in a kind and loving god, etc. etc. etc. I basically assume I am speaking to a fundamentalist and do not bother mentioning notions or distinctions about Gehenna, the dinosaurs on Noah's Ark or other nuances that I believe have been misinterpreted/abused for centuries. So, in my own brand of Christianity, there is no literal Hell and room for dinosaurs and billions of years in between.

I am still stuck with the Golden Rule and the Kantian moral imperative to act appropriately, but I do not fear a "beast". And I could go on and on. To wit, I believe that God does "whatever it takes" to reveal himself in a way people can understand and in this narrow rubric, it is possible to me that he inspired most of the major religions - or not. I'm not really sure. And life is too short to debate this stuff over and over as I am fairly confident that there is no truly "enlightened one" but we are all enlightened as God is part of everyone and everything. And those, I come back to notion that "I do not know". This is one iteration.

On another iteration, I might start with the premise that it is impossible for there to be a supreme anything in an infinite universe. It is painfully obvious that Darwin, the Geological record, et al are absolutely correct and that religion/mythology is just a construct of men to rule with the ultimate "eye in the sky" (notice that even Santa sees you when you're sleeping?) to control our primal actions when others aren't present. And I wonder where the kind and loving God was during the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, etc. And I absolutely believe there is no possible way for God to exists - or not. Then I loop back.

And on and on. And I surmise that most people cherry pick aspects of religion they choose to accept and as you say, by an agnostic definition, you may well be agnostic too. In my case, I feel it is intellectual honesty to admit my doubts to those who care to listen. At the same time, I no longer spend much thought on trying to find the "right" answer as I believe there isn't one to be found, not in Aquinos, Locke, Dante, Augustine, Darwin, Marx, Vonnegut - or, maybe there is. Loop. And so on.

As such, I look now for connectedness with my fellow human beings (and animals too) and use my power of language to compare notes, gain insights, etc. We are biologically wired to be social and I try to make connections with people and try to lead a decent life and make others around me happy. In many regards, I lead a Christian life and am proud of it. Jesus was a non-violent revolutionary and a model for all the others that followed. One can do a lot worse than adopt his philosophies - or not.

And, I believe that I share your feelings about feeling connected with "a power in the universe", which I also choose to call God. At the end of the day, I couldn't care less what others label me.

:-)
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
Expand Edited by danreck Aug. 28, 2007, 10:57:57 PM EDT
     Just saying it isn't doesn't make it not. - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
         I think you're using too broad a brush. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             'There is no evidence for such a deity' - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 You keep saying "it must be a religion" - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     And you keep say'n my concept of God . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Re: And you keep say'n my concept of God . . . - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             herding drunks down the hiway is scientific? - (boxley)
                     Hey Pete! - (danreck)
         There is a shocking under-use of the correct label, - (Ashton) - (9)
             One more quote for Scott... - (danreck) - (6)
                 Russell wrote a *lot* about religion. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Understood - (danreck) - (2)
                         Thanks. :-) Don't let months pass between posts, ya hear? - (Another Scott)
                         On religious surveys... - (Another Scott)
                 Just a thought about labels - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     I happen to agree - (danreck)
             Agnostic is often a copout and/or as irrational as Atheism - (JayMehaffey)
             How about ... - (mmoffitt)
         Please don't rehash Pascal's Wager - (warmachine) - (4)
             Perhaps you would be more comfortable with . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Strong atheists - (crazy) - (2)
                 sturdy more than strong, nick was a strong before he convert -NT - (boxley)
                 Funny, - (imric)

Huh? Doesn't even rhyme!
66 ms