IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Doesn't CNN understand the concept of accuracy?
Any political essay requires an accuracy check, especially one presented in the style of Michael Moore. So CNN runs a "Reality Check" piece to counter the film SiCKO and they can't even quote the film properly.

[link|http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3135|http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3135]
The piece--dubbed a "Reality Check" by senior medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta--claimed that Moore "fudged the facts" [hyperlink not shown here] when critiquing the U.S. health care system ([hyperlink not shown here]). Gupta starts by acknowledging that the U.S. healthcare system placed 37th in the World Health Organization's rankings. The fact that Moore contrasts this with the Cuban system led Gupta to "catch" him: "But hold on. That WHO list puts Cuba's healthcare system even lower than the United States, coming in at number 39."

The fact that the U.S.'s healthcare system does about as well as a Third World island that's been under economic sanctions for the past five decades isn't much of a catch to begin with. But Cuba's WHO ranking actually appears in Moore's film. (As Moore's website pointed out [hyperlink not shown here], when CNN aired the relevant clip from his film, a CNN logo covered up Cuba on the list.)

The article reveals other misquotes of the film. How can a respected news organisation fail to check against the film they're analysing?

When Moore confronted CNN's Blitzer about the inaccuracies in their "reality check" segment, he responded: "Well, if we get that confirmed, obviously, we'll correct the record." And CNN did correct one thing\ufffdGupta acknowledged his error about Cuba's per capita spending ($25 versus $251). On CNN's Newsroom (7/10/07), Gupta seemed taken aback by the whole thing, saying, "Yesterday there was a lot said by Michael, quite frankly, lots of numbers thrown around, and it can get admittedly somewhat confusing."

A doctor cannot handle lots of numbers being thrown around? Did this person not study for a degree? Shouldn't he be laughed at for such a pathetic excuse?

Finding bias, cherry picking and factual inaccuracies in a Moore film can't be that difficult. How did people who can't even quote from their source properly get into journalism?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New next time you get a checkup by your MD
probably asian like Dr Gupta, ask him what the GNP of guam is, let us know will you?
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New The only problem is
that Gupta's not a doctor, he's a journalist, and fact checking is Part Of The Job.
New He is not an MD? then the whole show is BS
tune in fox 11:30 am Sunday Mornings and listen to a real doc
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

New I didn't say he wasn't an MD
I said he wasn't a doctor. How many patients do you think he sees in a day while beavering away at CNN?

Seeing as I don't get Fox up here (nor CNN, for that matter) it's pretty unlikely that I'll be tuning in to either one of those shows.

Besides, I don't really watch tv anymore; I'm either surfing the net or I'm playing my guitar, with the occasional contract at Bombardier to keep me in cake... had two gigs this weekend, but the Friday gig got canceled because the bar lost their liquor license. Oh well, guess I'll have to find something else to do tonight....
New As I recall hearing on TV, he does have a practice.
Also, early in the Iraq invasion, he was embedded with a military medical team. He even performed some surgeries on the wounded.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
New An MD arguing in favor of the status quo. Shocking.Really.

bcnu,
Mikem

Microsoft Vista. The best reason ever to buy a Mac.
New That's missing the point.
People, including doctors, arguing for the status quo is a certainty. Someone trying to find inaccuracies in a Micheal Moore film is not at all surprising. What is surprising is that someone, who shows inaccuracies that are easily and verifiably not present, is allowed on television. At least one researcher, editor or producer should have noticed. The presenter should have noticed. Then that person, used as an expert analyst, admits he can't handle statistics.

Is professional incompetance really this widespread in CNN? Or perhaps I should stop seeing incompetance when barefaced lying is sufficient explanation.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New watch al jazeera instead, they seem more balanced than
the beeb cnn or fox
[link|http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/55ABE840-AC30-41D2-BDC9-06BBE2A36665.htm|http://english.aljaz...-06BBE2A36665.htm] I think they are broadcast in the UK
thanx,
bill

New Hm, how seriously to take a complaint of "incompetance"...?
New Pilkunnussija. :)
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
     Doesn't CNN understand the concept of accuracy? - (warmachine) - (10)
         next time you get a checkup by your MD - (boxley) - (4)
             The only problem is - (jake123) - (3)
                 He is not an MD? then the whole show is BS - (boxley) - (1)
                     I didn't say he wasn't an MD - (jake123)
                 As I recall hearing on TV, he does have a practice. - (a6l6e6x)
         An MD arguing in favor of the status quo. Shocking.Really. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             That's missing the point. - (warmachine) - (3)
                 watch al jazeera instead, they seem more balanced than - (boxley)
                 Hm, how seriously to take a complaint of "incompetance"...? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Pilkunnussija. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Bila meludah, jangan begitu kuat, terima kasih.
186 ms