IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Motorcycle wreck
We were walking back from our Founders Fest parade this morning, waiting to cross a major intersection. Two guys on motorcycles approached, going about 45 mph. Wearing helmets, shorts and t-shirts. One guy made it through the intersection. His buddy didnt. A car turned left right in front of him. He veered hard to avoid the crash but wiped out. He went bouncing and skidding in one direction down the road, his bike went the other.

OMFG. I ran into the street to keep other cars from running him over. He looked like hamburger. And then he GOT UP and walked to the sidewalk. I couldnt believe it. Blood everywhere. I was yelling at him not to move, I'm gonna call 911. Does he listen? No. He has to be all macho. It's just a flesh wound, he says. Umm, dude, you dont have any flesh left on your palms, forearms and legs. You have to say put. Nope. He says it's just a flesh wound. His buddy gets his bike out of the road. They thanked me for my concern and tried to shoo me away.

Well, my kids were pretty upset by what they just saw, so I walked them around the corner to call 911. Thankfully, an ambulance that had just been in the parade rounded the corner and I pointed him to the guy. I didnt stick around. We walked home. I hid from the kids in the bathroom and had a little cry. My adrenalin is still pumping. I want to puke. Kids are fine. I hope that guy is okay. I've always liked motorcycles, but never appreciated how vulnerable the rider is until I saw that guy bouncing head over heels down the road like a rag doll. And all that blood. Whew.
New They were dressed for disaster
and, apparently post-trauma - the guy was running on adrenalin and juvenile macho-conditioning, as you note (kinda like the Congress? as all turns to shit around them, but they insist on whistling past the cemetery, one more round.)

Condolences for having nose rubbed in all the trauma :-/

Thing is.. any ept cyclist is aware that leather, or for seconds - some modrin plastics - are about the only sane skin-savers around. Hell in summer in the inferno states, of course.. so we are apt to cheat. (You're supposed to be even more vigilant when you Know you are cheating - right?) But SHORTS - truly is the advertisement for: watch out! for this Idiot. Y'know?

It's a puzzlement.. and, while I've had bikes all my life (since a Whizzer motor on a bicycle pre-legal age) I don't, when asked today -- recount the freedoms, and the joys of mastering the physics. I don't proselytize.

Cel-fones, increasing driver inattention to road while playing with toys (and an excess of drivers who could never get their *L-plates removed) -- make it tougher than ever -- to live long enough to become adept at noticing the oft many subtle clues that you are driving near an idiot.

(Not much can save you from a sudden veer into your path, of course - any vehicle.)
Hey, not even bicyclists are safe from the cocooned oblivious masses, any more. Off-road, maybe.

* L-plates: an oasis of UK sanity re motor vehicles. Some people have Learner plates for years, proving incapable of passing the rigorous 'full license' exam. At least, others can spot that Big-L, pay heightened attention accordingly..

Bikes are a great experience -- but the learning curve means that, today, a tyro who doesn't go to a decent training school, well Before venturing into traffic -- is playing sucker-odds IMO.

New adrenalin and shock is what kept the pain off
as well as the $600 ambulance fee. Leather and plastic are best. durable denims unwashed for years are an acceptable wear but road rash is why I quit riding the dam things.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New cruel rejoinder remembered
I have heard it said that heedless cyclists serve the socially valuable function of keeping those hearts, livers and kidneys warm and irrigated until the recipient and surgeons are ready for the transplant.

organically,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Aye.
Here in the Atlanta metro area, traffic is awful - and stupid. As a result, you (generally) see two kinds of bikes on the road - those piloted by idiots in t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers, and bikes on trailers headed to safer places to ride...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Motorcycle wreck - (Lily) - (4)
         They were dressed for disaster - (Ashton) - (3)
             adrenalin and shock is what kept the pain off - (boxley)
             cruel rejoinder remembered - (rcareaga)
             Aye. - (imric)

Hm. It all seems to cancel out. I’m back to not caring.
63 ms