IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Please don't rehash Pascal's Wager
I thought Pascal's Wager was thrown out a long time ago. Apart from the problems of which religion, lack of total commitment to the belief and dodgy uses of infinity to break the maths, it assumes that a supernatural being wants to spend eternity with a bunch of sheep. Those that simply believe, rather than believe based on the balance of evidence.

If the biblical god exists, I envisage a scenario like this.
God: "I see the Athenians have created a system of government called democracy. It seems more equitable than other systems. How does someone choose a representative?"

Faithful: "Only God may judge men."

G: "Umm.. okay. I noticed the use of public statues. At first, I thought it was idolatory but they can inspire virtue and good deeds."

F: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

G: "Thanks for that. The Bible has been a roaring success and a brilliant guide. Mankind is now ready for a follow up. I'd love to hear your ideas!"

F: "You are the source of knowledge and wisdom. If it is your will, then it will be so."

G: "They're all ****ing sheep! What was I thinking? That's it, no more divine inspiration! I'm erasing all evidence that I exist. Anybody who believes in my existence based on no evidence is clearly an idiot and gets wiped. Hopefully, I might be left with someone with a brain!"

I'd say that if a supernatural being exists with an eternal afterlife, theism would exist as a trap.

Also, where did this come from?
You've probably been ridiculing people who chose to believe differently - so you've probably offended a whole lot of people. This is not very social.

Few people even talk about religion, or at least in my country. I'm an atheist and no one cares, let alone be offended. If atheists want social opportunities, there are plenty of gatherings besides churches and you don't have to read a ludicrous book.

You seem to be under the impression that atheists are fanatics. Never met a fanatic atheist myself but I think we need to import some definitions from elsewhere.

Strong atheist
Asserts that there can be no gods or supernatural forces.

Weak atheist
Concludes there are no gods or supernatural forces due to insufficient evidence.

Agnostic
Claims knowing the existence of gods or supernatural forces is unknowable.

I come under weak atheist but I regard it as an annoying term as it suggests a lack of intellectual vigour. I haven't seen any strong atheists on this board either.

So there you have it, atheists have the same social life as anybody else but don't have to employ doublethink about a book with daft stories and out-of-date morality. And if they're wrong, can explore the afterlife with an open mind.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New Perhaps you would be more comfortable with . . .
. . Hard Atheist and Soft Atheist - at least it doesn't imply you are weak.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Strong atheists
> I haven't seen any strong atheists on this board either.

Sure you have: btilly.

Read a bit of his postings in this forum.
New sturdy more than strong, nick was a strong before he convert
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Funny,
in the argument I had re: omnipotence vs. omniscience (not w/btilly), he seemed quite aware that you couldn't PROVE the non-existence of an omnipotent creator god from within the creation... Not saying he believed in a creator god, y'understand, but he understood the logic - and I believe he understood that the very argument was a logical exercise.

'Strong' and 'weak' as logical terms are fine, but they press the wrong psychological buttons.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Just saying it isn't doesn't make it not. - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
         I think you're using too broad a brush. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             'There is no evidence for such a deity' - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 You keep saying "it must be a religion" - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     And you keep say'n my concept of God . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Re: And you keep say'n my concept of God . . . - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             herding drunks down the hiway is scientific? - (boxley)
                     Hey Pete! - (danreck)
         There is a shocking under-use of the correct label, - (Ashton) - (9)
             One more quote for Scott... - (danreck) - (6)
                 Russell wrote a *lot* about religion. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Understood - (danreck) - (2)
                         Thanks. :-) Don't let months pass between posts, ya hear? - (Another Scott)
                         On religious surveys... - (Another Scott)
                 Just a thought about labels - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     I happen to agree - (danreck)
             Agnostic is often a copout and/or as irrational as Atheism - (JayMehaffey)
             How about ... - (mmoffitt)
         Please don't rehash Pascal's Wager - (warmachine) - (4)
             Perhaps you would be more comfortable with . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Strong atheists - (crazy) - (2)
                 sturdy more than strong, nick was a strong before he convert -NT - (boxley)
                 Funny, - (imric)

Non-migratory, just like cocopabanana blaps.
103 ms