IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What does "big box" retail have to do with anything?
They have those stores in cities too.

Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Entirely dependent on having wheels.
New No they don't. Thats my point
From all major living areas of Philly there are dozens of big box retailers directly accessible via public transport (Home Depot, Loews, Best Buy, SuperWalmart, ShopRite, Sams Club, Bj's Wholesale, IKEA etc). All have delivery vehicles available for rent by the hour for anything too big to carry home.

And it always seems that we assume these huge retail shops are an american invention..but Carrefour started the hypermarket concept in the early 60s in France. Didn't catch on here until much later.

All the major malls in this area also have mass transit options for people from Philly.Re: Entirely dependent on having wheels.

Not that big a deal anyway, as his gloom and doom forecast of me being starved out of my cheese doodles in 2 years time is just a shade unlikely.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New WalMart has rolling warehouses.
Kunstler in [link|http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7203633/the_long_emergency|Rolling Stone]:

The way that commerce is currently organized in America will not survive far into the Long Emergency. Wal-Mart's "warehouse on wheels" won't be such a bargain in a non-cheap-oil economy. The national chain stores' 12,000-mile manufacturing supply lines could easily be interrupted by military contests over oil and by internal conflict in the nations that have been supplying us with ultra-cheap manufactured goods, because they, too, will be struggling with similar issues of energy famine and all the disorders that go with it.

As these things occur, America will have to make other arrangements for the manufacture, distribution and sale of ordinary goods. They will probably be made on a "cottage industry" basis rather than the factory system we once had, since the scale of available energy will be much lower -- and we are not going to replay the twentieth century. Tens of thousands of the common products we enjoy today, from paints to pharmaceuticals, are made out of oil. They will become increasingly scarce or unavailable. The selling of things will have to be reorganized at the local scale. It will have to be based on moving merchandise shorter distances. It is almost certain to result in higher costs for the things we buy and far fewer choices.

It's not only that suburban and rural shoppers (WalMart's original customers) need cars to get to WalMart, it's that their whole business model depends on being able to move vast amounts of goods vast distances by truck and ship. The end of cheap oil is going to put a big singularity in that calculus.

It's certainly a risk, but I'm not as confident that that will be the outcome as he is. I do think, though, that cities should become more popular and that could be a good thing if we handle the transition right.

Cheers,
Scott.
New walmaret is moving into end to end production
own the farms that shave the sheep that process the wool and make the clothes. They are aiming at a closed system.
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New They're still wheels, Bill
whether you think they will still be operating is an entirely different question... but you can't deny that the big box retail concept is completely dependent on their clientele having access to wheels of some kind.

In short, they suck horribly for pedestrians, as does most of suburbia. Places built before the war (like most city and town centres) don't. That's part of the reason that the people that live in them are in better shape, and they are better suited to a future in which energy is scarce and expensive, rather than cheap and abundant. The rest is hyperbole, at which Kunstler is quite good and entertaining.
     Kunstler - (Ashton) - (8)
         What does "big box" retail have to do with anything? - (bepatient) - (5)
             Entirely dependent on having wheels. -NT - (jake123) - (4)
                 No they don't. Thats my point - (bepatient) - (3)
                     WalMart has rolling warehouses. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         walmaret is moving into end to end production - (boxley)
                     They're still wheels, Bill - (jake123)
         Don't these places deliver? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
             What, by horse and buggy? - (bepatient)

Absorbant and yellow and porous is he!
39 ms