IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Condi _ _ _ _ who?
Have we noticed that the Mistress of Repetitive Cheery Fairytales.. has been imprisoned in her soundbyte-proof gingerbread castle for lo, these many weeks?

"Secretary of State" - now what was it again, that was about -- back before the Ascension?

What fashion show might the demons of dastardly divisiveness be reprogramming her for?
Can females fall on swords, too? (The result could be shocking for the cheeldrun of Modesty -- to see yet another bared breast in their tiny lifetimes! ..though the protruding messy sword part should be pretty routine now, by the time a std. tyke has reached age 5 or so.)

Hey.. since there's nothing much for her to do in an All Military operation, where we don't talk to anyone but sycophants: how about if she replaces that Alberto guy? who seems to be attracting more bloflies than a street in the East Bay (SF area) where that Walmart-of-Refuse, Waste Management, hasn't yet replaced the drivers they locked out.

Then there's [link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/22/INGDFR1UV512.DTL&hw=Joel+Brinkley&sn=004&sc=307| this] SFGate take on the AWOL Pollyanna Princess -

WANING INFLUENCE
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice finds that her star is fading

Joel Brinkley
Sunday, July 22, 2007

I remember the heady days for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

About 2 1/2 years ago, when she was new in office, I accompanied her on her first trip around the world, with stops in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, South Korea, Japan and China. Crowds gathered to see her limousine drive past; people whistled, waved and cheered. Interviewers routinely asked her whether she was planning to run for president. One TV reporter in India told her she was "arguably the most powerful woman in the world." She chuckled but did not exactly agree -- or disagree.

How things change.

A few months ago, she decided to write an opinion piece about Lebanon. She enlisted John Chambers, chief executive officer of Cisco Systems as a co-author, and they wrote about public/private partnerships and how they might be of use in rebuilding Lebanon after last summer's war. No one would publish it.

Think about that. Every one of the major newspapers approached refused to publish an essay by the secretary of state. Price Floyd, who was the State Department's director of media affairs until recently, recalls that it was sent to the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and perhaps other papers before the department finally tried a foreign publication, the Financial Times of London, which also turned it down.

As a last-ditch strategy, the State Department briefly considered translating the article into Arabic and trying a Lebanese paper. But finally they just gave up. "I kept hearing the same thing: 'There's no news in this.' " Floyd said. The piece, he said, was littered with glowing references to President Bush's wise leadership. "It read like a campaign document."

Floyd left the State Department on April 1, after 17 years. He said he was fed up with the relentless partisanship and the unwillingness to consider other points of view. His supervisor, a political appointee, kept "telling me to shut up," he said. Nothing like that had occurred under Presidents Bill Clinton or George H.W. Bush. "They just wanted us to be Bush automatons."

Does that sound familiar? Earlier this month, former Surgeon General Richard Carmona told Congress that Bush administration officials had repeatedly tried to weaken or suppress important public health reports because they clashed with administration dogma. He said he was ordered to mention Bush three times on every page of his speeches. Floyd's experience shows that the same close-minded zealotry afflicting many departments of government under Bush has descended on the State Department, too. In effect, as Rice's power and influence has waned along with Bush's, intolerance and monomania have taken its place.

Rice did have her moment. But little came of it. Under her predecessor, Colin Powell, major foreign policy decisions were made at the White House or Defense Department. The neo-conservative heavyweights -- Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, among others -- set the policies in Iran and Iraq, North Korea and Israel.

Powell left frustrated. But Rice came into office with Bush's inarguable support; she wore their close relationship on her sleeve. And, for awhile, that worked for her. She called mini-summits on Iraq, Israel and other topics. Everyone showed up. In many countries, she met with the president instead of her bureaucratic counterpart, the foreign minister. Wherever she went, she was a star.

But what has she accomplished? Iraq has slid far downhill in the past 2 1/2 years. Iran is no closer to giving up its nuclear development program than when she took office. Even though the Bush administration has done more than any other country to help the victims in Darfur, the carnage there continues unabated. Last week, the Sudanese government began bombing Darfur civilians again.

Relations with Russia, her area of speciality, have steadily worsened; a week ago, Russia dropped out of a key arms control treaty. Hugo Chavez, president of Venezuela, has evolved from an irritant to a menace as he moves to nationalize Venezuela's oil industry. Despite many visits to Israel and the Palestinian territories, she has had no appreciable impact on events there.

North Korea has shut down its nuclear reactor. That's an accomplishment. But I give most credit to Christopher Hill, the assistant secretary of state who continued pushing for a diplomatic solution even as administration hardliners disparaged his work. Hill despised them, and ultimately outlasted them.

From his new position at the American Enterprise Institute, John Bolton, the former U.N. ambassador, continues to call for "repudiation of the Feb. 13 deal" that Hill negotiated. But now Bolton is powerless.

Where does that leave Rice?

"I think there is nothing they can do now," Floyd argues. "It's too late. The negatives," primarily Iraq, "are too big. They take all the oxygen out of the room."

Joel Brinkley is a professor of journalism at Stanford University and a former foreign policy correspondent for the New York Times. Contact us at insight@sfchronicle.com.

'Course it wasn't she who opined, "Pres. Boosh is the smartest man I've ever met" -- but don't you just Know? she's said it Some place (without a tape recorder.)
New Analysis, anyone?
Not being an American, I haven't followed US politics to be certain of what happened.

• Was she plain incompetent?

• Was she liked by the Bush inner circle but undermined after policy disagreements?

• Was she placed for PR reasons but set up to fail?

• Has the US lost so much goodwill, success was impossible in the first place?

I'm going with the set up to fail option, myself. Any thoughts?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New My read,
# Was she plain incompetent?

Yes. Can you name a Bushie you would call competent? But incompetence is not a reason for a fall by Bush Admin standards. Also, remember who was NSA Chief on and before 9/11/2001? Enough said yet?

# Was she liked by the Bush inner circle but undermined after policy disagreements?

Unlikely. She's long been a Dub supporter and knows not to disagree. Not too long ago she went around vomitting the same lies and deceptions that Dub did.

# Was she placed for PR reasons but set up to fail?

Of course she was going to fail. This administration, in its entirety, is the gang that can't shoot straight. This is the Class of "D" students.

# Has the US lost so much goodwill, success was impossible in the first place?

Yep. We're toast.
bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
New Hard to say from the outside
Was she plain incompetent?

Was she placed for PR reasons but set up to fail?

Has the US lost so much goodwill, success was impossible in the first place?

Some combination of those are a big part of it but from outside Bush's inner circle it is hard to say which. In particular her handling of the Israel/Hezbollah war, where the US dithered around saying they where for peace but only on Israel's terms until it was clear that Israel was loosing. That badly hurt her credibility, but I suspect she was restrained by pro-war and pro-Israel forces at the top.

Was she liked by the Bush inner circle but undermined after policy disagreements?

She has been part of Bush's inner circle for some time. But apparently since becoming head of the State Department, she has been taking some positions against Cheney. And that is a loosing bet with this government.

It probably also hurts her that international negotiations rarely lead to simple win/loose action. Bush strikes me as the sort who is drawn to war in part because they are straightforward and decisive.

It has also been part of Cheney's policy from the start to undermine the State Department. Cheney and Rumsfeld and those around them have long worked to increase the power of the military at the expense of civilian command.

Jay
New Well,
heard Colin Powell speak the other day, and without giving a full review (great speaker in short), the impression given is that State is an impossible task for anyone in this administration. Too many spoons in the pot.

Not that Condi is/isn't qualified...on paper she's one member of this administration that actually IS qualified for the post she holds. But, given the way this admin works, its likely that her opinions are nullified by the wishes of the >real< inner circle.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Colon Powell. Great source.
Coverup of My Lai anyone? It sickens me that turd always gets a pass from the Meedja.
bcnu,
Mikem

New What?
40 years later?

Even Larry King asked about it during an interview...king of the softballers.

New He lied about it for decades.
And this is the turd everybody talks about as having "character?"
bcnu,
Mikem

New Differing opinions
he didn't lie about it. He dismissed it all together. And as foreign as it may be to you, he was in the military. Not exactly a bastion of open media policy.

His "official" report said that generally the soldiers were polite and that there may be some "isolated incidents".

New Tell that to Tom Glen.
Powell: "In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between Americal soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent."

No, that's not a lie. Excellent relations == being murdered. Please.
bcnu,
Mikem

New she has the ear of bush but cheney has poisoned her message
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Not sure about that ear, either:
Saw a translucent UTube? pitch for YAN interception from Shrub's earpiece -- it isn't just for reSelection campaigns, apparently -- maybe he wears it when Whatsername is talking 'to' him, too? Who Could Say fershure?
(I didn't view it, and on returning - it had gone to /null.)

I do notice that, now long after his earlier el-o-Cue-shun lessons and syntax tips -
he's getting sloppier than ever at the 'tuh's replacing the 'the's.. he still talks the way you speed-rite (though I gather that, in person you can speak Engrish reel Gud , just as, occasionally you slip and even write that way here. :-0 Still.. He Can't, nohow. Great role model for the tykes.)

Poor Condi - prolly a medium-competent academic, but an utter Failure at cheerleading with memorized BS cant == NoBody believes her standard patter now. Perfect next CIEIO material and an honorary bizness PhD.

New OT re mumbing relics
Can someone get Mr Shore of PBS news a cognac he couyld gargle the plehm out before the broadcast? Along with a remedial articulation course on pronunciation? He gargled vladimir so badly the other day I thought whoa, I hope he doesnt try to use nuklear in the same sentence.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Mr. Shorr has Props. He can say Vladimir ANY way he wants.

Expand Edited by Ashton July 30, 2007, 11:16:19 PM EDT
     Condi _ _ _ _ who? - (Ashton) - (13)
         Analysis, anyone? - (warmachine) - (8)
             My read, - (mmoffitt)
             Hard to say from the outside - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
                 Well, - (bepatient) - (5)
                     Colon Powell. Great source. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         What? - (bepatient) - (3)
                             He lied about it for decades. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Differing opinions - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Tell that to Tom Glen. - (mmoffitt)
         she has the ear of bush but cheney has poisoned her message -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             Not sure about that ear, either: - (Ashton) - (2)
                 OT re mumbing relics - (boxley) - (1)
                     Mr. Shorr has Props. He can say Vladimir ANY way he wants. -NT - (Ashton)

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
97 ms